• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

motors motors motors

well that is the crank pulley and not the HB. I wonder if that's not more from the accessories sudden and varied loads more than harmonics. ie start and stop of AC, sudden drag from PS, sudden drag from Alt

No ones mentioned the scat crank. Cast iron vs. steel (I'm a little fuzzy if its cast or forged - sorry). Now just suppose a guy was to use a scat crank with a gear drive? And a fluid damper? How does that change things? I mean other than magically subtracting about $1500 from your wallet lol

No ones mentioned the scat crank. Cast iron vs. steel (I'm a little fuzzy if its cast or forged - sorry). Now just suppose a guy was to use a scat crank with a gear drive? And a fluid damper? How does that change things? I mean other than magically subtracting about $1500 from your wallet lol

you should have a stronger rotating assembly with less vibrations but iirc fluiddampnr will not warranty their balancer if you use a scat crank.

Ok my two cents worth or should I say my brothers. Mechanical engineer and he talked me out of the gear drive. I have one. He said that the chain isolates more harmonics.Where as the gear drives can build frequency harmonics between the valve train and crank/ Hope I repeated that correctly. He was talking a
bout frequency harmonics between the two not transfer of harmonics. Also said that the natural frequency the gear drive resonates at would depend on rpm and weight factors between the engine parts. Way over my math capabilities. Prob didn't splain it right Oh well :???:

Ok my two cents worth or should I say my brothers. Mechanical engineer and he talked me out of the gear drive. I have one. He said that the chain isolates more harmonics.Where as the gear drives can build frequency harmonics between the valve train and crank/ Hope I repeated that correctly. He was talking a
bout frequency harmonics between the two not transfer of harmonics. Also said that the natural frequency the gear drive resonates at would depend on rpm and weight factors between the engine parts. Way over my math capabilities. Prob didn't splain it right Oh well :???:

Nah, you go it right enough in layman's terms...

Hey Paveltolz, ealier you mentioned 'harland sharp roller rockers'. I looked at their site and saw nothing dealing with our 6.5's. Could you elaborate a little?

http://www.xtremediesel.com/harlandsharprollerrockerarms65lgmdiesel.aspx
$650 a set
Supposed to free up HP through reduced friction...15HP estimation IIRC

"Harland Sharp D-Force Roller Rocker Arms are manufactured in-house ensure maximum strength and durability for your GM Valvetrain The D-Force roller rocker arms also feature a roller tip for superior friction reduction and increased performance. For use in racing applications, and with no required modifications, the D-Force roller rocker arms from Harland Sharp truly are the simplest way of maximizing your diesel engines valvetrain performance!"
Features:
•16 Bronzed bushed rocker arms
•Roller tip bridges
•Billet spacers

Roller rockers are worth the $ on a gas motor making serious HP and you're zinging it up around 6 grand. Not so sure the $ are worth it on a low RPM application. It can't hurt but that's pricey.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/harlandsharprollerrockerarms65lgmdiesel.aspx
$650 a set
Supposed to free up HP through reduced friction...15HP estimation IIRC

"Harland Sharp D-Force Roller Rocker Arms are manufactured in-house ensure maximum strength and durability for your GM Valvetrain The D-Force roller rocker arms also feature a roller tip for superior friction reduction and increased performance. For use in racing applications, and with no required modifications, the D-Force roller rocker arms from Harland Sharp truly are the simplest way of maximizing your diesel engines valvetrain performance!"
Features:
•16 Bronzed bushed rocker arms
•Roller tip bridges
•Billet spacers

Had a look at their site, no mention what the ratio is on them..... looks similar to the ones that Peninsular was advertising last year. The price is quite steep, but will free up power and reduce internal engine wear. Nice to see the added after-market support for these power-trains....:thumbsup:

I have a set on my 428. they were about $350 when I got them. probably another case of someone buying them and reselling with big markup

Well, if they do free up approximately 15 HP, that comes to around $44 per HP. Not bad if you look at it that way. What's the Heath cam running?

Right around 600.. but after the conversation I had with Bill.. Sounds like there is way more then 15 hp to be had with his cam !!!
Either of them for that matter.

I worry about the longevity of aluminum rockers. Back in the day with I helped a buddy with his drag car the crane rollers he was using was a one season use thing or risk them cracking in the trunnion. If the Mfg grantees them for long term street use fine. I know some of the cast steel rollers are ok for OEM replacements. So are these Hardland Sharps steel?
Also with rollers sometimes you have to tweak the push rod length to get the roller running in the center of the valve tips. Very important.

So are these Hardland Sharps steel?
Also with rollers sometimes you have to tweak the push rod length to get the roller running in the center of the valve tips. Very important.
Yes they are aluminum. Had to do custom pushrods on the 428

I wonder if these rockets are from one mfg and then distributed through the various suppliers. OR, are there multiple 'brands', so to speak?

There are thousands on top of thousands of people trying to make horsepower gains with gasser motors that want roller rockers of one type or another. There's what, hundreds trying to make HP gains with a 6.x GM diesel? Who would you market to? And if you DID make them specifically for the 6.xs then what would you have to charge to get your investment back?... Way more than the 6.x community would pay to make the investment even close to making it worth doing. I hear ya guys but the aftermarket is out of earshot.

Back