• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buying a Suburban - 6.5l vs Vortec

Everyone I knew with the intake and water pump problems all removed the red antifreeze and the problems went away.:thumbsup:

Waterpumps? I have 210,000 km's on my 4.3 and its had one waterpump and one intake, :thumbsup: I did take out the red stuff when I did the waterpump at 150 and put Prestone extended life in instead.

Its not the red stuff for the intake gaskets, its the crappy plastic design, they just dissolve over time, stupid, :mad2:

Waterpumps? I have 210,000 km's on my 4.3 and its had one waterpump and one intake, :thumbsup: I did take out the red stuff when I did the waterpump at 150 and put Prestone extended life in instead.

Its not the red stuff for the intake gaskets, its the crappy plastic design, they just dissolve over time, stupid, :mad2:

The waterpumps seem to be the 5.7 and the 5.3. My 4.3 in my jimmy has the stock waterpump. I dont look at the milage but last I looked it was pushing 200k.

Maybe its was just the 98, the yukon had the intake gasket then the water pump at around 40k. The 04 yukon was just a waterpump. A friends 98 pickup with the 5.7 did the same thing. So did my sisters rig.

Last edited:
The waterpumps seem to be the 5.7 and the 5.3. My 4.3 in my jimmy has the stock waterpump. I dont look at the milage but last I looked it was pushing 200k.

I work on cars all day, :( haven't really noticed the 5.7's and 5.3's eating waterpumps, maybe bad water in your neck of the woods, ):h

I've had 300k out of 5.7's that have never been touched, plenty at 200k.

Intakes aren't as bad of a problem as the 3.4 IMO

I had a 3.4 DOHC, I got it with a broken timing belt. What a pain in the butt, I got it fixed and sold. :thumbsup:

Those 350's are bulletproof but watch the intakes, they like to start leaking every 60K miles, :(

I like to do a cat back, Flowmaster is my favourite, throttle body spacer, remove the throttle blade half moon thingy, good plug wires, K@N air filter or entire kit, programmer and have fun, :thumbsup:

Since we are way off topic, but in a happy thread, and Now it relates to OP's new vehicle...

What does the throttle body spacer do?

Since we are way off topic, but in a happy thread, and Now it relates to OP's new vehicle...

What does the throttle body spacer do?

You must be only in to diesel to not know that ):h

Its supposed to put a space between the throttle body and intake. It makes the air being pulled in swirl making the fuel burn better giving more power and better mpgs. Thats my undertanding anyways. Some people say they are BS and dont do anything.

It was just to allow more time to mix the fuel air mixture. They also made high rise intakes to do the same thing.

They were 'way better for the cylinder balance on the old carbureted vehicles... a high-rise under your Holley DP was worth at least 10-15 HP, and cooler temps, too. Had about the same effect as tuned vs untuned headers, come to think of it.

Ah, those were the days.

You must be only in to diesel to not know that ):h

Its supposed to put a space between the throttle body and intake. It makes the air being pulled in swirl making the fuel burn better giving more power and better mpgs. Thats my undertanding anyways. Some people say they are BS and dont do anything.

I picked up 1-2 mpg on the highway, it seemed it had more midrange when tested with my patented but-o-meter, :eek: ):h

But yeah, what he said plus they add volume, like Jfaire said, :thumbsup:

They were 'way better for the cylinder balance on the old carbureted vehicles... a high-rise under your Holley DP was worth at least 10-15 HP, and cooler temps, too. Had about the same effect as tuned vs untuned headers, come to think of it.

Ah, those were the days.

May have to put one on my grandpas old 1979 chevy truck. When I put the edlebrock aircleaner on there I had to use a spacer ontop on the carb from a van. Probably about 2".

Back