• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CKO Provent 200 Oil Catch Cans

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
Guys, since I have found the need to install a catch can on my truck, I have been looking at the CKO knock offs on the jungle site and noticed something.

on the diagrams and photos, each one shows the outlet at the lower end of the housing. this got me to start thinking about gravity and the oil collecting at the lower end of the catch can how easily the oil can be sucked into the intake when the can doesn't have very much oil in it.

I'm not going to link the item but if you go on Amazon dot com and search this item number B08FMN2B63 or B07HKBRZ2K you will get one of the knock off provent 200's.

These all come with a stainless mesh filter but can be replaced with the "real" provent 200 filter. Look at the diagram where the inlet and the outlet is along with some photos I pulled from the ad and from user reviews. take note of the outlet location and how there is nothing stopping the oil from flowing into the top and going back into the intake from the lower connection.

I'm not exactly sure how the valve in the lower connection is supposed to work, but user comments are saying that it's free flowing in both directions. Tell me if I am wrong but I think that it would be better to reverse the connections so that the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet at the top that would connect to the turbo intake tube. This way the crankcase vapor would have to enter from the bottom and go through the outside of the filter and up through the center to the connection at the top.

@Will L. I know you like these things in conjunction with using the real filter. whats your thoughts on this and how it's designed (outlet on the lower end that fills with oil).

1708052926856.png

1708052954717.png

1708053054916.png

Here is something that shows the real filter does fit but needs a slight modification. the guy uses a cut section of some clear rubber tubing to make a spacer on the o-ring. also take note of the copper tubing that he fitted into the hose ports to give it some extra rigidity even though he does not mention it in the video.

Nice.
I see the KO 200s in fleabay for about $40.00.
I guess the paper/cloth filter is the one to use.
A light smear of silicone dielectric grease and the expanded O ring filter would pop right in without force.

for a re-usable filter, the thought occurred to me to take the mesh screen filter from the knock off one and wrap it a few times with some TP or cheese cloth. something cheap and disposable though the wifey might not like me very much stealing her cheese cloth or cutting her panty hose for a filter HAHA.

He said in the video something like - does the other filter work better, who knows…

He obviously was just then trying to install it for the first time. Everyone that used the real filter and tried the stainless steel mesh ones noticed they almost completely quit working.

In one video He was talking about bypassing the over pressurization valve. Probably not the smartest idea. If the system quits flowing properly it will build pressure and open up there to vent pressure rather than blowing out gaskets.

Mounting the catch can so the line from the valve cover, or oil fill tube if oil slinger guard is installed is better, then having the 1” line being a long hose and at same height or higher than the supply outlet- all helps. Getting the vacuum side line short as possible to have a higher vacuum level From the turbo is a good thing.

Improperly installed drain line will destroy the functionality of the unit.
Mounting the can near the hot engine or exhaust is not helpful also. You want the hoses and can all to be as cold as possible.

So this can needs to be continuously draining back to the engine not allowing it to fill with oil. I'm still trying to figure out a "best" location to mount it. I have to option of using the hole on the valve cover where the CDR goes, or installing the older style oil fill tube which has a port where a CDR would be connected there.

If I use the oil fill tube connection, I could possibly mount the can up on the firewall above the engine and the drain would go to the hole on the valve cover. that would make the catch can be mounted in the highest point in the engine compartment, but it's right above the engine catching all the heat. another place I have looked at is there is plenty of room over the driver side inner fender, but that would require a long run for both the inlet and outlet.

Btw- do not just modify something into a filter. It isn’t a filter to clean. It is a coalescent device named as a filter so people just have a familiar term. It isn’t filtering anything.

Above the engine isn’t ideal because of the heat. Remember getting it cold is best.

As to the drain, instead of draining back into the engine with the check valve, they just attach a long tube as possible and put a ball valve and cap on the end.
Then when the hose is full just drain into a bottle, and pour oil back in the oil fill manually.
I’ll try to find video demo

I have seen pictures of the pro vent system that @Quadstar Tuning sells.
IDK if the one they market is special built for mounting.
It has a plate and two bolt holes to mount it to the fan shroud on the passenger side.
The pics I have seen, on fakebook, has left the CDR plugged into the rocker arm/valve cover and the outlet hose plugged in where the CDR hose hooks into the intake air hose between the turbo and the intake manifold.
That is a very clean looking system and very simple to get to for maintenance.
When I finally make that purchase that is where I am planning on mounting my catch can system.
Yeah I know, a lot of my good ideas is a copycat from something someone else put together. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

for a re-usable filter, the thought occurred to me to take the mesh screen filter from the knock off one and wrap it a few times with some TP or cheese cloth. something cheap and disposable though the wifey might not like me very much stealing her cheese cloth or cutting her panty hose for a filter HAHA.
Use the crotch for best filtering.

I have seen pictures of the pro vent system that @Quadstar Tuning sells.
IDK if the one they market is special built for mounting.
It has a plate and two bolt holes to mount it to the fan shroud on the passenger side.
The pics I have seen, on fakebook, has left the CDR plugged into the rocker arm/valve cover and the outlet hose plugged in where the CDR hose hooks into the intake air hose between the turbo and the intake manifold.
That is a very clean looking system and very simple to get to for maintenance.
When I finally make that purchase that is where I am planning on mounting my catch can system.
Yeah I know, a lot of my good ideas is a copycat from something someone else put together. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
Can you post some pictures of this install?

I just placed the order today for the Knock-off provent 200 from the jungle site. should be here on Thursday. I plan to try using some 1" clear tubing from the hardware store so I can see how quickly they start getting oil in them. I think I will start out using the stainless filter it comes with along with maybe some experimentation on a couple of materials around the house. something that came to my mind was a layer of used clothes dryer sheets. that stuff is breathable and might help with catching oil. then try the real filter.

Looking for a place to mount it, I have a lot of room on the drivers inner fender area, I might start there with it and see how that goes. I know others mount them on the fan shroud to the passenger side, but for this truck there is a lot of hoses and what not in that area, won't be easy to attach a soda bottle under it to collect oil. I figure I better run the drain hose into a bottle of some sort since I am loosing about a quart per 100 miles though I think some of that oil might be passing through the rings and getting burnt.

I may also try to pour in a can of that restore like Will said. See if that does anything. Hopefully the engine doesn't go south while I'm testing it, if so I thing this 93 might become a parts truck for my 95 or if I get inspired I might start going though that 6.2 engine and possibly drop it into this truck.

The clear tubing was going to be a temporary thing. one, just to know what and where I will end up permanently mounting it, and for the visuals. It will get replaced with better hose. I think they show some heavier tubing, I will look when I go in.

Back