• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Working on the 93......

You could crack injector lines to see what cylinder is giving you all the white smoke. Maybe borrowing a known good compression tester would help. A borescope shoved in through an open intake valve is the only other time saver I can think of. If you see valve dents in the piston the valve(s) are bent period.

At this point the head really needs to come off because other than the valve locking up in the guide - it ate something. Locked up valve also needs head off service. An inspection of the turbo - BOTH WHEELS is in order as debris can/will bounce back into the intake and migrate to other cylinders.

here's the latest:
removed GP # 7 and 5. cranked, pressure from both.
removed DS VC again, valves all operate. here's a 9 sec hi-def vid(never mind the diesel spraying on the rockers, oil change soon):
the noise is that both GP's were still out.
yes WW, head(s) needs to come off....

been worked on this SOB for a few hours now. wish i had the money to drop in a 4BT. really tired of it.
will give it a crank in the morning.

here's the latest. put turbo on, not tight, EGR ports plugged, intake off:
that's raw fuel. watch the smoke rings:

Only other thought is an injector stuck wide open, but, my smoke would clear with sticking injectors after being a real starter busting b*tch to start.

IMO you have a hole in a piston and/or bent/cracked with a chunk missing valve.

Look for 6.2 military take out engines. 6.2's are cheap as everyone wants a 6.5 even though a 6.5 is just a punched out 6.2. Heads are the only thing that matter as a major detail for the precups (and injector angle annoyance) esp. as you are running an ATT. Look for a 599 block in the 6.2 flavor for compatible heads and swap precups.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVW
Wes has everything i need. even a complete engine. it's just a b*#ch to do by myself, in the driveway, in the cold, Christmas looming, 2 kids and while looking for employment. .

was looking over the engine bay and noticed a bolt was missing from IP on timing gear. rotated engine and had 2 missing. one left was real loose. appears 2 of them are now down below. didn't use thread locker on them yet because i am still sorting out the issues. i know they were around 20 ft lbs when i put them in.
what would YOU do and what should I do?

Park it till the weather warms up. o_O

With luck you can fish the bolts out with the timing cover removed. You are assuming they went all the way down to the pan rather than anywhere including hung up or impacted in (or through) the timing gear cover. Gives you an opportunity to verify timing marks. I am after all a "Bad Example" of loosing a worm clamp: Showed up a week later pounded into a head/piston and stuck in a bent valve. Took 8 NOS slugs and 2 heads to get back on the road.

waiting on a few parts but i decided to work on the intake to get a better seal with the silicone. ground down the connections to make a lip.easy job but took a while to do.

seems like a better surface instead of a flat smooth one. only time will tell.

Couple options also.
Get some aqua net hair spray. Spray the rubber boot and slip it on, it helps slip on the tight fit, and works like a light glue. An old bicycle handle grip trick.

On a semi years ago there was a oddball made boot that kept blowing off. I used permatex to get it to seal. I just put on a light coat, clamped it down and let it cure for a day.

Back