• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Got one of these in the mail today.
Along with an extra sender unit.
Going to run the single fuel pressure gauge and two sender unit systems.
Now I’ll need to figure what switch and how to hook it all together so that it all functions perfectly the furst try. 😹
IMG_9944.jpeg
But not right away.
I’ll be working on popping the enjun out if the hole before too long.

The switch:
Choose if you want a switch or button.
What you need is: Single pole, double throw. (SPDT).
The most common one would be a switch that looks like this:

IMG_0901.png

You would normally run the wire to the gauge-
You hook one sending unit to one end screw. Hook the other sending unit to the other end screw. The screw in the middle hooks to the gauge.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks to everyone who’ve offered their assistance in sorting out the starter issue. . Mechanic sorted it all out in no time and I’m smacking my head repeatedly…. Yes, it was the exciter wire but it wasn’t…I put the exciter wire on the incorrect stud. Oh well, this is why we don't have nice things. On the road in about a half an hour to go see Bill. Confidences is restored.

Big thanks to BigT for support, lodging, meals, transport and adult supervision.

image000000.jpeg

Certainly can’t beat the views here either.
IMG_9400.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up my block today. Notice the porosity on one side of the crack. If number 4 main web on the passenger side is the most common place these let go, my bet is on poor cast quality. 2006 Optimizer. This is the only crack and it wasn't visible until after hot tanking and magnaflux.

Attachments

• IMG_20240702_181902499.jpg
    IMG_20240702_181902499.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks to everyone who’ve offered their assistance in sorting out the starter issue. . Mechanic sorted it all out in no time and I’m smacking my head repeatedly…. Yes, it was the exciter wire but it wasn’t…I put the exciter wire on the incorrect stud. Oh well, this is why we don't have nice things. On the road in about a half an hour to go see Bill. Confidences is restored.

Big thanks to BigT for support, lodging, meals, transport and adult supervision.

View attachment 88451

Certainly can’t beat the views here either.
View attachment 88452
It was fun to finally get Paveltolz and his wife to our Montana home. I know he was stressing over his truck, but I also know the beautiful surroundings had a calming effect. My local mechanic is very good and reasonable. I hope to have Paveltolz back up in August to help with the new Optimizer installation.

It’s easy for hummer owners to justify the powermaster. Their stock insane starter is over a grand. Weighs more than two normal delco starters. So the complaint of what if it fails gets squashed by buying a spare and put in the offroad parts box. Not that they often fail but guys like me who stabs them rebar on top of a cliff people use as a winch anchor… haha. Really not being sealed waterproof is their common concern why a spare gets carried- crossing rivers and such.

I really can’t think carrying a spare starter in a regular truck makes much sense.

Also might verify the purple wire is on the correct terminal
You called it Brother. I’m sorry I missed your post. But, we’d already towed it to Wayne’s (the mechanic).
When we walked in this morning to pick it up he had this grin on his face and I was already planning on asking, ‘so what stupid little thing did I miss?” So I just went with it as rehearsed. I knew in my heart of hearts I’d missed something simple.
He noted that the correct terminal was marked with yellow paint. I took that as a ‘do not mess with this or else’ instead but, would have tried it on your advice. Every other starter I’ve put in had a little tag, “Hey Dipstick, Use this one.”
Oh well, It got me an extra day at BigT’s and I used my $5 stash to cover the repair. Well worth it.

@Paveltolz @Big T
So the first starter did fail, then wrong terminal on installing the replacement?
Had to have been a bad starter because the exciter wire was correctly attached to it.
The question I have now is how the $%^&* did a 3/8” vs. M-10 Starter bolt get used in one of the holes?

Checking placement, driver fitment, and such. Tomorrow confirming drive shaft balance on this one. Still have to outsource Roll Cage updates, parachute pushbar combo and fire suppression system. Who knows, we may make it to World Finals in September.
image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpegIMG_9412.jpeg

For personal rigs, corrected one of the pins in my ECM Harness, upgrading my tune’s fuel parameters, 3rd gear torque converter lock up and shift points and changing rear diff gear oil. Pop testing BigT’s injectors.

Checking placement, driver fitment, and such. Tomorrow confirming drive shaft balance on this one. Still have to outsource Roll Cage updates, parachute pushbar combo and fire suppression system. Who knows, we may make it to World Finals in September.
View attachment 88473
View attachment 88475View attachment 88474

For personal rigs, corrected one of the pins in my ECM Harness, upgrading my tune’s fuel parameters, 3rd gear torque converter lock up and shift points and changing rear diff gear oil. Pop testing BigT’s injectors.
Did I just miss something going way over my brain or is this the same rig you drove out to BigT's with? I had no idea you raced.

Did I just miss something going way over my brain or is this the same rig you drove out to BigT's with? I had no idea you raced.
Two different trucks. Amigo and I don’t drive the Land Speed Racer (LSR). I do help out here and there with parts, time, labor, sounding board, wrench turning etc. it, I’m 14.5 hrs of driving away from where it’s garaged so, helping throw a buck or two at it is about all I can do which sucks cause I’d like to be turning wrenches more too.

Last edited:
Back