• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 6.5 TD engine poof problelm

Rv, cab chassis, and bread trucks are always a nightmare for parts.

Once you get the new glowplugs in, if they work thats all you need.
If you ever have to replace them just order parts for a one ton chevy puickup with a 6.5.
For the relay just count the small control wires (not the ones that go to the glow plugs) and post a picture at that time. We can tell you which relay it is if ever needed.

The pics loaded are thumbnail and on my phone I can’t zoom in and get clear picture. Can anyone see is it a ds4 or db2 pump?

The site is available 24/7. I don’t even own a desktop anymore. Use My phone for everything which only has couple drawbacks, one being the thumbnail picture issue. I would imagine desktop you have to log in every time?

an easy way to tell if it's a DB2 or DS4 is look to see if it has real throttle cables from the accelerator pedal or if it's just wiring and no cable. taking the engine cowl off and a DS4 will not have any way to throttle it, no linkage or butterfly to open.

an easy way to tell if it's a DB2 or DS4 is look to see if it has real throttle cables from the accelerator pedal or if it's just wiring and no cable. taking the engine cowl off and a DS4 will not have any way to throttle it, no linkage or butterfly to open.
He posted pics in second post- i just can’t zoom in because they are thumbnails.
On my phone when you click on a thumbnail it stays same size just gets a border.
And when I zoom it gets really blurry.
The full image pics I can zoom in on with great detail.
Can you look at post 2 and see what he has?

This is the area where my recent question is about.
This is the picture I wanted to show you asking about the glow plug wires.
See the silver vacuum pump that says 4-22 on it. To the left is the goldish wastegate that says 4-22 on it. In between those two you will see a black rippled wire cover....that's the wire that comes from in front of the engine to the first glow plug on the passenger side. You can also see the other three orange glow plug wires.

Attachments

• C. Turbo and Wastegate Area.jpg
    C. Turbo and Wastegate Area.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
This is the area where my recent question is about.
This is the picture I wanted to show you asking about the glow plug wires.
See the silver vacuum pump that says 4-22 on it. To the left is the goldish wastegate that says 4-22 on it. In between those two you will see a black rippled wire cover....that's the wire that comes from in front of the engine to the first glow plug on the passenger side. You can also see the other three orange glow plug wires.

The orange wires should have a connector somewhere below the manifold near the frame. those orange wires are a heat resistant wire. the turbo side of the engine gets much hotter than the other side. I think my 95 has the orange wires on the same side and on the other side it had iirc green wires (regular non heat resistant)

@Bezzer I know this is off-topic but I have a question about your engine....

looking at the pic you posted showing the turbo and the one of the top of your engine, I see on the passenger valve cover a pipe leading to the back of the engine and off to the drivers side. that pipe where it goes into your valve cover is where normally a CDR would be and a tube that would connect into the intake piping in front of the turbo. it's designed to pull the crankcase gasses from the engine and burn them. how is this pipe routed and does it lead back into the intake somewhere?

Will L.... My pictures are real big and get bigger. I was afraid they were too big. I use a desktop and 17" laptop.

Don't see how you post "using “insert- full image not thumbnail".
Let me know and I'll post it bigger. I did find out you can't post pictures using the "Quick Reply"
I'm still new to this sight and learning better ways to post!
Thanks!

I post a big picture and the web page must make it a "thumbnail" that you click on and it gets bigger. I only post pictures using my HP big desktop. Still looking for "insert full image" icon??

@Bezzer when you post from a pc or laptop, at the bottom of the text box there is a button "Attach files" after you have selected the photos you can hover over the attached photo and you should see two buttons appear. the lower one is full image, click on that.

on a phone it's basically the same process but will show check boxes on the photo attachments.

also a trick I learned too is you can use the copy / paste function and this will also post in the text box as a full image too. :)

Here is a screenshot of me selecting a photo at full image. don't mind the different colors as I have my pc set to dark mode that's easier on the eyeballs LOL.

1707920282618.png

Thanks dbrannon79!!! I really appreciate you're taking the time to teach me a new trick. Since it's late...I better try this tomorrow after I print your instructions and try it out for Will L. so he can enlarge a picture on his cell phone. Some companies don't want big picture.
Always learning something new on the computer. What would we all do without the Internet?

I don't know how you guys quote a section of someone's post and put it in a reply. I just copy and paste.

What I usually do is tap the reply button on the post you want to quote. that puts that persons entire post in a quote form, then you can click in that area and delete out text and leave only what you want to quote..

dbrannon79: Tried your trick for posting a quote on a reply and that works good.

