• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

motors motors motors

I dont recall if Pete Jackson still or ever made gear drives for our 6.5's, but IIRC, they made noisy and quiet gears.
I selected the 'noisy' ones. Quiet was bevel gears, not straight cut spurs so I'm sure they were quieter.
And no, IDK if they made 'em for 6.5s. I was a gas and racing guy all those years. As low as the RPMs are on diesels, I doubt if it would be nearly as annoying.

theres one company that makes them for the 6.2/6.5, runs about 400 bucks. I'm trying to decide whether to grab that or go with a new double roller timing chain on this build

Not dredging up old arguments, but I believe the controversy started by steaksauce really had no basis or merit. That being said, the concern with harmonics would be countered with a harmonic damper. Nuff said.

With all the time we spend on making everything perfect, wouldn't we want our timing to be rock solid as well?

My gear drive... "DSG".. in my 6.5 has a very distinct "PJ" stamped into it, I'm thinking it was on the cam gear.

If you can down load this pic and or blow it up / zoom in on it, you can slightly see the "PJ" just aft the 12:00 position on the cam gear, those stampings led me to believe it was actually a Pete Jackson gear drive.
100_4493.jpg

Mike

My gear drive... "DSG".. in my 6.5 has a very distinct "PJ" stamped into it, I'm thinking it was on the cam gear.

If you can down load this pic and or blow it up / zoom in on it, you can slightly see the "PJ" just aft the 12:00 position on the cam gear, those stampings led me to believe it was actually a Pete Jackson gear drive.
View attachment 32452

Mike

Like everything else today buy from someone else and sell it for more. PJ drives, at least for the SBC, are relatively cheap

My project is still under construction... Almost done and almost ready to fire up though. My buddy that I got my parts from, said that you couldn't hear it all that much over the diesel rattle / clatter and or over the turbo whistle, but I will let everyone know when I get it up and running.

Not dredging up old arguments, but I believe the controversy started by steaksauce really had no basis or merit. That being said, the concern with harmonics would be countered with a harmonic damper. Nuff said. With all the time we spend on making everything perfect, wouldn't we want our timing to be rock solid as well?
OK I will. :hihi:
Its interesting to note the racing applications that needed/used the Pete Jackson type gear drive have gone to a belt drive as the new thing.
If you want an illustration of the issues harmonic gear vs chain. Look at chain drive vs shaft drive motorcycles. Not a perfect compare I will grant but they go through all sorts of things to keep the shudder and surge out of the drive line. Chain drive bikes get by with a rubber cush hub.
One of the big pushers of gear cam drives on another site actually had two or was it three broken cranks while using them in his project truck. This wasn't noticed till one of his buddy's let it slip.

I guess I really should have used 'should' instead of would. Sorry for any confusion. And while I have no experience with gear drives (all just my theory), it is interesting about the belt drive

Lookin like I'll be going with the chain instead, would rather replace that when its needed than break a crank with this build.

Waiting for parts to arrive, hate waiting haha

I'm just not buying the steaky-harmonics break the crank- thing... (or anything else that lyin' piece of crap has to say!). Seeing as how there have been a gazillion race motors built with gear drives and been stressed a helluva lot harder than any 6.5. Loping cam and all...

steaksauce...... where's the beef!
haven't smelled that fart for a long time although i ran across one of his "extrordinary" sites the other day. prob when i searched "bull$#!+".

steaksauce...... where's the beef!
haven't smelled that fart for a long time although i ran across one of his "extrordinary" sites the other day. prob when i searched "bull$#!+".

Don't know this steaksauce person of whom you speak, Don't really want to. He was not involved in the aforementioned incident.
But we know through the more complex than usual damper GM saw fit to put on the 6.5 and we know when that fails and its not fixed ASAP the crank is a goner, and we know the 6.5 will occasionally break cranks in normal use. So for me I am not going to change the "tune" of the moving parts. Also its a cost benefit thing as well. A lot of bucks for fuzzy benefits. The computer engines will compensate for chain stretch, set the timing on the mechanical's with a meter every couple of years and you are good too. Save n my 400$ for ahhhhh a tank of diesel :hihi:

BTW the Olds diesels have a single row chain to make room fer the IP gear. I have never (had mine since about 85) heard tell of one breaking. They will stretch enough to warrant an adjustment in 50K miles or so.

Folks considering this or that can hear all sides of the argument and make decisions fully informed. Wish election politics worked that way...

more complex than usual damper GM saw fit to put on the 6.5 .

would you please explain how you feel this is more complex than usual

more complex than usual damper GM saw fit to put on the 6.5 . would you please explain how you feel this is more complex than usual
OK :cool:
IMG_20120306_151005.jpg
Toward the back of the Pulley/damper assembly is the weight ring that is attached to the hub with a rubber molded part, per usual. In the front is another ring that is the belt pulley that is isolated by another wide rubber ring. They saw fit to isolate the crank from accessory drive surges plus I bet it is dual tuned to a wider band of harmonics than usual or maybe tuned to two peaks. Any way its a lot of extra money that GM never spends if it does not have to.

There were no additional "degreeing" key ways on the crank gear.. and it came off from a 6.5 The instruction sheet that I got from my buddy, (came with all kinds of receipts) says DSG Canada on top of it. I do have a very hard time believing that a gear drive can cause crank failure on one of these engines...

I think the failure these engines endure is "GM's" fault. Or just go with a GEP foundation.

Back