• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mikes Crew Hauler

Quoted from the Dealer.....

"Here is the verdict. We can fix the truck in Elmira at our Ford store. It is going to cost us a total of 980.00, there is nothing as far as profit in this deal, BUT, we will eat 480.00 of it, leaving you 500.00. We have to pay our share internally, so I do need you to get it to them.
This is truly the best that I can do. With it being not a powertrain issue that would be covered under warranty, I am not responsible for any of this on a used vehicle, but am trying to help you out the best I possibly can.

Let me know what you want to do. If you are going to go Elmira Ford I will have Doug set it up for the day and time that you can get there."

So apparently, its only law in NYS that a Dealer must include a 30 day warranty with vehicles they sell not labelled "as-is". SO it seems as if my new truck that i have sunk over 1K into already now needs another possible 1K in parts/labor.

Honestly, the law is the law. So i'm screwed here, however i'm more concerned with the principle of this ordeal as i was told a sales agent from their office drove the truck for a week before me and it drove beautifully. But i had to have the shot tires re-balanced as it vibrated at 40-75. And now i cant get the thing to take more than 10 cents at a time at the pump. You would think with a 26 gallon tank and getting 11 mpg they would have had to fill the truck (i do almost 2x per week). I honestly think there were issues hidden, and I'm calling the Dealer out on it.

Also wondering just how much profit a dealer makes off a used vehicle? According to this (if i took the deal to fix the canister) that would have been 1K off the total price, leaving no profit for them?! They cant be making only 1K profit, whats the point of selling this rig then?

My plan now is I'm going to fix it myself, the TSB parts are approximately $200 bucks, so $300 for my labor to install is worth it to me.
I am going to go after the dealer to get my $130 diagnosis fee i had to pay Lincoln for. I feel "cheated" out of this money for sure.

What do you guys think? Minus the fact i shoulda' bought a GM haha.

At this point, any penny you get is 'found money'

If you can get reimbursement for the diagnosis fee, the parts for free, and have the time to fix it yourself, I'd call that a win-win-win.

Bonus is if you happen to have the sales rep's statements in writing (E-mail, etc) that it drove fine where you cannot reconcile that against the vibrations at speed and immediate repairs necessary to correct, it might work as leverage to get the win-win-win.

At this point, any penny you get is 'found money'

If you can get reimbursement for the diagnosis fee, the parts for free, and have the time to fix it yourself, I'd call that a win-win-win.

Bonus is if you happen to have the sales rep's statements in writing (E-mail, etc) that it drove fine where you cannot reconcile that against the vibrations at speed and immediate repairs necessary to correct, it might work as leverage to get the win-win-win.

Yeah, i agree.

I fired an email back to them saying i was very disappointed with the ordeal (how many trips i made down to PA, plus making me pay a diagnosing fee for you!) and asking about 30 day warranties as thats the norm here in NYS. No reply yet.

I don't have the statement in writing, it was just verbal unfortunately. But i hoped to bring it back up to her as collateral for how i stood, my Fiance and i were both there when she said it. Typical dealer, mask problems.

I like your idea on the parts. They still havent even sent me my check for the $500 i got off the truck the day of the deal because the tires were garbage. I deliberately told her i didnt want to put tires on this truck till next season. They barely passed inspections so she says they are good. B.S.

If she doesnt get back to me by the end of the day im going to take it as she is avoiding and im going to call the dealer.

I know in MN, they just have to tell you that there is or isn't a warranty at the time of purchase.

My dad's 08 F250 gets a new charcoal filter once/yr, last year I unplugged the hoses and stuck small inline fuel filters on the hose ends. Found out every time he "topped off" the tank to get the next even # he was squirting gas into the vent hose.

He has to replace calipers and rotors every 2 yrs.

Hasn't gotten over 25k on cam timing phasers but won't install a phaser lock kit.

Result is, he traded it in on a new dodge 3500 Cummins yesterday

My dad's 08 F250 gets a new charcoal filter once/yr, last year I unplugged the hoses and stuck small inline fuel filters on the hose ends. Found out every time he "topped off" the tank to get the next even # he was squirting gas into the vent hose.

