• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

truck shutting off

PMD only controls the fuel solenoid of the IP has nothing to do at all with the lift pump & glows, problem is nobody more qualified than yourself with help of folks here to work on the 6.5 anymore, GM techs will charge you big $$$ for the things we are working through with you,

Few dealerships aka Stealerships have a good Diesel tech on staff and unless they have been around a long time all they know is the Dmax Diesel, and apples to oranges differences between the two setups

Yeah i didnt think the pmd did any of that, ive been doing some reading about this and do you think it could be the oil pressure switch? i dont know if it controls the glow plugs but ive heard it controls the lift pump, other then that im still kinda lost on the whole deal.

Also the ground that comes from where the tranny dip stick is, It goes down behind the motor and grounds to the frame do you think that maybe when its getting hot back there its shorting out or somthing, if so what would be the best way to get that out cuz u cant get the dip stick tube to move up the bolt at all, i guess i could cut it to get it out.....

Also would a bad water temp sensor make it shut down? cuz im still waiting for my new one to come in, just trying to rule everything out so i can get closer to the problem.

Heads up to everyone if u need a new injection pump you can get a brand new one at orellys for $300 and a rebuilt one for $150 just found that out today

Better double check that price $300 for mechanical IP maybe, but for a DS4??? sounds too good to be true, tell you what you have my # give me a call tomorrow. OPS is not solo lift pump control on a OBD-II lift pump and has nothing to do with glow control, so I don't suspect that is the problem, now you could be sucking air and shutting down, when it cuts off does it start right up ?

Gnds don't necessarily short out they make the circuit path complete & are designed to be path to gnd, now you could have a break in the harness or loose connection losing the gnd path, speaking of gnds, thought just occurred, where is your FSD ground connected?

Gnds don't short out they make the circuit path complete, are designed to be shorted to gnd, now you could have a break in the harness or loose connection losing the gnd path, speaking of gnds, thought just occurred, where is your FSD ground connected?

Im not real sure where its connected, I will give you a call tomorrow.

UPDATE Truck is still stalling, right now i am charging the battres and then doing a load test, If they check out to be bad im going to buy 2 new battres, if its still stalling im going to text the lift pump with a guage and see if it drops in pressure at all, and if its fine im not real sure where to go from there maybe fuel shut off solenoid or ing switch.

Ive been talking to Tim over the phone and his been a big help, I think if i have to buy 2 new battres and it still stalls im going to have to park the truck and take this trip with my van and work on the truck when i get some more cash flow......

DK I think the van for the trip might by a good idea even if we do get issues worked out, the vehicle is too new to you to go on an extended trip, as we are finding out little by little maintenance was not a priority for the prior owners, and possibly reason it was for sale when you bought it were the issues we are working through right now.

My reservations are that possibly there are other "hidden gems" to be worked out, so until you have some time behind the wheel of this I would not recommend you hit the road with the family in this, especially if going to Colorado where a broke down truck in winter mountains could be very unpleasant

DK I think the van for the trip might by a good idea even if we do get issues worked out, the vehicle is too new to you to go on an extended trip, as we are finding out little by little maintenance was not a priority for the prior owners, and possibly reason it was for sale when you bought it were the issues we are working through right now.

My reservations are that possibly there are other "hidden gems" to be worked out, so until you have some time behind the wheel of this I would not recommend you hit the road with the family in this, especially if going to Colorado where a broke down truck in winter mountains could be very unpleasant

Yeah im thinking the same thing i know my astro will make it just fine but my wife hates it cuz its a cargo van and only 2 seats but i told her i would put a bed back there for her and a pee bucket lol but shes not going for it lol.

I got the battres back and one tested bad so i got a new one, i know i know i should of got 2 but i cant spend $200 bucks right now, Drove the truck home from the auto parts store she ran super good seemed to have alot more balls when i got on it, it would push me back in the seat like it never did before, i drove for about 20 mins and it didnt cut off i got home and let it seat in the drive way running for alittle bit and it didnt shut down, I will drive the truck tomorrow to the gym and see if she dies, if so i will call you tomorrow tim and we can go from there, i did not get that gauge yet cuz they were out of stock so maybe they will have it by tomorrow....

While I'm not having the exact same issues as you, I figure it can't hurt to suggest that maybe the fuel shutoff solenoid is acting up?

