• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CKO Provent 200 Oil Catch Cans

I have seen pictures of the pro vent system that @Quadstar Tuning sells.
IDK if the one they market is special built for mounting.
It has a plate and two bolt holes to mount it to the fan shroud on the passenger side.
The pics I have seen, on fakebook, has left the CDR plugged into the rocker arm/valve cover and the outlet hose plugged in where the CDR hose hooks into the intake air hose between the turbo and the intake manifold.
That is a very clean looking system and very simple to get to for maintenance.
When I finally make that purchase that is where I am planning on mounting my catch can system.
Yeah I know, a lot of my good ideas is a copycat from something someone else put together. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
Can we get some pics of this install?

I found a pic of the Quadstar unit installed.
This is not the same pic as the one I seen on facebook.
The one on facebook was a much neater and cleaner install and the hoses were not spliced up.
It also plumbed from the CDR to the catch can then right back into the factory turbo hose connector.
IMG_9010.png

Here too is a pic of another install that I happened to catch in one of the face book posts.
IMG_9009.png

I found a pic of the Quadstar unit installed.
This is not the same pic as the one I seen on facebook.
The one on facebook was a much neater and cleaner install and the hoses were not spliced up.
It also plumbed from the CDR to the catch can then right back into the factory turbo hose connector.
View attachment 86333

Here too is a pic of another install that I happened to catch in one of the face book posts.
View attachment 86334
Thank you. Those provide solid ideas for install, if the CKO ProVent will fit over there. Looks like they bolted it to the fan shroud. Also looks like they just kept the CDR, which makes sense.

And the quadstar unit I seen in that other pic on fakebook, it was actually mounted to the fan shroud. I dont know if the mount bracket came with the catch can or if it was something the poster had made themselves. It was a mighty clean looking install.
I did a thorough search through all of the pages of Quadstar and those catch cans must have been discontinued. They were not listed anywhere in their site.

Thank you. Those provide solid ideas for install, if the CKO ProVent will fit over there. Looks like they bolted it to the fan shroud. Also looks like they just kept the CDR, which makes sense.
I too like the idea of keeping the CDR in place.
If a person was installing some aftermarket air filter to turbo kit then I can see why they have such a , what I will call, an ugly installation.
That one I seen in facebook was just so much neater and cleaner plumbed into the stock intake hose, where the CDR plugs into.

Whenever I have plumbing to do on an engine. Heater hoses or vacuum hoses and I dont like making a bend, due to lack of room or I dont want to make a long run with a loop in it to get in a bend, I go to the parts store.
They have a large variety of plastic couplers, elbows and or Ts.
Just a hint for plumbing ideas. 😹😹😹

I disagree about the cdr.
I’ve worked on too many diesels that run catch can systems and a few that run different versions of a cdr.
The point of a cdr is to reduce the flow volume coming out of the engine at higher rpm where the pressure relief is needed the most.
The original attempt gm did was a simple mesh filter and no regulation of flow. As the engine got to 60,000 miles the oil consumption was absurd. Over 150,000 they could run away. So they used a hacked version of the cdr created by caterpillars 2 stroke that ran away so often they quit building it.

There is now one unit that works better than the provent, the provent2. You don’t want to know the size or price of it. The provent doesn’t run a regulator on its system for a reason. The speed of the flow assists in the separation. If a cdr would help it work better, they would simply include one in the provent, or in the provent2- which btw maintains an even high flow rate.

Or ignore what the best device created by the best engineers figured out how to do it better than anyone else, reengineer it all and run with that.

Well, the question is. to run the CDR or not to run the CDR. I have two different styles here. the one that was on the 93 (a tuna can that lays flat) and another like what's on my 95 ( tuna can that lays on it's side)

the one that was on the 93 when I bought it which lays flat I had pulled from the engine and turned over only to find about 1-2 ounces of oil pour out of it on the ground, I swapped it for one that sits on it's side thinking it would help allowing oil not to pool up in it and drain back into the valve cover.

Oil isn't collecting in it but there is enough oil making it's way into the turbo that worries me. loosing 2 quarts over about 350 miles (first quart in 240, second in only 100 miles)

under heavy acceleration and when I see boost pressures up near 5psi I am seeing greyish smoke trails behind me on the freeway. leaving the tube off the turbo and venting with a hose below the frame, sitting at a traffic light at night, I can see the oil fog emerge all around the headlights, enough fog to make a passerby think the truck is on fire!

One thing I did take note of is the changes before and after installing the TM on the turbo. before, the actuator was wire tied is such a way the lever was slightly open. the engine would barley move the boost gauge under heavy acceleration and would roll coal going up the entrance ramp of the freeway. I had not yet noticed the oil consumption. Now that I installed the TM (turbo master) and adjusted it to allow low boost pressures (most I have seen is 5 psi) though I have not done a WOT to see how much it will build, I am now just seeing greyish smoke instead of the coal roll it was doing. I think the greyish smoke is the oil burning.

I also think the turbo is now pulling and sucking more oil from the crankcase than it was before the TM install.

