• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gauging interest in a new intake adaptor for the ATT

I have thought about a little cooler like an ATF or oil cooler tube and fin style so it would be low restriction. For the ATT that is all that might be needed for heavier boost situations. Not really trying to chill the IAT. Just something to reduce IAT down to about ~150F. Just something to take the air heat off the radiator because any boost over ~200F will just add load to the radiator load. Probably wouldn't even have to run the water pump unless towing??? Tank being a radiator under the bed area. Maybe some copper tube and a frame rail type cooler in the back area.

Have also thought about some copper coil wrapped around the intake runners to try and wick some heat out too.
I

I'm out of town working but I'll take one.

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk

I have yours done. Email me your email address and I'll get an invoice to you. [email protected]

I have thought about a little cooler like an ATF or oil cooler tube and fin style so it would be low restriction. For the ATT that is all that might be needed for heavier boost situations. Not really trying to chill the IAT. Just something to reduce IAT down to about ~150F. Just something to take the air heat off the radiator because any boost over ~200F will just add load to the radiator load. Probably wouldn't even have to run the water pump unless towing??? Tank being a radiator under the bed area. Maybe some copper tube and a frame rail type cooler in the back area.

Have also thought about some copper coil wrapped around the intake runners to try and wick some heat out too.
I

Im thinking on it some. Need to find a cooler that won't choke the engine. Need to do some IAT tests too, but I don't see myself getting to that anytime soon.

Well we did our work party. Paul and Colby worked on the install of the ATT and the intake spacer; I worked on installing the oil cooler and stainless. Both jobs took much longer than expected. The install of the oil cooler lines at the rear was a biatch. The truck was fighting back. I finally ended up pulling the drive shaft, crossover (1 bolt sheared off) and the exhaust manifold, just to get the rear line torqued down. I'll need to finish drilling out and removing the bolt from the manifold tomorrow and get that put back together. Colby pretty much finished the ATT install tonight after Paul and I left. He also got the the Heath Cold Air Intake installed. Just a few odds and ends left to finish tomorrow. I never did get to work on installing the FRC-10 lift pump.

To show you that the oil cooler install was the messy job:

attachment.php

And the whole crew, Colby holding the old GM Turbo:

attachment.php

It was a fun time indeed. Big-T is pretty quick with a wrench when the project isn't being a wench.
The Spacer and ATT install actually went pretty smoothly it just took time. We removed the Vacuum Pump but were waiting on the right belt to arrive at NAPA (gotta make at least one trip so we just added parts to the list. 7/16 Drill Bit for the oil return tube to open up the mounting holes. 3/8 bit we had wasn't quite enough and the 1/2" bit looked too big. We opted to run oil rated hose for the return line to the block...another NAPA item. The previous owner managed to screw up the threads in the lower intake (center front). I told Colby, I see an "8mm 1.25 pitched tap in your future" the vs. assuming risk and trying to thread the bolt past damage in 'hope' it solved the issue. So NAPA list again. One thing not mentioned, or I missed it, with the spacer is the CDR hose. The hose from the CDR to the metal tube needs to be lengthened as the spacer moved things just far enough forward that there needs to be that much extra hose to make the bridge. NAPA anyone? Add it to the list. So, in the mean time, we clocked the exhaust elbow and the mocked up the assy to clock the turbo to the intake horn and got under the truck with the exhaust to line things up and then there were the obligatory jabs at Steve who was becoming quite the orator under there. We each took a turn lending a little help under there too but he definitely got the 'dad' end of the stick. Once we secured the parts from NAPA and some food (thanks again) it didn't take long to get things tapped, hosed, bolted, lined up and then it was dark and us old guys needed to call it a night.
Colby will have to post up the pictures. I got a couple but he'll do the write up and all.
Thanks again guys. As always, GTGs are fun and much better when combined with wrenching. The hospitality is much appreciated too.
Till next time.

Well we did our work party. Paul and Colby worked on the install of the ATT and the intake spacer; I worked on installing the oil cooler and stainless. Both jobs took much longer than expected. The install of the oil cooler lines at the rear was a biatch. The truck was fighting back. I finally ended up pulling the drive shaft, crossover (1 bolt sheared off) and the exhaust manifold, just to get the rear line torqued down. I'll need to finish drilling out and removing the bolt from the manifold tomorrow and get that put back together. Colby pretty much finished the ATT install tonight after Paul and I left. He also got the the Heath Cold Air Intake installed. Just a few odds and ends left to finish tomorrow. I never did get to work on installing the FRC-10 lift pump.