I have a thread here where my truck shuts off after about 20-30seconds after first cold start. The FSS was suggested amongst other things as that guy was having the same issue as me.

Maybe it's failing a slightly different way for you?? I'm probably wrong but just throwing it out there just in case

One reoccurring problem I've had is poor contact with the fsos fuse. With the truck running try wiggling that fuse, mine would either stutter or shut off. I had to bend the fuse spades to get good contact.

While I'm not having the exact same issues as you, I figure it can't hurt to suggest that maybe the fuel shutoff solenoid is acting up?

I have a thread here where my truck shuts off after about 20-30seconds after first cold start. The FSS was suggested amongst other things as that guy was having the same issue as me.

Maybe it's failing a slightly different way for you?? I'm probably wrong but just throwing it out there just in case

That was one of the topics we discussed, he said lift was sounding slow when it quit this afternoon when we were talking, so I asked if he had done battery load check, he hadn't had 1 bad batt it turns out, I had him think about an alternator check while at part store I don't know how he made out with alternator check out.

Low volts dropping out from bad batt/gnd can send you in circles, as it drops volts to everything, FSD, FSOS, PCM, Lift etc. we decided to drop back to square 1 and establish good voltage before trying lots of things at 1 time.

He stalled out on way to the part store this afternoon, I had him unplug new FSD on bumper & plug it back in then go for a start attempt with parking brake on which keeps DTRLs off in-between cranks for just a little more trons to be had, it fired up and he was able to make it to the part store for batt charge, test and 1 batt replacement, we'll see tomorrow how he makes out over night.

Im scared to say it but i think shes fixed i drove the truck to the gym and home then i hooked my trailer up and had to go mow a yard and she ran like a top, i cant believe a batt fixed it, i will be driving the truck again tomorrow to the gym and hopfully she runs good again, i guess that will be the last test.

thanks for everyone helping, Tim if you dont mind im saving your number in my phone lol

Im scared to say it but i think shes fixed i drove the truck to the gym and home then i hooked my trailer up and had to go mow a yard and she ran like a top, i cant believe a batt fixed it, i will be driving the truck again tomorrow to the gym and hopfully she runs good again, i guess that will be the last test.

thanks for everyone helping, Tim if you dont mind im saving your number in my phone lol

How'd it do today ?

did good went to the gym then had to go get a new phone and today i got my trailer hooked up and we have to drive a hour and 1/2 to mow a yard so this will be the real test

A Battery.....Amazing!

Good luck.........and to the "Doctor," You never cease to amaze me!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
A Battery.....Amazing!

Good luck.........and to the "Doctor," You never cease to amaze me!:thumbsup:

Thanks Louis,

This is 2nd one I've "fixed" remotely this year with a battery replacement, another member that has me programmed into on his phone memory :) had same issue we went through same diagnostics as above.

He had a "suspect" battery all along, and when we finally got to the end of things to try I told him "dude you gotta get a new battery, you know it's not holding the charge properly" VIOLA that was problem all along.

So my mantra now; especially with a hard start/no start/failing to stay running vehicle that happens to "have issues" with onset of major weather change hot or cold on a previously "fine" running vehicle:

check batts (with load cell) & GNDS before moving past GO in your diagnostics.

Stands to reason IMO with puter controlled vehicles with sensors operating at 0-5Vdc that don't get the trons they expect to see, they are going to rebel & ergo have start and operability issues.

I've had similar instances in the gas turbine world I live in where a power supply isn't providing required volts to the control system and oddball errors happen that defy logic of what is happening making it darn difficult to figure it out.

Hey DK I don't recall seeing it did you have the Alt tested ?

haha funny you asked i didnt YET i was going to tomorrow, and on the way to the job about 30 mins into the drive the truck shut off, not fun i was pulling the trailer with 2 mowers and there was a semi behind me lol but i got her over and waited 2 mins and got back on the road, drove for about 30 mins again the truck shut off, after the 3rd shut off i tryed keeping it at or over 70mph and it ran great i got to the job mowed the yard one of the worse yards ive ever did before, but anyways i got back in the truck and headed home and i kep it 70 or over and at low speeds i would shift into 3rd to keep the RPMs up and it didnt cut off all the way home and it ran great it had tons of power i could pass people like there was no trailer at all.

So i guess the alt is working but not good only at higher rpms so ill have it checked tomorrow right now im beat

Back