• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

You should see the rest of the stable....I'll let him log in and describe what he will but I will say the family has a passion for fine running Chevy's.

Ted (635) sent me a picture of the motor in it's current state.
20130204-Motor.jpg
It may be a little blurry but I can't fault him if he's trembling with a little excitement too.:nanawrench:

I told him that the powdercoated timing cover on that unpainted block makes a good visual reference to 'lipstick on a pig.'
To quote Ted, "ENGINE WILL BE IN THE CRATE WEDNESDAY!"

Still a couple of things to be done before crating up:
Soft Seal Kit installed (delivery set of tomorrow, 5 FEB 13)
Fluid Dampener and HB Pulley installed

I'll pick up a block heater, masking tape, degreaser and black RTV when I get home from Colorado Springs Wednesday.

When Ted arrives with the motor, we'll light off the Mr. Hero 35,000 BTU heater and start warming it up for cleaning, taping and painting and then swap the shipping oil pan and valve covers for the shinny stuff.
:bling:

My wife will be on stand by to run up to O'Reilly's as needed. Even my "what's a wrench son-in-law" has been volunteered by my sweet, lovely, charming, pregnant-with-grand-curtain-climber #1, daughter to help. Actually, last fall, Ted dragged him away from his computer and out to the truck to help do the bumper swaps and he did a great job. I also walked him through his first DIY brake job and he's alright. Just not too outgoing but when you pull him off the couch, he's good and enjoys himself.

I'm concerned I won't have time to get the FS-2500 set up done but, I'm sure I can at least get it to the point of functionality and then button up the annoying little details later. I do have another road trip on Thursday but it isn't an overnighter and I just found out I'm on salary and not hourly with this job. So I'll have my 40 for the week in by noon Thursday and chuck the rest on the 'comp time' pile with the other 50 or so hours I've stacked up. Boss said to take the next week off (but charge it to Vacation...I'm good with that) and the only other important thing I must do that week is attend my oldest's graduating from his Tech College, finally.

Ted's optimism is contagious so I'm really looking forward to this event rather than with dread if I were trying to do it myself. Jake, I'll keep you posted as to Teds progress but if you could at least help me get the old power plant out I'd be very grateful.:thankyou2:

We'll also take some time to get rid of some lead weights I have in the basement with his Carbine converted Glock and my Sig M-400:rocketwhore:

I did plenty of TDY back in my day. A few days here, a week or two there, but the Per Diem, C.O.L. and Travel Pay helped make up for the never being home for long on those occasions.

Motor is crated. Break in procedure instructions received, confirmed and written down. Tomorrow I should get the"East bound and down" message from Ted. Tear down starts tomorrow night.

Motor is crated. Break in procedure instructions received, confirmed and written down. Tomorrow I should get the"East bound and down" message from Ted. Tear down starts tomorrow night.

Hooray! The light at the end of the tunnel, and it's NOT the headlight of the train coming at you!

Very exciting news Paul. Glad to see your finally getting that motor and thanks for the invite the The Stop. Cant wait to see the results :thumbsup:

Very exciting news Paul. Glad to see your finally getting that motor and thanks for the invite the The Stop. Cant wait to see the results :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, Glad you made it and you have got to start a build thread outlining your work for the appreciation of all here.

You, your dad and brother(s) are welcome here anytime. Drop on by if you like. I've a 'lovely parting gift' for your truck and it would save me a trip to the post office. Call or Text me.

Yesterday's Picture with Fluid Dampener installed, soft plugs and dropped into the shipping crate.
20130206 Motor.jpg

Ted has decided to push on through instead of R.O.N. in Idaho, so he'll be here in about two hours; 2230hrs MST (10:30pm for the rest of you).
To quote from "Christmas Story" where the Dad reads the telegram, "Tonight tonight tonight Hot Damn It's Coming TONIGHT!":hihi:

Tomorrow, "DISASSEMBLE!"

Yeah, we've watched far too many movies in this house over the years.

Welcome to the site, Glad you made it and you have got to start a build thread outlining your work for the appreciation of all here.

You, your dad and brother(s) are welcome here anytime. Drop on by if you like. I've a 'lovely parting gift' for your truck and it would save me a trip to the post office. Call or Text me.

Yesterday's Picture with Fluid Dampener installed, soft plugs and dropped into the shipping crate.
View attachment 36945

Ted has decided to push on through instead of R.O.N. in Idaho, so he'll be here in about two hours; 2230hrs MST (10:30pm for the rest of you).
To quote from "Christmas Story" where the Dad reads the telegram, "Tonight tonight tonight Hot Damn It's Coming TONIGHT!":hihi:

Tomorrow, "DISASSEMBLE!"

Yeah, we've watched far too many movies in this house over the years.

Its looking great.
ill drop you a line for sure. Sounds like you wont be getting much sleep tonight.

635 is here, safe and sound at 2200hrs. Unloading and such start later in the morning. Wahoo.
Bill said he took lots of pictures with the camera I left up there for them to document things with. So, when we get the chance to do so, I'll get some of the assembly shots up with explaination of parts.
I do know that the Bosch HO injectors are brand new but Bill took them to a builder he uses and had them gone through, balance to the pressures at 2400 and matched to the 'inth' degree. The guy initially protested about how much the time would cost but Bill said, "I don't care. I want these perfect!"
I was told which piston rings he used but as I hadn't heard of them before and I'm smoked I can't remember. Keystone gas pressure sealed something or another. I just know I'll be driving like an overloaded N/A for a couple thousand miles with a wooden block under the accelerator pedal to ensure I don't load the motor more than needed to get it going. I'm game.

As for the light at the end of the tunnel, thats just me and the silly grin on my face.

635 is here, safe and sound at 2200hrs. Unloading and such start later in the morning. Wahoo.
Bill said he took lots of pictures with the camera I left up there for them to document things with. So, when we get the chance to do so, I'll get some of the assembly shots up with explaination of parts.
I do know that the Bosch HO injectors are brand new but Bill took them to a builder he uses and had them gone through, balance to the pressures at 2400 and matched to the 'inth' degree. The guy initially protested about how much the time would cost but Bill said, "I don't care. I want these perfect!"
I was told which piston rings he used but as I hadn't heard of them before and I'm smoked I can't remember. Keystone gas pressure sealed something or another. I just know I'll be driving like an overloaded N/A for a couple thousand miles with a wooden block under the accelerator pedal to ensure I don't load the motor more than needed to get it going. I'm game.

As for the light at the end of the tunnel, thats just me and the silly grin on my face.

Glad to hear it made it safe. Sounds like Bill to make sure everything is perfect. Keep us posted on your progress. Can't wait to see some pictures. Might have to cruise down Saturday to check it out

Glad to hear it made it safe. Sounds like Bill to make sure everything is perfect. Keep us posted on your progress. Can't wait to see some pictures. Might have to cruise down Saturday to check it out
Please do come by, meet Ted, talk trucks, etc. More the merrier.

Back