• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help a Brother Out #2

Ok so plans getting delayed due to weather tomorrow..
I'm seriously not understanding a different issue though... when you turn the key on and the wait to start light is flashing you can hear the lift pump running at least for a few seconds.... Mine used to be that way consistently... I could always hear it from in the cab... I don't remember when this started, I know it's been awhile ,but sometimes I can hear it running sometimes I can't... The little pump has been replaced multiple times.. I have both a Delphi one and a AC Delco one under warranty... It doesn't seem like changing the pump changes that issue... I exchange them every once in a while just cause I can.... I know I've said that the truck has electrical issues, but I'm wondering if one of the issues in the cab is affecting the pump or vice versa

I'm seriously not understanding a different issue though... when you turn the key on and the wait to start light is flashing you can hear the lift pump running at least for a few seconds.... Mine used to be that way consistently... I could always hear it from in the cab... I don't remember when this started, I know it's been awhile ,but sometimes I can hear it running sometimes I can't... The little pump has been replaced multiple times.. I have both a Delphi one and a AC Delco one under warranty... It doesn't seem like changing the pump changes that issue... I exchange them every once in a while just cause I can.... I know I've said that the truck has electrical issues, but I'm wondering if one of the issues in the cab is affecting the pump or vice versa
I got the fuel pressure tap from Leroy Diesel, I dont think it is the best location for a gauge, I then got an elcheapo MrGasket fuel pressure gauge and, heaven forbid, run that live pressure tube into the cab and plumbed it to the gauge. I dont know how accurate that cheap FP gauge is, it really does not matter, it is just a device that I can glance at and thingk, YUP, I got fuel pressure. No matter if I can or if I can not hear the LP running, I can always have a visual as to what the LP is actually doing.
Some day I am going to lift the intake manifolds, do the feed the beast mod and put together a pressure tap right at the IP, sxcept this system I install will have a sender unit and I hope I can find a gauge that will show both vacuum and pressure so that if the lift pump fails I can look and see that the system is failed aand the IP is sucking fuel on its own, get it shut down in a hurry and get a different LP system installed.

First 2 years wife and I were married (41 years this week), we were flat broke. I took in brake jobs about 3 weekends each month. 2-4 per weekend. I would have been lost without those SnapOn spring tools. I have spring pliers too but always found them worthless.
Well Happy Anniversary Mike. I have similar no name tools like those, they help for sure.

Everybody needs a fuel pressure gauge.

You might be limiting out on fuel pressure and the lift pump is shutting off on its own.

I still need to permanently install one. I’m just too cheap to buy an isolator for the manual gauge or an electric gauge! Been wanting to use a length of the tiniest size stainless steel tubing and run a boost gauge that shows vacuum for a fuel pressure gauge

Something i have been wondering about for fuel pressure gauge is using something like this:

It would have to have the sending unit where it can easily be seen incase whatever the bladder is in it begins to seep from failure. Just make it a habit of checking it often. Most 6.2/6.5 or ford 6.9/7.3 owners that get long life from them have a habit to check the oil dipstick at each fuel up. Doing that and a quick paper towel wipe around the pressure sender to make sure it isn’t leaking after having used a part of the towel for wiping dipstick- seems easy enough...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That looks very promising! other than the red warning light that is on at 10.5 psi. but if we are running a higher pressure like 14 or so it would be fine. even at the lower pressure than what oil pressure is I think it would last a good while without any leaks. :)

Back