• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I got the first board that runs in front of the generator box in. I will let the liquid nails dry for a little while before I put the next one in.
IMG_1041.jpg
I will have to add another brace to the corner towards the bottom front. If you look at the picture above it has a screw holding it together. That screw will have to come out when I cut down the corner. I will add a brace anyways if I do not just to add support that corner.

It is hot!!! I really do not want to do much today.

I been doing a little work on the camper this morning. I got the next board installed late last night.
IMG_1042.jpg
I then installed the third board this morning. I tried something different and attempted to use nails. It just does not look right.
IMG_1043.jpg
I went ahead and used the old screw method. Looks a lot better!
IMG_1044.jpg
I have been messing with getting this window back in since last night. I first cleaned up all the butyl tape off the window. Then I cleaned up all the butyl around the window opening. This morning while installing the boards I put two coats of wood sealer on the wood around the window. Once both coats were dry to the touch I installed the window. Here it is installed, all it needs is some caulk. I will purchase the caulk next month.
IMG_1045.jpg
I next got the rear handle installed. Cleaned off all the old butyl tape and installed some new. I also used some stainless screws. Looks a lot better.
IMG_1046.jpg
I then got the last board installed. I will have to find a way to get all the siding up so I can draw on my trim line next. I still plan on installing the galvanized metal flashing on the back.
IMG_1047.jpg
I then installed some vertical boards across the bottom to help support everything. The one on the far right of the picture is needed for the trimming I will have to do soon.
IMG_1048.jpg
I will have to wait for the liquid nails to dry before I can remove the clamps. The two center boards at the moment is only being held in by the clamps.

This is how my dog helps me work on the camper.
IMG_1049.jpg
I got the 12V, propane. and 120V run back through the generator box.
IMG_1050.jpg
I then got the electrical connector soldered back together. I also ran it in some bright red wire loom.
IMG_1051.jpg
I need more stainless hardware so I can attach the jack plug.
It is suppose to be some bad rain in the next couple of days. I want to keep what I can dry.

I wish the weatherman would make up his mind.
Went to home depot and got some screws. Here is what I am using for the jack plug.
IMG_1052.jpg
Behind the jack plug was the metal that the factory had installed. I never removed it. The screws, screw into that metal to hold the plug.
I think I might purchase a black paint marker to darken the screws, maybe.
IMG_1053.jpg
I removed the clamps. Now it is time to temp install the siding so I can mark and cut. I will probably wait till tomorrow so the liquid nails can dry, a little more.
IMG_1054.jpg
I need to get the propane tank storage area door off. Someone used enough silicone on it to kill a small town.

Got the siding on, temporarily. I used some black 100 mile per hour tape. I should have used some masking tape.
IMG_1055.jpg
I got the markings on the wood for the cuts. Found out I needed to add more wood.
I added a piece across the bottom first.
IMG_1056.jpg
Then I added a piece toward the bottom front.
IMG_1057.jpg
You can see here were I marked up the wood for the cuts.
IMG_1058.jpg
I will probably now wait till next weekend to cut it down. I want the liquid nails to cure for a couple of days.
Probably not much more getting done this weekend.

While waiting on the liquid nails to dry I started removing the propane tank door, for the third time.
This thing had about four tubes of clear silicone holding it in.
Here it is removed.
IMG_1059.jpg
Here is the compartment with the door off. It is funny, this compartment is made of the same material as the water tank.
I can not remove it till I get the outside refrigerator door and the siding in between off.
IMG_1060.jpg
Here it is with the masking tape holding it all up.
IMG_1061.jpg
I removed some of the outer material that was falling off. Some of it does not look too bad.
IMG_1062.jpg
This is my outer plug. It is under the refrigerator. These pictures were intended to help me get it reinstalled.
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
Too bad I broke the plug getting the wires off.
IMG_1065.jpg
The wood around the plug and all around the area is in really bad shape. I do not know how good this picture will show up.
IMG_1066.jpg
All this time I thought the rear corner was in bad shape. I think under the fridge makes that area look perfect before I fixed it.
I still have a lot of work cut out for me.

tip for removing the push in wires from an outlet twist it back and forth while pulling and the wires work themselves right out.

I am just starting to find things to do know. I am out of money for the month. I do not want to rip too much out and let it get more damaged. If that is even possible. The first picture is the cover for the front of the generator box. The edges were peeling and I am attempting to get the peel glued back down. Here is step one.
IMG_1067.jpg
I then pulled the metal cover that runs down the underside corner off. I need this out of the way to get the propane line out. Then the plastic propane box.
IMG_1068.jpg
There is nothing I hate worst then when I break a tool. Especially when I was not abusing. This tool probably does not even have any warranty left.
IMG_1069.jpg
Here is step 2 with every clamp I own.
IMG_1070.jpg
I will keep working on the cover. Probably not a lot more else getting done this weekend.

I have a pair of Black & Decker hedge trimmers that match your clamp. I called the company headquarters and they sent me a new pair. Still junk design, and I'll never use them, but they look pretty hanging on the wall.

Marty. If it is a Sears Craftsmen, then try and take it back and get it replaced. They should do it. That good old lifetime warranty. :)

Not too much last two days on the camper. Just messing around with the access cover for the front of the generator box.
I got it glued back together and dry. Last night I started putting a coat of wood sealer on. I put a second coat on this morning.
IMG_1072.jpg
I am just waiting for the liquid nails to get good and dry before I start trimming off the wood. It may get rushed, it is suppose to rain Friday and Saturday.
Time will tell. :thumbsup:

This morning I cut off the long ends.
IMG_1073.jpg
Here they are all cut off.
IMG_1074.jpg
I then installed the front cover to the generator box. It like everything else still need some caulk.
IMG_1075.jpg
I got the curve all cut in. It took a while, I had a lot of wood and screws that had to be removed.
IMG_1076.jpg
I broke off the top outer front board. Not a big deal, just glued it back on. I was pushing to hard with the saw.
I used liquid nails across the top. Then put wood glue on the side. I sanded all the old liquid nails off with my dremel sander wheel.
IMG_1077.jpg
Here is a better picture, needs to be sanded and sealed. I will lay the siding on to get it more perfectly cut.
IMG_1078.jpg
Here is all the wood I cut off and the screws I removed. I will add back some of these screws.
IMG_1079.jpg
I figured I would hurry up and post something. It started raining Thursday night and all day Friday. I let everything dry out Saturday.
I need to get a lot done today to make up for the two lost days.
Back to the grind. :thumbsup:

Put all the siding up along with the generator door(with tape). I did a decent job getting all the wood up.
The door seemed to fit well, will not be able to tell for sure till all the siding is up for good.
IMG_1080.jpg
Had to do a little trimming down of the wood.
IMG_1081.jpg
First coat of sealer on. I will put on at least a second coat.
IMG_1082.jpg
Back to work. :eek:

I probably will not get too much done on the camper this weekend. It is suppose to rain all weekend. It has rained a little since Friday night.

I like the rain but, want to get some stuff done. :mad2:

I am going to order this on Tuesday 01 October.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045N0F6M/?tag=jhuntlink-20

It comes with a 2 year warranty. It will help me be able to tear the camper apart and leave it open in case it decides to rain.

I figure for the price it will be well worth it.

The rain this weekend was off and on. Hopefully next weekend will be nice.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice! I like that. I guess I didn't know such a thing was available. I have to keep a tarp on ours, even though it sits inside, to keep the bat crap and all the debris from the starlings off. Looks like a nice fit, too, so you'll be able to fend off the wind if it kicks up.

Back