• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Update on Plews-Edelmann steering box

Tinker

Reaction score
I installed a Plews-Edelmann steering box a couple of years ago to replace the sloppy and leaking factory unit. I've put somewhere around 10k mi on this box since installing and @ak diesel driver had some questions, so I thought I'd write up a quick post.

The box itself has performed well for me. I've had no leaking, the outside remains completely dry, and the box does not have any play. Overall, I'm very pleased. The unit removed a good amount of slop from my steering. What remained was from the rag joint and the tall bias ply tires (7.5x16), which are a little tipsy on asphalt.

I also just replaced the steering shaft with a u-joint unit from Cunningham Machine (https://cunninghammachine.com/1988-1994-chevrolet-gmc-truck-steering-shaft/). I'm mostly pleased with that shaft. It didn't require any modification (I've heard that the Borgeson unit requires some cutting, though that may have changed) and was about $100 cheaper than the other options. My only complaint about this unit is in the design of the fastening hardware. They chose to use a set screw instead of a pinch bolt at the box end and 2 set screws instead of a shouldered through-bolt/nut at the steering wheel end. I'll be keeping an eye on those for wear and loosening.

Between this and the Edelmann box, my steering is now pretty solid.

IMG_20240501_181120.jpg

@Tinker Which box was this? I had been looking at the one listed on RA, I believe their part number was 3000 iirc. I noticed their price is about half what other sites sell them at.

I need to scrounge up and buy one for my 95.

@Tinker Which box was this? I had been looking at the one listed on RA, I believe their part number was 3000 iirc. I noticed their price is about half what other sites sell them at.

I need to scrounge up and buy one for my 95.
I bought the 3000 from RA in 2022. It's only a little more now than what I paid for it.

I think it was significantly cheaper at RA then, too. But the pump was relatively new to the market at the time and there was some confusion about which part number was correct for the 2500. The 3000 is the large bore version.

I just purchased the Borgeson upper and lower steering shafts for my ‘99. I had a lower steering shaft wear out and basically fail on me after just 3+ years. That vendor is no longer making them and now we know why.

The rag joint on my 93 is sloppy and in need of some TLC. I have a good one I took out of my 95 but I found it was different. on the 93 there is another joint of some sort further up on the column under the hood, not sure what it's about, but on the 95 there is only a slip fit tubing with a bolt through to attach the shaft.

What is this other joint on the 93?

The rag joint on my 93 is sloppy and in need of some TLC. I have a good one I took out of my 95 but I found it was different. on the 93 there is another joint of some sort further up on the column under the hood, not sure what it's about, but on the 95 there is only a slip fit tubing with a bolt through to attach the shaft.

What is this other joint on the 93?
I also ordered a Borgeson steering shaft for the ‘94. I had previously replaced the actual rag joint using a kit purchased from RockAuto for like $27. Wasn’t a hard job and the steering is perfectly acceptable, or much better than the ‘99 is currently. That said, I was in a spendy mode and threw a Borgeson in for the ‘94.

I also ordered a Borgeson steering shaft for the ‘94. I had previously replaced the actual rag joint using a kit purchased from RockAuto for like $27. Wasn’t a hard job and the steering is perfectly acceptable, or much better than the ‘99 is currently. That said, I was in a spendy mode and threw a Borgeson in for the ‘94.

That's a pretty good price. I had seen mostly $250ish for Borgeson units for a 94, but I didn't look that hard. I paid $175 for the Cunningham one.

I guess the difference on my two trucks is the 93 would use the two joints where the 95 only has one. here is what the two factory ones look like

1715901923388.png

1715901933685.png

I would have thought those would last forever as long as they didn't get rusted up from sitting.
It's not like it's spinning like a cv joint.

It should last just as many revolutions
I put that steering shaft in September 2021 (post #1286):

Clearly did not last. Now I know what the clunking sound was when I turned the wheels full in either direction. At least the Borgeson unit I just installed has a 5 year warranty.

So the ujoint failed, not the shaft. Ok.
Yes- normally a ujoint not getting lubed there would run for half dozen years before giving up in steering shafts. Unjoint manufacturer most likely had a assembly line error in bearing production or something.

Like when sealed ujoints fail in pickups during warranty period- it happens but usually in a batch from bad needle bearings.

Can you see the new one? Is a brand of that ujoint visible? Is it greaseable? To bad the first one wasn’t- I’m sure it would have made it longer than the truck.

Back