Needless to say this engine is in sad shape from the blowby but runs well and has more giddy-up than my 95 does. the way it cranks and starts up hasn't been an issue that would lead me to think it had low compression issues more so than my 95. though the 95 does have blowby but not as bad that it's loosing oil like this.

I'm hoping this provent knock off will help catch the oil as well as ease my worry of a runaway. my 95 needs some serious front end work and I would like to get the 93 dependable enough to drive while the 95 goes under the wrenches.

Well folks, the CKO provent has arrived. I did some inspection on it after unboxing and, well it's not much other than an attempt of a copy of the real thing.

Below are some photos. I first noticed when I unscrewed the top cover off, the inner piece was not attached. pulled that out and realized there is a defect in the plastic where the inner side won't stay attached. I might drill though and use some small screws and nuts to attach them later on, but for now the inner piece is easy to get out.

looking at the stainless filter, it has multiple layers, looks like two layers on the outer side and another two layers on the inside. this makes it a somewhat very fine mesh filter.

Now on to the housing... I pulled off the rubber caps and immediately discovered that there is no valve in the outlet, it's a free flow in both directions as I had suspected. (note my finger in the photo)

There is some plastic molding left-overs which I have already cleaned out both in the body and on the outer cap.

IMG_4910.jpg
IMG_4911.jpg
IMG_4912.jpg
IMG_4915.jpg
IMG_4914.jpg
IMG_4913.jpg
IMG_4916.jpg

It does have arrows indicating the top is the inlet and the bottom is the outlet. I looked at where I could mount this under the hood and see that due to the size it looks like the only logical place would be on the fan shroud in front of the turbo. Leaving a hose hang down to the frame area where i could strap a bottle to hold oil that is caught by this.

And here is the install... ended up getting some reinforced 1in hose from the hardware store to run from the CDR to the provent for now. it's seems to have a thick wall that is heavier than heater hose and shows to be able to withstand higher temps but not under pressure. this will work for now. I couldn't bend this hose to route it to the turbo inlet without it kinking or putting too much stress on the thin plastic housing of the proven knock off. so I opted to use a couple of the rubber elbows that originally gose on the intake hose and ran a piece of silicone heater hose which I had laying around the house. This might not be the perfect solution but it's what I had to work with on a cheap budget and just to see how it works.

I ran the engine for about 7-8 minutes, enough for some heat to begin building in the coolant. shut it down and opened up the top of the provent to find a film of oil already forming on the top side of the inside area but pulling the filter there was no oil film on it or the lower area of the housing yet. Time will tell.

I want to pull off the inner fender to open up and check the turbo drain, piece of mind that it's clear and free flowing. The PO has some what looks like 1 in hose running from the turbo to the block without the metal pipe that was there from factory. I have one of those factory turbo oil drain pipes I am thinking about using instead of the hose he installed. I also might, not sure yet, but swap out the turbo with the old one I pulled from my 95. it's a GM-4 that still works and did not have any internal leaks when I pulled it. this will eliminate the question about this turbo possibly having oil blowing past the seals.

IMG_4917.jpg
IMG_4918.jpg
IMG_4919.jpg
IMG_4920.jpg

I have the real provent not installed yet, on the new motor I don't have a cdr on the valve cover, I have the older oil fill tube and baffle in the cover.
I believe one reason the cdr on the cover has oil to deal with is the mesh inside the cover gets a lot of oil splashed into it from the rockets. At high rpm's the oil is thrown up into the mesh and internal blow by sucks up a lot of oil that can't drain off the mesh.

I disagree about the cdr.
I’ve worked on too many diesels that run catch can systems and a few that run different versions of a cdr.
The point of a cdr is to reduce the flow volume coming out of the engine at higher rpm where the pressure relief is needed the most.
The original attempt gm did was a simple mesh filter and no regulation of flow. As the engine got to 60,000 miles the oil consumption was absurd. Over 150,000 they could run away. So they used a hacked version of the cdr created by caterpillars 2 stroke that ran away so often they quit building it.

There is now one unit that works better than the provent, the provent2. You don’t want to know the size or price of it. The provent doesn’t run a regulator on its system for a reason. The speed of the flow assists in the separation. If a cdr would help it work better, they would simply include one in the provent, or in the provent2- which btw maintains an even high flow rate.

Or ignore what the best device created by the best engineers figured out how to do it better than anyone else, reengineer it all and run with that.

What has changed in the new Provent? I didn't see anything specific in their flyer comparing the old and new.

Oh, I see now. I had to look at the service documents to spot it, but they reversed the inlet/outlet positions so that it pulls air up through the filters. IDParts has the 200 unit listed for 179.95 right now. https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-200-ccv-filter-assembly-395-s02-1239537s02-p-16275.html

If I didn't just buy a new CDR less than 10k miles ago I'd consider getting one.
So You would not run the CDR to the new pro vent ?

Interesting that they reversed the inlet/outlet hoses.
Without going back through many posts, I believe it was @dbrannon79 had mentioned doing just that but then also mentioned possible problems with a valve too.

Back