• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 6.5 TD engine poof problelm

Take a picture of your glow plug controller if you can. We can identify it, it would be good to add what type in your signature as well as in your own notebook of the rig. Finding parts for an rv can become maddening, so knowing to ask for a pickup of certain year makes it easier. There were four types of glow plug controllers used.

This web page is still messed up terribly!! Keeps posting same thing over so I can get a space to write something.
Hope you get this and it's posted...took three hours to post my last post.

Will L. : Here's the picture for glow plug controller that replaces the one in my motorhome...it's for a 6.5TD as per O'Reilly.

Standard Ignition 4 Terminal Multi-Purpose Relay - RY139​

The one on the motorhome is the original.

Attachments

• Glow Plug Controller.jpg
    Glow Plug Controller.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
Glagulator: I'm only going by what O'Reilly and Rock Auto lists as the correct controller for my RV that is a GM 6.5 turbo diesel engine.
How are you coming up with a three wire ? They say three wire and the four wire will work.
To cold and too late in the day......It's 30 degrees. I'll take the dog house off tomorrow.

The old RY139 GPR was self controlling and is used on mechanical IP rigs, has 4 terminals, black conn.
The new RY383 GPR is PCM controlled and is used on DS4 IP rigs, has 3 terminals, grey conn.
Both connectors have 5 term. spaces and look the same but are keyed different and will not interchange.

GPR-DIFF-01.jpg

Without disconnecting-count the terminal wires going to it. The older is 3’wire and newer is 4 wire- but I have seen rv built that have a ds4 ip and use the card style related controller which is older than the 3 wire.
The reason I am saying look at it now is incase you have to replace it in the future you need to know which is appropriate for your rv. DO NOT go by what a pickup uses because they can throw whatever they want into the rv.

iirc acronym:
If I Remember Correctly

I see you have your thermostat out. Can you post a pic of the new thermostat?
The desired type uses a secondary block off plunger.

IMG_0193.jpeg

My 93 had the older 4 wire controller, it did not work and was bypassed by the PO. I just recently rewired it to use the newer 3 wire controller and installed a time delay relay, also added a push button in the cab so I can override it if I ever need to.

never trust what the auto parts house says a vehicle is suppose to have. especially for a RV. a good while back I did brakes on my 95 truck all the way around. I bought new wheel cylinders for it and they told me I needed the smaller ones since it wasn't dual rear wheels. after installing them and having issues with the brakes, I took a trip to the chevy dealer and gave them the vin. they told me the auto parts was wrong and I needed the larger heavy duty wheel cylinders. After swapping in the larger ones the brakes were much better!

What will is trying to tell you is make you a book to keep with the RV and note all parts you can in that book. get as much info as you can on it from when it was built from the factory. this way when you break down and need something from the auto parts store, you know exactly what to ask for. you will find things on your RV that is the same as one vehicle or another. usually multiple, an example would be when needing brake parts you might have to use the application for a given year 3500HD truck and for engine parts you might have to use an older application non-HD. If you can get in touch with the dealer where it was built, getting a full detailed build sheet is as good as gold.

Hi Guys: Here's some pictures about what has been asked.
I have a three wire controller. See pic A1 and A2 showing the colored wires.

Thermostat answers: Here's a picture of the old thermostat that I changed while doing maintenance and changing the anti-freeze. (See pic Ba)
Here is the box with the new thermostat part number that I put in. When I put it in a few years ago - another truck site swore to not get any other thermostat except this one for the 6.5TD. (See pic Bb) The old and the new are 190 degrees and have worked just fine.

This one is special for Will L.: You saw an old engine picture with no thermostat housing .... I was waiting for my new thermostat. So here is today's updated picture. (See pic Ca)

Attachments

• Ca. Engine with thermostat installed.jpg
    Ca. Engine with thermostat installed.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 8
  • Bb. New Thermostat with  box lable part number.jpg
    Bb. New Thermostat with box lable part number.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Ba. Original Thermostat.jpg
    Ba. Original Thermostat.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 7
  • A2. 3 Wires going to the controller plug.jpg
    A2. 3 Wires going to the controller plug.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 7
  • A1. Original 3 wire glow plug controller.jpg
    A1. Original 3 wire glow plug controller.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
Guys: I'm wondering why you're asking about the glow plug controller.
Does this have something to do with what I wrote on 2/16 (see copy below) that you didn't respond to.

Beezer wrote 2-16: Today I started it up and batterys are 12.51 volts. Same thing-took a little more time for the engine to start...It's trying to start and won't start .. then it's trying to start and won't start and then it finally started with that one soft pop at tail pipe and small pop from passenger side and then runs smooth.
Once it starts I have no fear to run across the country ! It has always taken 5 seconds for the engine to start running.
Now I'm concerned about why it's taking longer to start up and still has the soft pops on both sides? Yesterday there was no pop on the passenger side. (Batterys are charging at 14 volts.) Batterys are brand new. Alternator is good.
Where should I go from here? What should I do next?

Took these pictures today of my garage and workshop. My garage is 40'wide by 50' deep and 18' high. And part of my workshop.

Attachments

• Dc.Garage 40w-50d-18h.jpg
    Dc.Garage 40w-50d-18h.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Da. Motorhome in garage.jpg
    Da. Motorhome in garage.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Db. Part of my workshop.jpg
    Db. Part of my workshop.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 5
your glow plug controller is for a 95+ year model. take note of the GM part number in that photo stamped on the controller. if you ever need to replace it you can use that number.

On your thermostat, did that one use an o-ring on the housing or a gasket? just curious. I see that's a 190 degree one, but doesn't have the lower block-off plate. your t-stat housing might not use the style that has the lower block off plate. our trucks use those!

Thats a really nice shop! and even better looking RV might I add :)

Doug- look up the part number in his pic- that IS a block off style thermostat.
Beezer: Thats a great set up to have. There is two crossovers that are very similar that use the 4 bolt pattern for the housing- one has block off the other doesn’t. The 131-91 ac delco IS a full block off- so that is awesome to see. If the crossover ever gets cracked- have it welded up and fixed, do not try going to a different style if at all possible.

Just because we were talking starting components- is why I was asking what type you have, incase yours goes bad snd a parts store gets you a wrong one. There is two that look almost the same but one has the 3 small wire connections and the other has four. And if you accidentally put in the wrong one it won’t function quite right.

If you removed 9G glow plugs and installed the new 60G, it will not heat up as fast. But they don’t fail anywhere near as bad. When a 60g fails, it just stops working. But 9G can swell, can break off under normal use, which can destroy the engine.
The extra time spent is worth it for the safety of the engine.

If you can do a video of the popping when starting it would help tremendously.

Sorry Big T: As I've said many times this web page is not working correctly and it sometimes posts a reply twice and this time it didn't save the post I wrote back to you. And there is a problem logging in and logging out most times. It's a wonder I get anything posted! And I can't find a web page monitor to help correct it.
This is what you asked:
"Big T wrote on Friday :It's not clear, but did you just clean the glow plugs and put them all back in?"

And this is what I wrote that wasn't posted:
"Big T: This has been a long topic for me and the other members. And along the line after many testings and recommendations - the great guys here at Truck Stop recommended buying 8 new- 60G's and that's what I put in these last two days. The ones pictured above are the old 11Gs that came with my motorhome 28 yrs. ago. Just fine tuning "

Back