• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

Heres what I came up with for a Turbo Controler on the HX40II, I reused the actuator mount and just unbolted the diaphragm and used a threaded rod instead, I made a base piece out of 1/8 steel and bolted it back on, Im playing with spring tensions but where I have it now It tops out at 18psi I had it loose enough where it wouldnt hit 10 and tightened it to 25psi
IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Looks pretty good. let us know if it also lowers your cruise boost, like if the wastegate is opening at all at low load high speed cruising.

Do you think its feasible to abandon the existing actuator holder, and just make a bracket that goes to some of the forward most holes, so it prevents interference with the larger air boxes?

Just want to throw this out there, but on my gm-8 the boost controler I made is very touchy with the temp changes. Between hot summer air and cool winter air I always have to adjust mine..... does anyone else experience this.... I don't want to put on a new charger and be dealing with a damn spring all the time????

Just want to throw this out there, but on my gm-8 the boost controler I made is very touchy with the temp changes. Between hot summer air and cool winter air I always have to adjust mine..... does anyone else experience this.... I don't want to put on a new charger and be dealing with a damn spring all the time????

I don't know how much this will change, but with the old GM8 and my Turbo Controller I didnt mess with it much, but the Turbo sucked so bad It would be hard to see an improvement, I really like this new Turbo setup

Looks pretty good. let us know if it also lowers your cruise boost, like if the wastegate is opening at all at low load high speed cruising.

Do you think its feasible to abandon the existing actuator holder, and just make a bracket that goes to some of the forward most holes, so it prevents interference with the larger air boxes?
Maybe but the waste gate arm is straight up and down and swings to the rear of the truck to open, you would have to rig up a arm for the waste gate

about 10 different teams, I just go and put out fires now, Its working out pretty good so far
Good way to get exposure all around as well as get a feel for who you like working with more should your service be needed full time in the future.

Install looks great. Nice workmanship as usual. Is that one of those 'distorted' thread locking flange nuts?

Maybe but the waste gate arm is straight up and down and swings to the rear of the truck to open, you would have to rig up a arm for the waste gate

That's part of the dynamics between a true TM and a home-made one... the real thing comes with a bolt-on arm that changes the angle and length of the pull, which makes it possible to use a lighter, more responsive spring. (this is all on the old GMx)

On the wrong angle, with the wrong length of moment arm (on the actuator), you would need a REALLY tough spring to keep it closed, giving really high spikes. That was the biggest problem with a lot of the home-made TMs - wrong spring, both compression and pitch.. hard to find the right combination)

There's a lot more to building one that works well than just making a spring and a nut that fits ... as usual Bruce, you are going about it systematically and precisely. I have no doubt you'll come up with something unique!

Speaking of unique .. has anybody thought of building a 'radial' spring wastegate control, rather than a longitudinal one? (using the torque in the spring rather than the compression?)

Updates:

Changed wheels/tires to PYOs with Mich MS2 235/85 and gained 2MPG. 17.2 city mixed.

Added the Walbro kit this weekend. I still cannot "roll coal" which is great and means that the turbo is letting all the fuel charge burn. The engine is actually a little bit smoother with the additional fuel pressure. Also more responsive on the highway. Amazing little improvement and well worth the $ so far IMO.

Added the Isspro 0-30 PSI gauge and found that even with the "rod adjustment" I am still pushing 19 PSI. So time to get on the "turbo master" change. I'm thinking of setting the turbo at a max of 17 PSI.

Here's my install this past weekend. It's almost complete as I'm re-doing the turbo oil drain hose. I should have this completed by this evening. I will post more pictures of the install tomorrow.

6892664008_a50b7df5ab_z.jpg

7038759517_c478a9e690_z.jpg

Speaking of unique .. has anybody thought of building a 'radial' spring wastegate control, rather than a longitudinal one? (using the torque in the spring rather than the compression?)

Only problem I see with that Jim is heat and expansion.

If mounted on the exhaust housing to manage the gate, it would be subject to heating. The length of the coil could lead to changing pressures as the temperature increases and decreases. Kind of like the way some of the older carbs worked with the electric choke, which was nothing more than a bimetalic "clockspring" thermal expansion arrangement.

Now, if you could manage it properly, you may get "fancy-schmancy" enough to have varying wastegate opening pressures dependent on EGT/temperature....i wouldn't want to design that though. That would be a nightmare to "dial in".

It'd be more productive to adjust the boost tables in the PCM and control the 'gate with a stock vacuum system type arrangement than a heat dependent "clockspring".

Anyways, theorizing over with.

back to reality....:cool:

Back