Hasn't gotten over 25k on cam timing phasers but won't install a phaser lock kit.

Welcome him to "The Darkside"... Warn him that any Cummins engine parts will bring tears to his eyes if he has to pay for them.

There has got to be an aftermarket or improved fill vent design w/o a damn canister being involved. You know like the ones on fuel tank fill necks used for the past like 100 years?

Yeah, i really wanted to get back into a Diesel, but the Fiance prefers the gas jobs. After this truck, i am DEFINITELY going back to diesel on the next one.
I have always hated the 5.4L, always will, and yet ended up with one (couldn't find a V10 or Diesel in good shape at the time). Like i said, her family is the Ford family, and even with all the issues makes my life easier when i drive one. Im an old school pushrod Ford guy.
Ive looked into the phaser lock kit, its like $600 bucks isnt it?!
I honestly like the truck however, comfy and looks like a beast. Just dont like the powerplant.

Secretly switch the engine to a 6.5TD. Say the extra noise is the Phasers going bad...

If they are splitting half, are they just giving you the parts and you do labor?

If your in a situation where the family around you is the pressure for the truck, keep asking them to borrow their rig while you're in in the shop, again.

With the wife, just have to track the $. You've got many years to go with her (hopefully) and there are times to take a set back so she learns to trust your judgement. My wife disagreed with me on every car for the first 6 years. Now she knows better and is enjoying her low mpg MB diesel and driving a beat up suburban when needed long enough we saved $ for a used Escalade. Now a happy wife (and we know THAT is important) trusts every call I make on cars.

Ok not every call, I still don't have a duece and a half.

My dad really doesn't care. He will use up the warranty and trade it in on the next. He bought the Ford new and after he paid it off he thought he would use it as a beater/feed truck. Then the engine quit (40k mile JY replacement went in), tranny lost 2 gears (partial rebuild), solenoid failed in the tranny, tq converter failed (I joked from lack of torque to convert lol), trans completely failed (Jasper reman now in), phasers started shaking, the charcoal filter plugged again, the ac quit again, and the 4x4 quit again (front axle seals quit and vacuum pump can't draw vacuum). That all happened over 10 months lol He said how bad can a Cummins be?!

He won't buy a dmax (anti GM), also anti power choke, but he has a '13 2500 Hemi and thought he'd add a cab and chassis 4x4 Cummins with the Aisin trans

The 5.4 with 4.56 gears, cam phaser blocks, and a mechanical front axle lock will make you happier. I'm not against any brand or build, IMO they all have their flaws.
This is kinda where i sit right now. I really don't care what brand it is. I really like the truck, its very spacious and i love having a solid front axle now. I did my first alignment in the driveway, this save $100 bucks every time and is super easy.
I think with a few mods (id love a power adder) it would be plenty for what i need.
Sill in disagreement with the dealer. Left a VM to the Manager today. I just want my money back and the parts so i can replace.

Well, I received my plates last Friday as well as my $500 check. I believe the Dealer is also going to send me the parts for the TSB Vapor Canister.

Shined up the truck last week. Quick hand wash and wax before winter. Could definitely tell its never been waxed. A few pictures out behind my Dad's place (since the view is so much better than my suburb house).

IMG_1347_zpsm73etdxz.jpg

IMG_1346_zpsxhnh8ar5.jpg

IMG_1345_zpsjltknjny.jpg

Then i removed the ricer pedal covers. In search of a new rubber brake pedal pad. NAPA only had a GM and Ford stick truck pedal set.

IMG_1348_zpsvgymgo95.jpg

Why not include a pic of the pup chillin' on the front seat waiting for Mom to finish getting groceries.

IMG_1355_zpskfjvbna7.jpg

You can always buy a 6.5 "project" truck for fun.
Haha,

Someday. Right now i don't have any time for projects with work, lots of travel. I pulled the engine to my mustang about 2 years ago, got the motor bored, rebuilt and still haven't put it back in the car. Going to get moving on that one over this winter. The Fiance wants to have it going for the Wedding next year.

Back