No luck with the thumbnail or large photo trick. Tried a lot of ways. I'm sure now it's because we have an old OS- Windows 7-XP. I think you have a more recent OS and have better features.
But when I look at the pictures posted on Truck Stop a big page shows up with small thumbnails at the bottom and when you pick a picture it enlarges to the big picture.
Learning something everyday! Except our system works great for us "old folks"! 😊

dbrannon79: Tried your trick for posting a quote on a reply and that works good.

No luck with the thumbnail or large photo trick. Tried a lot of ways. I'm sure now it's because we have an old OS- Windows 7-XP. I think you have a more recent OS and have better features.
But when I look at the pictures posted on Truck Stop a big page shows up with small thumbnails at the bottom and when you pick a picture it enlarges to the big picture.
Learning something everyday! Except our system works great for us "old folks"! 😊
Even with an older system, what browser are you using. try using firefox or brave browser. if your still using internet explorer that might be why it's not showing you the options for thumbnail and full image.

dbrannon79 and Will L. and anyone else that want to chime in !!
Yesterday I removed the last stubborn two glow plugs. See picture of all 4 on passenger side. (see pic 1a.) The two that look sooty and I have marked with red are the last two I took out. All four looked the same before I cleaned the two on the right side of picture. I checked all four with 12 volts. All showed around 10 plus volts. After they cooled down - I saw one had cracked on both sides at the tip and showed swelling .
(see pic.1gg) This was one of the last two that were harder to get out. (Sure lucked out there!!)

Yesterday I finished it all up and ready to start the engine. I also checked these last 4 glow plug connectors before connecting to the new glow plugs. All checked 10+ volts. Batterys are 12.51 volts. This is how I start the engine according the owner's manual. (see attached pic named "Starting GM Diesel Engine" copied from owner's manual)

This time it took more time before the engine started. (Engine always starts right up as it's always started many times before. ) After the engine started - I heard a softer pop from the tail pipe. And I heard no pop from the passenger side. I also see black spots on the floor from the tail pipe (less than before)....like diesel soot mixed with moisture. (see pic b). No dripping and no smoke.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************
Today I started it up and batterys are 12.51 volts. Same thing-took a little more time for the engine to start...It's trying to start and won't start .. then it's trying to start and won't start and then it finally started with that one soft pop at tail pipe and small pop from passenger side and then runs smooth.
Once it starts I have no fear to run across the country ! It has always taken 5 seconds for the engine to start running.
Now I'm concerned about why it's taking longer to start up and still has the soft pops on both sides? Yesterday there was no pop on the passenger side. (Batterys are charging at 14 volts.) Batterys are brand new. Alternator is good.
Where should I go from here? What should I do next?

Attachments

• 1a. Old 11G Glow Plugs.jpg
    1a. Old 11G Glow Plugs.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 1gg..jpg
    1gg..jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Starting GM Diesel Engine.jpg
    Starting GM Diesel Engine.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 3
  • B. Out of Tail Pipe when starting.jpg
    B. Out of Tail Pipe when starting.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 4
dbrannon79 and Will L. and anyone else that want to chime in !!
Yesterday I removed the last stubborn two glow plugs. See picture of all 4 on passenger side. (see pic 1a.) The two that look sooty and I have marked with red are the last two I took out. All four looked the same before I cleaned the two on the right side of picture. I checked all four with 12 volts. All showed around 10 plus volts. After they cooled down - I saw one had cracked on both sides at the tip and showed swelling .
(see pic.1gg) This was one of the last two that were harder to get out. (Sure lucked out there!!)

Yesterday I finished it all up and ready to start the engine. I also checked these last 4 glow plug connectors before connecting to the new glow plugs. All checked 10+ volts. Batterys are 12.51 volts. This is how I start the engine according the owner's manual. (see attached pic named "Starting GM Diesel Engine" copied from owner's manual)

This time it took more time before the engine started. (Engine always starts right up as it's always started many times before. ) After the engine started - I heard a softer pop from the tail pipe. And I heard no pop from the passenger side. I also see black spots on the floor from the tail pipe (less than before)....like diesel soot mixed with moisture. (see pic b). No dripping and no smoke.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************
Today I started it up and batterys are 12.51 volts. Same thing-took a little more time for the engine to start...It's trying to start and won't start .. then it's trying to start and won't start and then it finally started with that one soft pop at tail pipe and small pop from passenger side and then runs smooth.
Once it starts I have no fear to run across the country ! It has always taken 5 seconds for the engine to start running.
Now I'm concerned about why it's taking longer to start up and still has the soft pops on both sides? Yesterday there was no pop on the passenger side. (Batterys are charging at 14 volts.) Batterys are brand new. Alternator is good.
Where should I go from here? What should I do next?
It's not clear, but did you just clean the glow plugs and put them all back in?

Back