• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Buying a Suburban - 6.5l vs Vortec

We do have smog laws here. For gas vehicles it is anything newer than 1975. Most have to be smogged every other year. Diesel smog checks just started this year (or late last year). They cover '97 and newer diesels.

What about the goofy emission laws they have in CA? Dont they test your cars? Im not sure what would be better living in a place like that. A gasser would probably be better for keeping up with the smog crap.

Good luck getting a gasser to pass emissions. Really! Diesels our age in AZ is just a floor it, hold the rev limiter, and do a smoke test. No dyno rollers, NOx or other BS gassers have.

A TBI 1995 350 Yukon was about the best vehicle I owned. Other than constant AC issues the engine only had a bad EGR and a water pump uneven flow failure. In 150K I never had the heads off or pulled the engine. I did have to rebuild the transmission due to the in tank radiator leaking coolant into the trans oil.

Yes the MPG was 12-15, but, it always started and ran.

A 454 Suburban, chip it and open up the exhaust would be ideal. A diesel is nice if you want to work on it and your wife will not kill you for being broken down stranded. This being said after I am replacing the blown up 6.5 in my pickup. And did not have much luck with a 6.2 suburban in 1988…

A 6.5 Pickup with more boost, exhaust, and fuel turned up really moves with 4.10’s. A Duramax will rape it, but…

Good luck getting a gasser to pass emissions. Really! Diesels our age in AZ is just a floor it, hold the rev limiter, and do a smoke test. No dyno rollers, NOx or other BS gassers have.

I have owned many vehicles in CA and never had one not pass smog. Is this a problem in AZ?

I have owned many vehicles in CA and never had one not pass smog. Is this a problem in AZ?

Sit outside a smog shop and watch the number of vehicles that fail in CA. You would be surprised at the number of ‘newer’ ones that do fail. High NOx, cats that are weak but not tripped the light… :mad2:

Well, I am turning 35 this month and have driven and owned vehicles since I have been 16. I have a medium sized family and many friend who live in CA. I have not know one person to fail a smog test. I am sure it does happen, but imho it is not something that one really worries about, unless you are one of those who worry about everything.

It is even more non-important when buying a vehicle. It is the sellers responsibility to provide a smog cert. Most have it in hand when trying to sell a car.

Sorry to dredge up WarWagon's post #22, but I just read the thread and had to comment.

The gas engine will take more punishment and abuse than the diesel.

Really? You can push the gas engine harder and longer than a 6.5? Not so sure about that.

So the gas engine blows up at less miles than a diesel – I am not sure that is anything less than a rumor for light duty diesels. (Maybe for the Duramax generation stuff.) Forget to change the damper or overheat the 6.5 diesel once and you are changing it out for total engine destruction. Every repair is major and expensive vs. the gas guzzler.

You CAN run a 350 for a long time if well maintained, very simple and rugged engine, but a well maintained 6.5 will go a lot farther, in my opinion. My personal experience is a 200,000 mile 6.5 runs, sounds, and pulls the same as a low miles one, hard to tell the difference without looking. A 200,000 mile 350 gas motor will sound, run, and pull like a worn engine.

Yes, if you don't address faulty parts or overheat a 6.5 it will die, same as every other engine on the planet.

I'm not going to argue economics, clearly there is a cost associated with maintaining dlesel engines. But, the 6.5 is pretty inexpensive to put parts in, and in the end I drive a diesel because I want to.

No worries Dave. :D

I ended up buying a '99 suburban with the 5.7l. It is clean, inside and out. It is is good condition and runs great. It has a few minor issues, but the cost was only $3000. I REALLY wanted a 6.5l suburban, but it just was not working out right now, financially or timing wise. I think I will own a 6.5l sub in the future and still get to play with my 6.2l hot-rodded sub. Pics coming soon.

Congrats Mikey! Good luck with the "new" Sub, glad you stayed in the family. Sounds like you got a great deal at 3 grand. Never ceases to amaze me how much vehicle you can get for a good price if you look hard enough.

Let us know how the power feels compared to your 6.2, mpg, etc.

Congrats Mikey! Good luck with the "new" Sub, glad you stayed in the family. Sounds like you got a great deal at 3 grand. Never ceases to amaze me how much vehicle you can get for a good price if you look hard enough.

Or until you buy one for alot more, thats how it works for me.

Maybe you missed the post about the 'medium sized family'.. That interior's a gonner! ):h

you mean these two (soon to be 3!).:D:D:D

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

Here is some pics of the new sub;

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Look at that Sub! Let me think .... buy a new one for $50,000, or the one you bought for $3,000. What a hard decision ......

Really looks nice, you'll enjoy it. Great looking kids, wait until #3 arrives and they have to share attention with the cute little baby. I have 3 kids and around once a week I'll have my 3 plus 3 friends to take somewhere, have to use the 3rd row seat. No way I could get by with a 5 passenger car at this point.

Great looking kids, great looking 'burb. Congrats and best wishes on impending arrival of #3!

-Rob :)

Those 350's are bulletproof but watch the intakes, they like to start leaking every 60K miles, :(

I like to do a cat back, Flowmaster is my favourite, throttle body spacer, remove the throttle blade half moon thingy, good plug wires, K@N air filter or entire kit, programmer and have fun, :thumbsup:

Back