• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No start 95 S

This isn't the top truck in the signature, hadn't updated it yet when you posted. The K3500 with manual trans dumped a head gasket.

I'd bought the 2500 w/o title since it had a good cab, fair bed and I needed to do a cab and bed swap. PO said it wouldn't start after he had a craigslist mechanic replace flexplate. When the 3500 went down, I put a starter in it and haven't had a problem starting it. In fact it ran good. When doing a tune up I found someone had busted an ear off the distributor. Currently in shop getting that replaced. Got a title and decided to keep it on the road.

I found the C1500, was supposed to run good, reverse slipping, body in very good shape. Bought it as a parts truck, motor incase block/heads in K3500 cracked. K3500 needed doors, C2500 needed fenders bed from C2500 was going to K3500 and C1500 to C2500. Put the 1500 on the road while getting the 2500 ready. Found out a nearly bald rear tire was causing the limited slip to engage, guess this is what the PO thought was a trans slip. Hasn't slipped since I stuck a couple decent tires on it. Truck is too nice to part.

Now I'm stuck with none of them working.
I never knew our 95 1500 series 6.5 diesels ever came with 4L60E's. I'll have to check the Tahoe. I thought it had a 4L80E. Might better start another post

Im tired and recapping in my head so cut me some slack if I go sideways... he said fuel out injectors, wd40 wouldn't start. Ohm test glowplugs, (but ive seen that test be worthless more than once). Cranking sounded normal? If thats the case it would start, so something is not as it seems.

I would pull the 5 easy to reach plugs, open air test them while out to make sure they get red hot.
Compression test if you have or can get a tester from autoparts store.
Crank engine as if trying to start with plugs out and watch for fuel misting out the glowplug holes. This is where it counts to get fuel. Even without a compression tester a dead hole or two would show up. Really I want to say do all 8 cylinders, but 5 should get you some info.
Heat,compression,fuel- kinda all there is.

Got stuck working late and only had time to get the switch swapped, what a PIA. Still need to put the dash together.

Didn't have a second person to crank while I sprayed WD. I did crank with no change.

I've got to work later tomorrow and I'm headed out of town for the weekend. So I won't be able to do much more until next week weather permitting.

Will try to check the input screen of the IP, functionality of FSO, and PMD voltages tomorrow.

Got stuck working late and only had time to get the switch swapped, what a PIA. Still need to put the dash together.

Didn't have a second person to crank while I sprayed WD. I did crank with no change.

I've got to work later tomorrow and I'm headed out of town for the weekend. So I won't be able to do much more until next week weather permitting.

Will try to check the input screen of the IP, functionality of FSO, and PMD voltages tomorrow.
Remember you have to check for voltage back to the IP also.

Quit slackin man! We know your sleeping at night- knock that off and turn a wrench- haha

Sometimes the big boss man upstairs figures you need a break from it and makes it happen.

Haha, no i meant a break from the rig, but then again, sometimes I'm sure He figures we don't need as much sleep as we want that night.

Kinda my life philosophy- if the devil is trying to get at me, it aint getting under my skin like it used to, and if it's God throwing good or bad at me who am I to argue? So either way I might as well take whats coming in stride.

Not only was there a bunch of water standing where the truck was parked, got 2+ inches of rain over the weekend, mom needed help. Mom gets priority over truck.

Got back to it this afternoon.
Last Thurs:
Installed new ignition switch. Got more smoke but still no start.
Following instructions from DieselPro to test pump pulled 4 glows and cranked. Once I blew all the WD40 out I could see and smell puff of fuel from all cylinders with cranking.

Today
Tested all glows. They worked properly. I wouldn't have installed Autolites but they were all working.
Tested batteries. Load test was on low side of good. Cranking done with charger running (not boost)
Cranked and got good smoke no start.

Reconnected PMD extension and tested voltages.
Ignition on Engine Off
A - GND
B - 0
C - GND
D - 14+ hooked to charger, 12 charger off
E - 6V
F - GND

Eng Crank
A - 2V
B - last reading taken, battery charge way down couldn't crank long enough for DVM to stabalize before bogging
C - GND
D - 14+V
E - have nothing noted for this one will check tomorrow
F - GND

Pulled codes
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault
DTC 41 - Brake Switch Circuit Fault

It sucks when you can't get a vehicle inside to work on it.

Not to throw parts at stuff, but I would change the batteries and cables - I add an OEM style cable from the alternator to the battery that does not presently have an alternator cable going to it - & add the extra grounds that I always add, if the batteries are not up to snuff.

I also add stainless star washers when I do grounds to help insure good connections - Then I slather it all up with Kopr Kote or Nickle Anti-seize.

I always say, fix what you know is broke first and possibly the other stuff will fix itself - never works for me, but I say it anyway.

Life kinda caught up with me for a little while.

Replaced batteries.
Cleaned grounds.
Truck now has 2/0 pos and neg cables with 4AWG going from battery to fuse box, alternator to both batteries and both batteries to fenders.

Checked voltages at original PMD jrsavoire your test extension is set up for the grey PMD plug and my spare is a black one.
Pin B (PMD output) was getting voltage from there but could not get a stable reading.

Still no start and looked like very little smoke on crank, breeze might have been in wrong direction for me to see.

Life kinda caught up with me for a little while.

Replaced batteries.
Cleaned grounds.
Truck now has 2/0 pos and neg cables with 4AWG going from battery to fuse box, alternator to both batteries and both batteries to fenders.

Checked voltages at original PMD jrsavoire your test extension is set up for the grey PMD plug and my spare is a black one.
Pin B (PMD output) was getting voltage from there but could not get a stable reading.

Still no start and looked like very little smoke on crank, breeze might have been in wrong direction for me to see.
Sorry about that. Is there something you can file to make it work? Maybe Leroy can chime in here.

I used the harness on my 94, plugged in to the extension cable and the engine harness. If you can make it work, feel free

Starter spins fine.

Jrsavoie if you can easily find one that would be fine. I don't know if testing with the spare PMD would do any good. All input signals to the PMD are good through the extension cable. Output I"m not sure of. With the spare PMD hooked directly to the IP there is no difference. It should be getting the same inputs and it has been run for <1 minute testing on another vehicle.

I could see and smell puff of fuel from all cylinders with cranking.

Today
Tested all glows. They worked properly.
Pulled codes
DTC 29 - Glow Plug Relay Fault
DTC 41 - Brake Switch Circuit Fault

Looks like the computer is telling you what else is wrong. Make sure the glow plug system is also working. I would remove a glow plug, put in a pair of grounded vice grips, leave the engine harness plug on it and cycle the glow plugs with the ignition switch. Does it glow? Verify at least you got 12v on both banks with the glow plug (or WTS) light is on. If the glow plug system is working verify the ECM is getting a signal from the glow plug harness when the plugs are "on". Perhaps swap ECM's with the test truck.

Block heater work? I have had luck in Colorado winter weather to get a 6.2 started without glows just on the block heater.

Without looking at a schematic is there anything related to the brake switch and glow plug relay? Still acts like a rub through short somewhere.

At some Point, you must draw a Line...

Try an ECM from a Buddy or a Car that runs...

Otherwise...

Throw everything out... IP and ECM...

Good Luck...
Gunar

Back