To show you that the oil cooler install was the messy job:

attachment.php

And the whole crew, Colby holding the old GM Turbo:

attachment.php

Looks like you guys had fun. Sorry it took so long, not sure what the deal was. Usually takes me a hour to do oil cooler kit, Ive only done the one ATT,but if I had the adaptor ready to go would have taken 1.5 hours(ish).
I wish there was a group of 6.5 owners around here, would be fun to GTG and wrench.

It was a fun time indeed. Big-T is pretty quick with a wrench when the project isn't being a wench.
The Spacer and ATT install actually went pretty smoothly it just took time. We removed the Vacuum Pump but were waiting on the right belt to arrive at NAPA (gotta make at least one trip so we just added parts to the list. 7/16 Drill Bit for the oil return tube to open up the mounting holes. 3/8 bit we had wasn't quite enough and the 1/2" bit looked too big. We opted to run oil rated hose for the return line to the block...another NAPA item. The previous owner managed to screw up the threads in the lower intake (center front). I told Colby, I see an "8mm 1.25 pitched tap in your future" the vs. assuming risk and trying to thread the bolt past damage in 'hope' it solved the issue. So NAPA list again. One thing not mentioned, or I missed it, with the spacer is the CDR hose. The hose from the CDR to the metal tube needs to be lengthened as the spacer moved things just far enough forward that there needs to be that much extra hose to make the bridge. NAPA anyone? Add it to the list. So, in the mean time, we clocked the exhaust elbow and the mocked up the assy to clock the turbo to the intake horn and got under the truck with the exhaust to line things up and then there were the obligatory jabs at Steve who was becoming quite the orator under there. We each took a turn lending a little help under there too but he definitely got the 'dad' end of the stick. Once we secured the parts from NAPA and some food (thanks again) it didn't take long to get things tapped, hosed, bolted, lined up and then it was dark and us old guys needed to call it a night.
Colby will have to post up the pictures. I got a couple but he'll do the write up and all.
Thanks again guys. As always, GTGs are fun and much better when combined with wrenching. The hospitality is much appreciated too.
Till next time.

I have the part # for the hose I used for the CDR extension somewhere, its in this thread or my install thread??
How come BigT is the only dirty one in the group?:sigh1:
Paul you should have you adaptor Monday if not allready?
If you guys have time and are in this neck of the country be sure to stop in.
Side note: ChevyLover PMed me the other day. He came all the way from Germany, drove right past my place a couple times and never stoped in. He did not think to ask where I was until he got back home.

I got all dirty oil dripping from the OEM hoses. The obstinate part was no clearance to get the rear elbow fitting to thread into the block right above the oil filter adapter. The end solution was to just remove the exhaust manifold. Should have just done that from the outset. As is typical, one bolt broke on the driver's side crossover connection. Now that manifold connection has two through bolts.

It's all connected up today. Colby is doing the finishing touches. We're assuming his PMD is going based on the stalling issues. Pulled the remote mount PMD from the '95, but it's the old black Stanadyne, whereas the suspect one on the '94 is a grey Stanadyne. He'll have to get another cable to use it.

I've only seen it so far on "some" 94s. The exhaust manifold can get in the way. Its only about 3/8" to 1/2" of extra material on the manifold. Its right out on the end of one of the flange mount bolt holes closest to block.
What I do is reach up there with a Sawsall and cut off the offending material. Takes about 5 minutes to do.
Sorry it doesint help you now, but someone else may see this.
Looking forward to pic's

Yep, that was exactly the problem. I went at it with a grinder and a cutting wheel. It was just enough material to knock the elbow out of the threads right as it was grabbing the threads. Very frustrating. Then when I went to pull the crossover, one of those bolts sheared off. I had another exhaust manifold in inventory, but it too had a sheared off bolt in it. I drilled that out and installed it using M10 1.5 bolts with nuts on the back side.

We got it back together, warmed it up and took it for a spin and hit the freeway. It runs very good. Peak boost we briefly saw was 14. 4 position tuner was working as designed. No drop off of boost due to wastegate issues ;-). No stalling, though that's a wait and see.

