• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

Too many purple themed cars out there, most of them hand painted fails with what looks like Latex, then there's a couple out there that do look good, but they're rare. That Mustang from Canada last year looked spectacular... But, if you think its a great idea, you go right ahead and do it only to your truck. Post Pictures.

You could always go with Desert Cammo in CARC. That would probably work well in Utah for blending into the background.

The options on your truck or the Duramax?
The options on the Duramx. No options on my truck, they're all purchases.

Here's some purple car shots from Bonneville, while we wait for our regulare scheduled programing to start again....
The good,
DSC01973.jpg
DSC01545.jpg
DSC00143.jpg

the not so good,
DSC01954.jpg
DSC01617.jpg

and the ugly (but it has a great personality)
DSC02060.jpg

Of course, I could just media blast the pig, hit it with a buffing wheel
DSC01939.jpg Maybe add pastees?
I think that sucker went 200mph last October.

Not the 'Burb, but maybe the '94 C&C with the utility box. It's in Chevy light metallic blue and is sun fading, plus it has all those pinstripe swirls that the original East Texas owner thought looked so good on the hood, fenders, doors and cargo box doors. Don't know if I could get more for it with a new purple paint job or the fading original one when I go to sell it. A good coat of Emron with some metallic flake and a belt line gold pinstripe down the fender and door wouldn't look too bad on the service truck. . .Perhaps a future project when I get back up on my feet physically and financially.

I'd pay more for the that truck with original paint. I would like to find a truck with service bed or a service bed for one of my many duallys.

You could always go with Desert Cammo in CARC. That would probably work well in Utah for blending into the background.

I always thought that would look cool. But do it in the chocolate chip style and clear coat it after so it had a nice shine. I seen one one day with an old woodland camo that was cleared and buffed nicely. It was one sweet paint job.

Paul, WHY did you put that sweet '53 Studebaker Champion 2dr hardtop in the "not so good" category??? Those things are some of the most aerodynamic, best looking things to ever come out of Detroit. Hell, even Gale Banks ran one at Bonneville to set records back when he was a pup. And I'm not saying this because we had 32 Studebakers out at our farm when I was a kid (my dad was, and still is a Studey fan) including concours show cars, daily cruisers, his prized Avanti R-2 supercharged, his '53 Champion Coupe Studillac street rod (Studebaker with a '55 Cadillac engine in it and the Studebaker 3 speed with electric OD manual tranny) THE hot set up in the '50's. Then there was the '62 Champ pickup we used around the farm.

Even though I hate purple... I love the '53 Stud. I have a ton of Studebaker history in me. My uncle was a VP there and I rode in Avanti #2 many times. Also helped the guy across the street from me put an Olds engine in a '53 Coupe. That thing would fly!

Paul, WHY did you put that sweet '53 Studebaker Champion 2dr hardtop in the "not so good" category??? Those things are some of the most aerodynamic, best looking things to ever come out of Detroit. Hell, even Gale Banks ran one at Bonneville to set records back when he was a pup. And I'm not saying this because we had 32 Studebakers out at our farm when I was a kid (my dad was, and still is a Studey fan) including concours show cars, daily cruisers, his prized Avanti R-2 supercharged, his '53 Champion Coupe Studillac street rod (Studebaker with a '55 Cadillac engine in it and the Studebaker 3 speed with electric OD manual tranny) THE hot set up in the '50's. Then there was the '62 Champ pickup we used around the farm.

I fully understand and will amend the catagory to BAD for a two word reason:

PAINT JOB:rolleyes5:

Is burgundy purple? My truck is burgundy.......my horse trailer is burgundy n gray.....wonder if Paul is talking about my gooseneck horse trailer with homemade living quarters. I painted it Burgundy n gray with latex exterior gloss with a roller n paintbrush. It looks great at a 100 yards at 55 mph. Paul saw it last spring, I think Paul is prejiduced against me n my painting skills! I cant help it if I turned the burgundy paint can over on the gray fender and didna have any gray paint left to go back over the fender......I think that spash looks sorta cool on the fender!!!!! And seriously Paul I know the next time to get some masking tape to make the lines sharp between the two different colors......You know I really thought I could hold that 4 inch brush steady enough to paint those lines, really appreciate the tip Paul about using masking tape, its gotta be a big hep!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Four inch paintbrush makes four inch lines right guys????

Except when they make 7" pinstripes! The only thing close to a latex and roller paint job would be an Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for $99" paint job.

So Husker, tell us how you really feel about studibakers... LOL

I LOVE them!! Their engineering was decades ahead (automatic overdrives, disc brakes, hill holder, fuel economy, etc) of the other manufacturers, and the Raymond Loewy designed cars were SO much better than the Big Three's stuff! Give me a '53 Loewy coupe or a '63 Golden Hawk for styling any day! Let's talk really advanced with the Avanti - fiberglass body, disc brakes, four engine options - two of them supercharged, cockpit style instrumentation and switches (some switches were overhead in a console and some on a console between the seats) and a KILLER good ride and handling with an excellent F/R balance! I had an extremely rare '40 Champion 3 passenger business coupe I owned for a few years in college that I was going to either restore (needed minimal work to do so) or street rod, but never got around to it and wound up getting rid of it a couple of years later. We were members of the Nebraska/Iowa Studebaker Collectors club, and my dad had owned since the '60's a Studebaker Straight Six powered Pike's Peak Hill Climber Special - looked like a long, thin Sprint Car, designed for the famous race - that he had found somewhere.

