• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX-35 holset

I saw a banks sytem on a 80's chevy the manifold is a better design than the 6.5 one,but I wasnt sure about the turbo he said it was making about 10 psi.The compressor side of the hx35 is capable of more air flow than most 6.5s need, the problem is the turbine side exhaust flow.

What is wrong with the turbine flow? I know, old thread but very interesting. I am running 20 psi boost and aprox 25 psi drive pressure with the 12cm housing. Anyone know aprox how much power I am making?

The max you could ever make with everything available for a 6.5 in a street truck is 300HP (DS4). And it is the injection pump that is the limiting factor, nothing else. Marine motors make up to 400HP but that's with a much larger injection pump and the ocean or lake to cool it. From your sig I'd say around 225-240ish. The only thing a different turbo will do is pick up where the GM-turbos leave off, but will suffer a slight loss in low end response depending on which turbo.

I am currently installing the HX35W on mine and when done will have ATA and ATW IC's. So my question is How do I measure the drive pressure? I have the boost monitered, EGt is also covered butI'm lost on the drive pressure.

I am currently installing the HX35W on mine and when done will have ATA and ATW IC's. So my question is How do I measure the drive pressure? I have the boost monitered, EGt is also covered butI'm lost on the drive pressure.

You need to tap in front of the turbine, IE the collector flange, I use brake line coiled then connect it to vacuum line then to my boost gauge. Just remember, drive pressures can be a lot higher than boost so you need at least a 60 psi boost gauge. This is my setup, Autometer boost gauge but want to change to a boost/egt gauge but need to save a few more dollars, and the bottom is IAT and boost.

This was me towing 5500 lbs up a steep hill, 12,000 lbs total weight on a not bad temp day, 2nd gear, 1/2 throttle.

I have my EGT thermocouple at that flange, I can go right next to it. Two boost gauges right? one for boost and the higher limit one for drive pressure? Oh goody more gauges:147:

I'm running a H1-C with a 16 cm housing,don't know what the drive psi is,but I can't give it full throttle or it looses power. The Banks turbo made more power from 3-4 k rpms than a HX52. The hybrid 35/40 had awsome spoolup power but still felt dead at higher rpms. I took the Banks turbo apart and rebuilt it. The turbine was a 76/64,and compressor inducer was 58,forgot what the exducer was,but it was way smaller than a HX35.

I'm running a H1-C with a 16 cm housing,don't know what the drive psi is,but I can't give it full throttle or it looses power.

Have you tried the same run at WOT with no air filter at all ?? I ran into something like this when testing different turbo setup's,, found out quick the ones that really pull air, kinda a crude way but worked in my case..

Have you tried the same run at WOT with no air filter at all ?? I ran into something like this when testing different turbo setup's,, found out quick the ones that really pull air, kinda a crude way but worked in my case..
A rough rule of thumb is about a 1 psi drop under atmospheric is for a properly sized filter.

That's pretty much what I use when figuring out PR on a turbocharger....

I run into that issue all all the time. If I put the K47 lid on, the filter sensor sucks all the way down,even with the stock turbo.

I will have to do a retest on that. I think no air filter always helped,but not a total cure. The Banks turbo was the only turbo I ever tried that loved to be over fueled. HX52 would be next in line.

I'm running a H1-C with a 16 cm housing,don't know what the drive psi is,but I can't give it full throttle or it looses power. The Banks turbo made more power from 3-4 k rpms than a HX52. The hybrid 35/40 had awsome spoolup power but still felt dead at higher rpms. I took the Banks turbo apart and rebuilt it. The turbine was a 76/64,and compressor inducer was 58,forgot what the exducer was,but it was way smaller than a HX35.

So far, bad IP and fueling are my limiting factors. It pulled pretty good even with a dead IP, the advance does nothing. On Sat, I turned the fuel down an 1/8 or a bit more due to smoke cruising, and kicking myself, :mad2: can only hit 15 psi and she's lethargic as a Prius, so pissed off, before, I could hit 20 psi and it was a fun ride. Now its forced me to install my new IP next week. :skep: :thumbsup:

Back