The speedo is still having it's issue. When you get to freeway speed of around 65 to 70, it will jump and stay pegged at 85 until you come to a stop, where it starts working again. That he'll just have to take into a speedo shop.

So his truck should be ready for his planned camping trip in the Mammonth, CA area over Thanksgiving week.

Here are some pictures from our work party this weekend:

ADAPTERPLATE.jpg

AdapterPlate_2.jpg

ATT_Adapter_2.jpg

ATT_ADAPTOR.jpg

ATT_ADAPTOR_2.jpg

ATT_DOWNPIPE.jpg

ATT_MOUNT.jpg

ATT_OIL.jpg

ATT_Setup.jpg

ATT1.jpg

ATT2.jpg

ATT3.jpg

ATT4.jpg

ByeBye.jpg

Clean_ATT.jpg

CleanOutCuttings.jpg

FirstBlood.jpg

Gasket.jpg

OilReturnCut.jpg

Sand.jpg
I had commentary to go along with the pictures, but when I posted them my computer went bonkers and told me to log back in.

Big thanks to Big T and Paveltolz for all the help this weekend.

I will add these pictures and a few more to another thread to help others with the install of the turbo.

Colby

Looks like you guys had fun. Sorry it took so long, not sure what the deal was. Usually takes me a hour to do oil cooler kit, Ive only done the one ATT,but if I had the adaptor ready to go would have taken 1.5 hours(ish).
I wish there was a group of 6.5 owners around here, would be fun to GTG and wrench.

I think it took longer because we were giving each other a hard time. Plus sometimes one has to stop wrinching to finish the story they are exaggerating on.

Colby

You want me to get on one for you now?

Sounds good. Can't wait to see the mechanic's face when I come in with another Forum inspired idea :hihi:

Now all I have to do is find the fluidampr that I bought from you last winter (wife decided that my workspace in the garage need reorganizing :nonod: and has a reputation of trashing things she does not recognize what they do :mad2: ) and get the rest of the motor swap under way.

Sounds good. Can't wait to see the mechanic's face when I come in with another Forum inspired idea :hihi:

Now all I have to do is find the fluidampr that I bought from you last winter (wife decided that my workspace in the garage need reorganizing :nonod: and has a reputation of trashing things she does not recognize what they do :mad2: ) and get the rest of the motor swap under way.

I'll get started on it tomorrow. Hope she didint throw away the FD.

Leroy, Colby kept asking when I was going to do the intake spacer. I told him that I'd let him be the guinea pig, kinda like WarWagon's role, well maybe not :). Anyhow, it ran great. Certainly no issues with the spacer.

Colby did install the Gen II Heath Cold Air Intake. We got that in trade for the set of PYO Wheels I had stripped and polished. Ted 635 delivered the wheels to Bill. The intake is sheet metal coated in black krinkle coat. 3 sides with the 4 open to the vent hole in the fender. Bottom cut to fit fender, sort of. Blue painted lid attached via Velcro tabs on top. Colby had to caulk around bottom and the fender side to close the gaps. You definitely can hear a turbo whine with this box.

Leroy, Colby kept asking when I was going to do the intake spacer. I told him that I'd let him be the guinea pig, kinda like WarWagon's role, well maybe not :). Anyhow, it ran great. Certainly no issues with the spacer.

Colby did install the Gen II Heath Cold Air Intake. We got that in trade for the set of PYO Wheels I had stripped and polished. Ted 635 delivered the wheels to Bill. The intake is sheet metal coated in black krinkle coat. 3 sides with the 4 open to the vent hole in the fender. Bottom cut to fit fender, sort of. Blue painted lid attached via Velcro tabs on top. Colby had to caulk around bottom and the fender side to close the gaps. You definitely can hear a turbo whine with this box.

Looks like he did a good job on the manifold adaptor.
Colby keep us posted on how she runs and MPG improvements. ( I love mine, can wait to take it for a road trip)

There were no issues with any of the kit items for the ATT or the Spacer. Hope that wasn't implied in my comments. We just took our time and had fun, for the most part, doing it. Delays came from the banter, side bar conversations (trucks, guns, joy ride, repeat).

Leroy, the spacer was here when I got back last night. I thought you were joking about painting it purple...Hilarious. Thanks.

IMG_2743s.jpg

Yes Mike (BtFarm), we know, got it, thanks, move along....:nana:

I like the build up for the rear, outside bolts negating the need for the washers.

Back