Is burgundy purple? My truck is burgundy.......my horse trailer is burgundy n gray.....wonder if Paul is talking about my gooseneck horse trailer with homemade living quarters. I painted it Burgundy n gray with latex exterior gloss with a roller n paintbrush. It looks great at a 100 yards at 55 mph. Paul saw it last spring, I think Paul is prejiduced against me n my painting skills! I cant help it if I turned the burgundy paint can over on the gray fender and didna have any gray paint left to go back over the fender......I think that spash looks sorta cool on the fender!!!!! And seriously Paul I know the next time to get some masking tape to make the lines sharp between the two different colors......You know I really thought I could hold that 4 inch brush steady enough to paint those lines, really appreciate the tip Paul about using masking tape, its gotta be a big hep!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Bill, Your trailer looked fine. I didn't even notice any flaws. Its the guys at the flats that are 'showing off' the fact that you can't put lipstick on a Pig but, you can make a nice car look like a pig if you go stupid with the paint application.

Engine is about done. Delivery is slated for 9 FEB 13.
Today, the oil pump goes in and the bottom gets buttoned up with just a spare pan and a couple of bolts for protection along with temp valve covers.
The Glow Plugs, HO Injectors and P#3 (cam specific) Tuned ECM are sitting next to it with "DO NOT TOUCH, PAUL's Stuff" signs on them.
The correct, N&I Stanadyne DS-4 (ULSD) IP should be in by Monday next so it will all get put into a military shipping crate on the 7th or 8th of FEB and 635 will hit the road for my place. I'll tear down front end to get the old motor out and allow for ease of install of the new one and we should be able to run it down to Pamona for the NHRA opener on the 17th. Which is fitting because it was on the same journey to Pamona last year that the idea formalized to purchase and rebuild this motor...time fly's. I have the 18th off so we can take our time going down there and back. By the time we're back in Vegas, the 1st 1000 miles will be up and we can foot it a bit to get an idea of what we've created.

So should I plan to be at your place on the 9th to start the tear down? It won't take terribly long, we could have the front clip off and the engine out in a matter of 4 or 5 hours. (Rough estimate based on our last project. :hihi:)

I start a new job on Monday, so I won't be as flexible as I have been this past year, but I'm happy to help out in any way I can.

I would be very gratefull for any and all of your help. I need to "borrow" your engine stand at least.
Boym, having done these swaps at least thrice (6.5s) by yourself and Ted having done five in the last few months solo moves you both to Supervisory status. He's hoping that this is the last one and is looking forward to having help. Then again, there's the old addage, "One boy does the work of one boy; Two boys do the work of half a boy; Three boys do no work at all."I'll pull what I can of the front clip on Friday afternoon. I'll burn some comp. time that day to do so.
I think if we could get the motor out on Saturday, brace the tranny so we can roll the truck back to make room for maneuvering the old motor out of the way and the new motor to the front, we will be way ahead of the deal. I'm reluctant to remove the front core support (AC Condensor) but will do what you recommend. I will have Ross Hayner purge the A/C to make working around that system less worrysome.
Once Ted shows up, we can unload the engine and get inside to start warming the block so it can be cleaned and painted.
Then, Chrome goes on, lines go on, GPs and Injectors, Fluid Dampener....

By the way, Congratulations to you on the new job. I know how good it feels to be working again.

Ted, Thanks a million for all you've been doing to keep things moving forward as best you could. So very much appreciated.

Ok Paul we now have a solid agenda and EXPECTATIONS!!!! PresURE!!! Wish I cojld be there, yall are gonna have a blast! I
Yeah, when we start to slow down you could show us your before and after pictures of your toe! Hope your healing process is speedy.

As for the truck:
Busy day tinkering. I replace the pyrometer with an LED unit from ISSPRO. The other gauges lit up fine and were readable but the pyro wasn’t. Now it’s all good.

Mocked up the FS-2500s inside the ‘Pork Chop’ tool box.
IMG_1404.jpg

I decided to position them so that when the lid is opened, I can see them rather than have to stand on my toes and look over the bed cap.
IMG_1412.jpg
IMG_1413.jpg

I picked up a couple of porch straps from Home Depot to use as mounting brackets/plates. The pre-drilled nailing holes lined up on center with the FS-2500s so those just needed to be enlarged to 3/8”. Aside from having to drill two holes in the middle, the remaining nailing holes use to bolt the plates sandwich fashion to the tool box just needed enlarging to 5/16”.
IMG_1408.jpg

I used the modified mounting plates as a drilling template for the toolbox and then mocked things up to check for fit. It look good to go from this point.
IMG_1410.jpg
IMG_1411.jpg

I will place a spacer between the filter housing and the tool box lower down so the tool box doesn’t fatigue with them moving back and forth. The filters are quite heavy empty.
IMG_1414.jpg

Now to brace the the boxes in the bed and drill a 1 1/2” hole for the lines to run through. That part will have to wait as I’m out of town again this next week for a few days.

Back