• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Codes. Truck won’t move

When you changed the terminals in the connector, did you crimp them or solder them, did you change all the terminals or some?
Every terminal was changed along with the plastic plug going into the trans

All terminals were crimped with the proper terminals and crimper tool

I’m wondering if I should do two new wires from TCM connector to trans

Also the ground wire that operates for TCM. Should we just put a new fresh ground to rule that out

Two need wires from 22 and 23 to the new external harness plug

Cleared the codes

Truck goes in reverse and stays in reverse. No signs of slipping in and out. Can even tourque up the engine and nothing trips.

Go to drive. There’s no line under D
It stays in D for about 15 second then looses drive

Gear 3.2.1 line under the corresponding gear. Shifts into gear and about 15 seconds looses gear and indicator starts flashes

Is there a chance this solenoid is bad right right from XDP diesel’s.

Does anyone have a diagram or no we’re the ground for the TCM goes. I would like to change that to.

Last edited:
well with no codes. I would button it all up enough so that you can drive it through the neighbor hood and see how it shifts. I know your first post you said you had purchased it thinking it needed a trans. I'm assuming you have not driven it under it's own power without the issues you've faced up until now? just make sure the fluid is topped off, some trans can be finicky when fluid levels aren't up to the full line even if it's just 1/2 a quart low!

Maybe even lift the wheels off the ground and roll them through the gears to see if it shifts without codes first so you don't have to have it towed home from a block or two away!

well with no codes. I would button it all up enough so that you can drive it through the neighbor hood and see how it shifts. I know your first post you said you had purchased it thinking it needed a trans. I'm assuming you have not driven it under it's own power without the issues you've faced up until now? just make sure the fluid is topped off, some trans can be finicky when fluid levels aren't up to the full line even if it's just 1/2 a quart low!

Maybe even lift the wheels off the ground and roll them through the gears to see if it shifts without codes first so you don't have to have it towed home from a block or two away!
When I bought it I was able to drive it into the driveway on its on power off the tow truck.

Tomorrow im going to check the driveshaft play in the slip yoke to see if that’s an issue for the clunking sound.

Also good point on jacking it up and going through the gears first.

I don’t want to have to put a 5 ton truck on a tow truck again (pricey)

Took the donor computer out that was out of a 01 and put the original back in
That co

Everything seems operational in the drive way with absolutely no codes.

The only thing I notice is the shifts from p to reverse and to drive sounds like it double engages

That was your problem. Allison made valve body changes is 04. So a 01 TCM wont work in you 05 truck. Wish I would have know that earlier, could have saved you alot of time....

something to consider. if that donor TCM from the 01 is of no use, and it's not one that takes the prom chip like the old OBD1 systems. you might see if it can be re-flashed for your truck and even add a tune for some advanced shifting points for better towing. then keep your factory one as a fail safe spare. I'm sure some of the guys here can recommend a good person who can do that for you.

Back