• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Long, slow build of my truck

Whats plan for manifolds?

I have another block that I'm gonna be picking up to mock them up on. Realistically its never gonna go in my truck, but I would like to find a c1500 or c10 single cab long bed and drop it in there. Kind of a budget build. I got those head studs for free, I got these manifolds for $50, I would like to find a mechanical 6.5 engine on the cheap, freshen it up, throw the studs in it, and make some crazy center mount setup on it. Have a turbo poking through the hood or something.

Ran a Tech2 on the truck tonight because its been down on power since the stepper motor backed out. Determined that the computer is commanding the stepper motor to do its job, but the motor isnt working. Additionally, we tried the Time Set function on the scanner, to relearn TDCO and the truck did not respond at all. Gonna be trying a good used stepper motor this weekend. Hopefully that takes care of it.

I know what you could do with those manifolds :)

Oh yeah? Lol give me some ideas.

On another note, my fuel system parts have almost all arrived. Today I received my Feed the Beast kit from WalkingJ. Additionally I have a fuel filter adapter from Napa that will be the pre-lift pump filter, and a friend of mine who techs for Cummins was able to snag a fuel filter adapter with pressure ports, which will be the under-hood filter to replace the FFM. Leroy was kind enough to work out a deal with me to take my new FRC10 back towards a Raptor, so next week I will be ordering that as well. I'm not gonna pull the bed to get at the sending unit till spring at the earliest, but the truck will have 3/8" line from the lift pump to the IP, and the Raptor to supply it all. Im hoping that by mid-February the injection pump stepper motor is resolved, the KOJO tune is in, and the fuel system is done. She should boogie pretty good I think.

The Raptor will come with 1/2" hose! Dont have to use it though?

I think I'll try it with the 3/8 and if it's not enough we will go bigger!
Thanks again for the tip top customer service as always Leroy. The new/old pump is in the mail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Do you want to purchase the Raptor now and then I refund entire FRC10 or have me invoice you for the difference once I receive the FRC10?

Great. Do you want to purchase the Raptor now and then I refund entire FRC10 or have me invoice you for the difference once I receive the FRC10?

Invoice me when you get the FRC10. Gotta wait to get paid next week, don't want to dip into Duramax savings ;)

More parts rolling in. Got 2 new 195* Ac Delco Tstats from RockAuto, along with rad hoses, reservoir cap and hose, feed the beast components, a new 6" tip to replace my 5" (because bigger tips = more power right??? :D) and also a new hinge/latch assembly for my new tailgate too. Not pictured is the 3/8" fuel line and barbs, Cummins fuel filter adapter, and Napa fuel filter adapter. Hope to have the Raptor either the end of next week or beginning of the following week.

Update on the injection pump stepper. Put a new (used) stepper on tonight, seems to be working okay. Cleared the CEL and drove it around a bit, no more CEL. So I believe the stepper is doing what it is supposed to do. However the truck is still sluggish, EGT's are still high, and boost is still low. I don't think its a boost leak, I think the computer is still in need of a TDCO re-learn. I found a KOKO procedure but have had no luck with it. I have tried:

Key on, accelerator down: 45 secs
Key off, accelerator up: 30 secs
and
Key on, accelerator down: 45 secs
Key off, accelerator down: 30 secs

No luck with either attempt. Looks like it needs a TimeSet learn from a Tech2. Not too bad since the truck is still drivable, just need to play the waiting game. Either way, good reason for me to leave the lead foot at home and drive a little slower haha.

It's amazing what a dirty air filter will do.

Moving on (lol) hope to mock up some of the fuel stuff this weekend, should be receiving an invoice from Leroy shortly for the Raptor. Looking forward to getting that on. FRC10 is good for stock trucks, but I can peg the gauge at 0 on a WOT run. Hopefully the Raptor can keep up a bit better on the top end.

Made a run up to NH yesterday to pick up a new/used truck for a buddy. Did about 75-80 going up, and 70 coming home with about 25 mins of stop and go traffic, couple hard merges, etc. Truck got 17.2. First time I've taken it on a trip on the highway with the A Team. Should be able to get 20+ out of it pretty easily.

KOJO received my stock "blank" ECM on Weds. Should be a couple weeks before I get it back.

Slow and steady....

Ran a Tech2 on the truck tonight because its been down on power since the stepper motor backed out. Determined that the computer is commanding the stepper motor to do its job, but the motor isnt working. Additionally, we tried the Time Set function on the scanner, to relearn TDCO and the truck did not respond at all. Gonna be trying a good used stepper motor this weekend. Hopefully that takes care of it.
TDCO will not take w/o codes being deleted.

Payment sent Leroy, thanks as usual!

Went out to the local Parker store today to pick up fittings for my secondary lift pump setup. Here are some pictures. The filter adapter has been reversed 180 from the mounting flange, so the direction of flow arrow on the flange is now incorrect. 1/2" barb in, 3/8" barb out.

89ff776cf8331183157bdbde560ae1c2.jpg

98a8b5af1a7f1e789aa2f926e907e150.jpg

7af0d0f9880287372bdaaf31715ad6cf.jpg

Made a little progress tonight getting the secondary fuel filter mounted in place. Pretty straightforward. Took a couple pieces of angle and made a T, drilled holes for the mounting flange, and welded to the factory rad hose support bracket. It sits right where I want it, and the hood even closes lol.

I have all the fittings I need for FTB and the Raptor when it arrives. What's the consensus on a filter choice? The system will have no tank filter, a filter before the lift pump, and the filter pictured. I assume the pre-lift pump filter should be in the 5-10 micron rating area? I would think it should be a pretty stout filter. I heard someone mention a 100 micron filter for the secondary filter. Is that too much? It will need to have a water drain valve also which might limit my options.

UPS says the Raptor is due Thursday, can't wait. Here's some pictures. Don't mind my "handiwork" lol.

162b619594aae98ab9cd1f5b154d7f99.jpg

5f0c3b867c9a8a1736e0915fce249695.jpg

638879faf33b6e132ea31172ec11f598.jpg

55982177404d37700ce4266b78b9b57d.jpg

75c62f1af990f496176aa27a1c1b7a9f.jpg

Back