• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Performance Tuning for the Tahoe

It can hit 20psi fast enough, 2400rpm I guess, as soon as it spools it jumps up with the fueling high enough. Other user I have helped tune also gets over 20psi boost.

I assume that is the HX40. 2000-2500 rpm's is were the HX52 lights. I tried a few different turbos and the 52 I like best,but its not lit under 30 psi.

No that is the ATT, the HX40 I haven't run yet, it will probably peg 20psi by 2000rpm. Dont have the ATT on it right now though, mailed it to someone to test out. Not driving the truck much because I need to swap an IP out, and I am using our older hybrid Escape until we sell it, since buying a new Equinox. Diesel prices are crazy compared to gas and the hybrid gets 27mpg. The IP gets hot after about 20 minutes driving and gets hard to start, and I also have the Camaro sitting around but the truck gets better MPG than it.

no that is the att, the hx40 i haven't run yet, it will probably peg 20psi by 2000rpm. dont have the att on it right now though, mailed it to someone to test out. not driving the truck much because i need to swap an ip out, and i am using our older hybrid escape until we sell it, since buying a new equinox. Diesel prices are crazy compared to gas and the hybrid gets 27mpg. The ip gets hot after about 20 minutes driving and gets hard to start, and i also have the camaro sitting around but the truck gets better mpg than it.

Rob zombie? Aka subclatter? member names?

What was the quote he said? Something about the turbo he is running being the best turbo ever. Sounds objective if he is doing the test. Maybe we should just let 6.5L do the testing and then get some good honest numbers,since we got a good base truck, and a real dyno not a butt dyno. Also the manual IP takes away any tuning anomalies as well.

I set my timing to 6 at idle,and 18 total,it ran ok but hazed slightly at idle. Set it to 8 at idle and 20 total,now it clatters a little to much at light load,but idles clean. Top end power is not terrible,makes power to 4500rpm's. Boost is high 40 psi,which makes me think it should have a little more total advance around 4000 rpms,but close enough for now.

What was the quote he said? Something about the turbo he is running being the best turbo ever. Sounds objective if he is doing the test. Maybe we should just let 6.5L do the testing and then get some good honest numbers,since we got a good base truck, and a real dyno not a butt dyno. Also the manual IP takes away any tuning anomalies as well.
Hmmm.... from wat 6.5l says he sounds biased too. ;)
You need to remember that what one person like the next person will not like . In the last 10 years of testing all manner of turbos i have not found the perfect turbo. One thing to remember , there is a multitude of variables between vehicles that effects turbos. As in the transmission , tires, gear ratio, timing, air filters, exhaust just to name a few . It's almost impossible to make 2 vehicles 100% the same.

My 6.2 bent the rods already. This is the third set that I bent,not are broken yet.

let's see em bent rods.

I have a set from my TDI that are bent, not a mark on them from the valves. Bet they are bent from boost, fuel and timing, not mixing very well. I think you are having the same issues =:skep:. You may have found the mechanical limit for boost and timing. :agreed:

I was just thinking it's been awhile since there was an update, and I'm curious how he knows they're bent (like the pan has ben off, etc.).

Stock C/R with high boost and horribly high timing advance, just curious...

If we need em more better rods, let's know.

I had the oil pan off several times,should check them again. Last I checked 6 of them were bent. Right now my total timing is 20 degrees,at full load,and 8 light load. It runs ok but its not enough at top end,and too much at part throttle. Seems about right from 2000-3500 rpm at max fuel and boost. Been having some tranny issues also. I have two 4l80-e's completely apart on the shop floor. So far it has broken a band,thrust washer,and now snapring,and every time I take it apart the first set of clutches are burnt.

First time I seen an air filter restrict 10 psi of boost. Stupid Spectre junk. I really should build some sort of cold air intake,and install an intercooler. I did yank the hood mat,might let some heat out.

Didn't I warn you about that piece of crap?!!
I have an afe that is twice that size on mine, and it is sucking the oil off the filter... a sign the filter is a smidgen too small.

Going from 30 psi boost to 40+,was enough to lift the heads. Since its oringed,it seals back up after cooling down. 12.9 head bolts are not ok,11.9 6.2 bolts are better.

Back