• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX-35 holset

That picture looks like a wastgated hx40 ,hx 35 exhaust housings arn't that large I might try one some time,his down pipe looks identical to my first one,you can build a better one with a elbow welded on a plate but it would limit the wastegate travel , non wastegate housings are maybe an inch or less shorter.

Last edited:
Is it a hx 40 ? and what is the exhaust cm, maybe you need more fuel, of course then you got to worry about head gaskets, having a 90 degree elbow after the turbo slows spool up a little I have run with no down pipe and they spool really quick you can feel the difference. The banks kit I saw had the turbo fruther front ,but that would hit ac compressor ,eventually I would like to build a 4 inch down pipe, I deleted my ac and dryer filter.

Nope, no wastegate. Haven't go that high of boost, YET!

Is nitrous still potentially part of the plan? Just curious how you'll limit boost as drive energy goes higher (w/ additional fuel inputs)?

Just going to try additional fuel inputs a bit at a time, then when you've hit the max boost level you're comfortable w/ running, set that fueling level as the the max?

That picture looks like a wastgated hx40 ,hx 35 exhaust housings arn't that large I might try one some time,his down pipe looks identical to my fist one,you can build a better one with a elbow welded on a plate but it would limit the wastegate travel , non wastegate housings are maybe an inch or less shorter.

Offhand, it looks a bit like a turbine housing from the W generation turbo's pre-HX35? Can't recall where I've seen that turbine housing w/ 2 bolt patterns/bosses cast in allowing the wastegate actuator bracket to be mounted higher or lower. I've no intention of digging into/exposing anybody's designs - just another example for folks to check out. Seeing this stuff can help one better envision how alternative turbos may fit & how even better solutions might be evolved. The more folks working the problems, the more likely & faster new solutions come.

Your observations of how the turbine exit plumbing impacted performance are a relevant concern & a design challenge on our trucks. The only reason I put a pic in my album of the Holset 3.5 -> 4" diffuser that comes stock on the 6.7 Cummins HE351ve turbine exit, is that part shows the OEM engineer's thoughts on the importance of smooth turbine exit diffuser flow (when space allows a good design). When grafting on a non-stock turbo, there are some situations where some porting can improve the smoothness/taper/blend btwn turbine wheel exducer diameter & exhaust/downpipe diameter.

Last edited:
Is it a hx 40 ? and what is the exhaust cm, maybe you need more fuel, of course then you got to worry about head gaskets, having a 90 degree elbow after the turbo slows spool up a little I have run with no down pipe and they spool really quick you can feel the difference. The banks kit I saw had the turbo fruther front ,but that would hit ac compressor ,eventually I would like to build a 4 inch down pipe, I deleted my ac and dryer filter.

Thats where you need a 4" hood stack. ):h

One easy way to limit boost is with a blow off vale, easy to do and they now make blow off valves with pretty exact tolerances. OK ricers use them, but hey they are way ahead of most when it comes to turbo charging,

Have you actually used a blow-off valve in such an application?

A valve used in this way was done in the early days of turbo charging when other boost control methods weren't available. It came to be called a vent valve - not a blow-off valve.

Can it still be done = yes. Do you see OEM engineers using them in this way? No, not for decades now. Hmm... Not many folks that have tried all the different methods of boost control will settle on a blow-off valve as the best way. Turbo engineers choose a non-wastegated turbo size for an application w/ a peak drive energy & corresponding mass airflow in mind. If mass airflow demands go higher, they go to a larger turbo.

OEM engineers use blow-off valves as they're designed to be used. So do some ricers. Some ricers have experience using blow-off valves; some don't.

Last edited:
Have considerd a hood stack lots of times,problem is as of now my truck is still road legal.

On the ricer's car, the blow off valve is used to save the compresser wheel
blades when the throttle valve is closed between shiftes and the end of a run.
When the throttle valve is closed there is a huge surge of air backing up the intake!

Have considerd a hood stack lots of times,problem is as of now my truck is still road legal.

Ive seen a few hood stacks running around. I wouldnt think it would be legal having a big pipe blocking your view. I dont know if venting it out the fender would be legal or not. The side of you truck would probably get sooty.

The pics of Cody's 6.5 Camaro HE351ve install appear to have the exhaust angle out of the turbine, down, & exiting in front of the driver's side front wheel. That ought to bark at the car in the next lane over.

OK, HY35 turbo on a mod. 6.5 at what point do you guys think it would
EX. side chock boost/HP wise , and lets compair that to a HX35/WH1c also, any takers?

Is nitrous still potentially part of the plan? Just curious how you'll limit boost as drive energy goes higher (w/ additional fuel inputs)?

Nitrous is still part of the plan.

On the ricer's car, the blow off valve is used to save the compresser wheel
blades when the throttle valve is closed between shiftes and the end of a run.
When the throttle valve is closed there is a huge surge of air backing up the intake!

On a related subject, it's worth mentioning the different turbo manufacturer's approach to ported shroud comp housings as a method to avoid or lessen compressor surge. It's essentially a small pathway that can let air already in the compressor, sneak back around & enter the compressor inlet.

As folks try larger & larger compressors on a given size engine, the ported shroud technology can help keep a big compressor out of surge during low mass airflow demands. The Turbonetics ported shroud housings have quite obvious ports showing on the inlet side of the comp housings.

Holset calls their similar technology MWE (map width enhancement - no doubt a mktg inspired title). Most of their compressors now incorporate MWE, but it's not as obvious to see.

OK, HY35 turbo on a mod. 6.5 at what point do you guys think it would
EX. side chock boost/HP wise , and lets compair that to a HX35/WH1c also, any takers?

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/hy35-vs-hx35-pics-t253869.html

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1063866137035040517PftoZC

I'm not certain if the 2nd pic is truly an HY-35? If it is, this is probably the turbo that came on the '03-'04 Dodge 5.9's rated at 305 hp. The '04-'06 Dodge 5.9's went to the HE351cw & were rated at 325 hp. Holset literature lists both of these applications as having a 9cm^2 turbine housing.

Regardless of what name you call the turbo in the second pic, you can envision exh flow differences & how much exh bypass capacity (to avoid boost creep) as compared to the wastegate layout in the 1 set of pics. Internal gates tend to cause a fair bit of turbulence as the bypass gas re-enters the exh stream after bypassing the turbine. Which of the 2 different turbines would you suspect flows (& controls boost) best?

A hy35 exhaust wheel is a little smaller than the hx35 so it would choke a little sooner,a super 40 like the dodge guys use have a high flow turbine ,probably would work good on a 6.5 with enough of fuel, I noticed it takes a lot of fuel to actualy light even a wh1c,other wise it spools only from heat and air flow like a gas motor.

Back