• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

motors motors motors

cam card gives all the specs on the cam lift, duration,etc it's especially helpful when trying to "degree" a cam.

so my gl4 still may be out of the ?

cam card gives all the specs on the cam lift, duration,etc it's especially helpful when trying to "degree" a cam.

Ak, call Bill and see if the 'cam card' could be sent with the cam if requested. Every cam is degreed when it comes in, before it is sent to the new customer. Very time consuming!

Slim. Paul still has the ATT and with the fun factor of that larger turbo giving all that much more boost I wouldn't be too surprised if it was set back on that engine, after it was broke in that is! My dually is about 3,000 pounds heavier than Paul's 1/2 ton. And my truck really hauled butt. His much lighter truck should really perform with the that engine and hotter cam and larger turbo!! I may have showed Paul a few bad habits with the loud pedal in his truck, but what do you expect from an old drag racer and retired truck driver!!

uhh I don't think you understand how degreeing a cam works. You degree it when you install it in your engine as to manufacturers spec or you can advance or retard it a couple of degrees to change the powerband a little. At least that's how it works on a gasser and I would think the diesel would at least be similar. I'd venture to say most aftermarket cams come with a cam card.

I think that most people would not understand what you are saying Ak Diesel Driver. Unless you have been around speed shops or built motors most people have probably not degreed a cam in an engine. Most just plug and play. Maybe you should explain the process in general detail. Here is a little PDF on the subject from Comp Cams

http://www.compcams.com/technical/instructions/files/145.pdf

X2 Slim, usually only racers or performance nuts really worry about degreeing a cam. Most just plug and play. And with this cam, there aught to be lots of play!

degreeing a cam i have seen on tv but not in person. i understand the reason but not the process. i think it's a science because there are so many other factors to consider: balancing, spring rates, boost, rpm, etc................

the main resaon for degreeing a cam is to check for maching errors/tolerances. While I've never had one off very far I've read about up to 4* off

Trying to think of how one would make an offset woodruff key and still keep it secure.. Or cut a new keyway in the cam gear and use a different 'zero' position on the gear. ...or a multi keyway crank gear like an aftermarket gasser jobby. Could be done..

Does the 6.2/5 cam 'gear' drive (if still available) have multiple keyways? I dunno..

(to degree a reground cam properly)

Just dug out my gear drive set up to look at it and it looks like an offset key on the crank or cam or both would be the way to go

AK, what's your thought on gear drives? Or anyone for that matter. Is it worth the $? I know it won't stretch over time, but will it affect timing under various loads or rpm's? I guess 'walking' might be the correct term?

If a cam is going to be run with a gear drive they give you a gear with 3 keyways in it for -4*, 0*, +4* so you can degree in. Might be 2 or 3 deg because it's been awhile. Does the same thing as the eccentric bushings they give you with a double roller chain drive (like Ak referred to).
I had one straight cut Pete Jackson gear drive on a SBC I built. It was a cool sound... for a couple of weeks. I never built another motor that was for anything other than race only with a gear drive.

my gear drive set up doesn't have the extra slots on the crank gear but it is the only gear in the set that wasn't still in the original package. I have a Milodon gear drive on my 428 and I will say that the timing is rock solid (doesn't bounce around) compared to a chain. There has been alot of discussion/controversy about harmonics and the gear drive. I don't know how one would go about proving any of the theorys. Almost all industrial diesels use gear drives ,for longevity as much as anything. I know one of the biggest opponents of gear drives in the 6.5 is/was Steaksauce

my gear drive set up doesn't have the extra slots on the crank gear but it is the only gear in the set that wasn't still in the original package. I have a Milodon gear drive on my 428 and I will say that the timing is rock solid (doesn't bounce around) compared to a chain. There has been alot of discussion/controversy about harmonics and the gear drive. I don't know how one would go about proving any of the theorys. Almost all industrial diesels use gear drives ,for longevity as much as anything. I know one of the biggest opponents of gear drives in the 6.5 is/was Steaksauce

Then they must be a good thing.:D

Back