• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

truck shutting off

was messing with the truck today drained some fuel into a clear cup and it looks nice n clean no water, I let it idle to see if it was going to shut off again, and it did and i tryed starting it right back up, found out its not running the glow plugs and i cant hear the lift pump running but as soon as i got it started i tryed turning it off and starting it and the glow plugs came on and i could hear the pump. i know the pump is working cuz it drains out of that little T could it be a wire somwhere that i could check, i also check all the grounds and they are tight i even tryed tighting them more

It could be the ign. switch. Do you lose the instruments when it stalls?

maybe all it says when it quits is check gauges, service engine soon, and i think thats it, the service engine soon light goes right off but the check gauges stays on till it starts back up. I did notice that the fuel gauge went crazy the last time i drove it, i backed it out of the drive way and the fuel gauge went nuts, than after like 5sec it was fine.

maybe all it says when it quits is check gauges, service engine soon, and i think thats it, the service engine soon light goes right off but the check gauges stays on till it starts back up. I did notice that the fuel gauge went crazy the last time i drove it, i backed it out of the drive way and the fuel gauge went nuts, than after like 5sec it was fine.

I've never had ign. switch problems but from what I have read everything goes black more or less. Probably isn't the switch, just throwing that in the mix.

I can't remember and recently it was asked, how are the grounds? Not just the battery grounds. There are a lot of straps in the engine compartment and some under the dash.

oh ok i didnt know there was more grounds could you point me in the right direction to finding all the grounds, And i looked up the swich and its only like 20 bucks so i guess ill go buy one and see what it does.

Are you convinced this is not a PMD issue?

Your reply indicated that the symptoms changed after you tried the other PMD, right?

I think you need to sit on yr wallet until you are 100% sure this is not a PMD issue...it sure has all the PMD symptoms IME & IMHO.

Well i think its fixed i found that ground you were talking about and all the grounds were on 1 bolt so i moved them cleaned them and tighted them down and started the truck and let it run for about 10 mins and she didnt shut down and before it was like 5 mins, i will know for sure if shes ok when i go to the gym in the morning, thanks tim for the help can i send you a gift basket or somthing lol and everyone that helped thanks also i would send a gift basket to everyone but this truck is making me poor lol

Also i got a brand new PMD out of the deal for nothing so im going to throw that one on and send the ones that on there back to them lol

Ill let u know if she shuts down tomorrow again thanks to everyone that helped

bad news she cut off on me once going to the gym and once coming back, with this trip coming up im starting to think selling this thing is going to be my best shot but i really like the truck i mean it runs great when its RUNNING i guess ill check the grounds again maybe they worked lose again......

It may be the pmd extension cable, there have been a lot of those failing lately. Or it might still be the pmd. The grounds were a good start, they need to be cleaned up anyhow.

I just have a PMD failed on me. I was in denial since the PMD is on a heatsink on the bumper.

It was on Tuesday when it was just cut off in the middle of driving but started right away (good thing).
So yesterday, I checked the batteries with load tester, came out good. All connections are good.
Engine cut off again when I started it and idling. It starts with difficulty after, then I turned it off and won't start.
Put in my spare PMD, started right away. So, my spare is there on the bumper now.

So tried that new PMD that you get and see if it makes a different. Last time something like that happened to me was fuel filter.
So that can be the culprit also.

I just have a PMD failed on me. I was in denial since the PMD is on a heatsink on the bumper.

It was on Tuesday when it was just cut off in the middle of driving but started right away (good thing).
So yesterday, I checked the batteries with load tester, came out good. All connections are good.
Engine cut off again when I started it and idling. It starts with difficulty after, then I turned it off and won't start.
Put in my spare PMD, started right away. So, my spare is there on the bumper now.

So tried that new PMD that you get and see if it makes a different. Last time something like that happened to me was fuel filter.
So that can be the culprit also.

Yeah im going to try that. Today i took off the grounds AGAIN and cleaned them really really good and also put new ends on the 2 that go to the intake manifold, started the truck drove it for about 20 mins and it didnt shut down but i wont really know till i take it some where again. I just dont see it being the PMD cuz the glow plugs would still run and the lift pump would come on, but im going to try putting the new one on just for kicks.

It was kind of scary today cuz it shut down on a corner and the people coming down the road almost hit me, Not fun.

If i cant get it fixed soon i guess im going to break down and take it to somone and let them fix it, even know im saving all my money for this trip coming up.

PMD only controls the fuel solenoid of the IP has nothing to do at all with the lift pump & glows, problem is nobody more qualified than yourself with help of folks here to work on the 6.5 anymore, GM techs will charge you big $$$ for the things we are working through with you,

Few dealerships aka Stealerships have a good Diesel tech on staff and unless they have been around a long time all they know is the Dmax Diesel, and apples to oranges differences between the two setups

Back