• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Her surgeon showed her the complete map of the areas he ablated. It was some 40 to 50 spots. She felt like it would be a recurring scenario, so she opted for the permanence of a pacemaker. I have little say in this, but the decision is surprising. Given what I’ve gone through with my foot, I am not a believer in modern medicine.
It’s like a mechanic- some great, some not, some complete hacks.
Then like a truck, some have enough internal problems that great mechanics have a hard time, some just go forever even being mistreated.

It’s like a mechanic- some great, some not, some complete hacks.
Then like a truck, some have enough internal problems that great mechanics have a hard time, some just go forever even being mistreated.
Well I got the Burb home. Had to use a commercial service and will seek reimbursement from AAA who could never get their act together. After I got home, I put back the outer main entrance door that I had been working on and then just crawled into bed and went to sleep.

Tomorrow will be a long day for both of us with April’s procedure appointment at 9:00 am. Bunch of cardio electrical work before they start the actual surgical procedure.

They were upgraded to braided stainless, but could be possible. It was really leaking down from the center front of the engine, whereas the oil cooler lines are off to the driver’s side.
Thats where my truck is leaking from too.
Quite bad, not as bad as Burb though.
Engine is coming out real soon. Probably right after the fourth, maybe before.
New windshield glass for the 88 Buick and the truck will be here tomorrow.
I need to contact another practicing mechanic that said he would help me.
See if he wants to do the glass before the weekend and, get a plan together for pulling that engine.
I do have a spare stand but it is out on loan doing a transmission job. They’ve had that for about three months. I’ll most lilely call that stand back in.
PO had already installed made up hydraulic hoses for the cooler so I’ll also getta new setta them things made up too.
The pan will come off. If there are no visible web cracks to the mains, then a partial OH will be in store with gapless rings too.
If the main webs are cracked then probably scorch that card for a new engine.
Time will tell.

Well I got the Burb home. Had to use a commercial service and will seek reimbursement from AAA who could never get their act together. After I got home, I put back the outer main entrance door that I had been working on and then just crawled into bed and went to sleep.

Tomorrow will be a long day for both of us with April’s procedure appointment at 9:00 am. Bunch of cardio electrical work before they start the actual surgical procedure.

We wish April a fast recovery from her procedure.

Took two of my grand daughters for a joy ride. Got ice cream, washed the truck and cleaned the ice cream melting from the interior. They are 7 and 11 years old, love to ‘help Opa fix the truck’ and go for ‘test drives’ afterwards. They wave at everyone cause the truck is so cool and they want people to see them in it. Honestly, it cracks me up. I love being a grandfather / Opa.
My daughter loves working on stuff, figuring it out, doing things herself. Her car’s stereo was fritzing so she researched and found a new head unit to upgrade it, did her homework on how to deconstruct the dash, get it out, and do the install with me. She downloaded the manuals for the car, found the pin-out assignments to convert the old harness to the new one and spliced it all together. She’s a nail tech and to do all that without breaking her fashionably long nails was inspiring.
IMG_9360.jpeg

After we confirmed it all was in order, she and my oldest grand daughter did the final install and replaced the dash. She’s a great mom and I’m so blessed.

Wishing all the best on her procedure. keep us posted how it all goes, I'm sure she will bounce back stronger and ready for adventures!

Wishing all the best on her procedure. keep us posted how it all goes, I'm sure she will bounce back stronger and ready for adventures!
She came through it fine. She’s awake coming out of anesthesia and reading in the picture. I got her at home. She ate dinner, then went to bed.

IMG_3803.jpeg

She still has the AFIB as they need to turn off the AV node in the heart with an ablation procedure. The AV node is the source of the electrical issues causing the AFIB. They gave her the option of doing both today, but she declined as there is a slightly higher risk with the pacemaker and its wires not healed in place. So they will do the ablation procedure the second week of August. It is a minor procedure. Turning off the AV node with the ablation hands that portion of the heart electrical over to the pacemaker. Once done, there is no going back.

Working on the ‘99 pulling the injectors to get them tested. Paveltolz is stopping by in the am eventually on his way to Bill Heath and he will take the injectors to have them tested. I could go back and search posts to see when I put them in, but it was in the last 2 or 3 years and about 12K miles. Same with the water pump. Just trying ID which parts can go over onto the new one. Like I just replaced the engine mounts two years ago with Energy Suspension black urethane, so those are still good.

While under the truck removing the down pipe, based on the plume of oil it does look like an oil cooler line failed. The pumpkin on the front differential is coated 360 in oil. I haven’t inspected over there.

Having my own drama. The 2014 ghost of 'Oh S!!!t' revisited.
IMG_9367.jpg

Half-shaft backed out of the "cup" thing attaching to the differential. Not my first rodeo, unfortunately and I'm fully flummoxed as i thought I had this sago sorted out years ago. Just happy it didn't take out the front differential like as happened a couple of times before. Racking my brain since it was originally thought to be the lift but, after trial and error, removed the lift all together while adding a couple of 1/4" to each side.

w/o consulting an old thread where I went over this stuff ad nauseum (don't worry, I'll do some research and start a new thread in the drivetrain section), I reasoned out there's one consistency and I can't just can't explain it, and that is it seems to happen on tight right-hand turns. This time it was a rattle sound that happened as I was braking on a bumpy dirt road and making a tight right turn, rattle rattle rattle. Speed was maybe 25-30 when I started braking so the front end was compressed whereas the first time this happened I was going over a speed bump and the 'BANG' happend right after being 'unweighted' and starting to come down/compress. I can check my dash cam recording to confirm speeds and such. Had the mic muted so no sounds.

BigT pointed out during his visit a few weeks ago that I don't have these bump stops on my truck.
IMG_9368.jpg
Photo credit to the very confused guy minding his own business at WalMart sitting in his GMT-400 K1500 when out of the setting sun I ask if I can take the automotive equivalent of 'upskirt' pics of his trucks suspension....

Anyway, I was at my cousin's place and he had the 36mm socket required to assault the axel nut so I pulled the half-shaft out of the hub, removed the busted assembly (leaving the cup attached to the diff for now) and inserted a shaftless 'hub-stub' I carry around for bad luck and 'just such an emergency.' 1/2 ton hubs need the compression to keep the bearings happy or you'll go 10' and need a new hub. Another lesson learned the hard way and why I carry the stub. Anyhoo, I'll just continue the road trip without departing pavement or attempting a 'fun' road like last night.
I did pick up a 36mm impact socket for my road kit and a new half-shaft so when I stop in on Bill for a couple of days I can talk with the lads at the Les Schwab up the street and, maybe get a solution sorted out.

Back