• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time for me to join in as well.

Cheap education for what you want next.
Yep, lucked out and got most all of my money back out of it. now it's time to wait and get the one I wanted the first time around. Next trailer will have ducted roof A/C(an absolute MUST have IMO), and enough room for more than 1 person to move around at a time.

This is my recommendation on a RV. Aluminium frame to include the roof trusses and verticle support beams. After working on my camper and those that follow my thread can contest to this. Aluminium siding, it is easier to repair and remove than fiberglass.

There is a camper manufactor out there that has had my attention the last year. I just wish they built a toy hauler a little bigger and I would probably have one. They are called LivinLite. There campers are 100% all aluminium. They are a little primitive but seem to be improving every year. There prices are also relatively cheap for what you are getting.

If you want an older camper that has an aluminium frame check out holiday ramblers. They built some good sturdy older campers.

Well, Ferm is a pretty thorough guy so he probably knows what I'm about to kick in to the discussion already. But I'll throw it out for anyone else who runs across it.

Aluminum siding is easier to remove than fibreglass sides, that is true. Fibreglass sides are made as one sheet. To remove the fibreglass means removing the entire side of the trailer.

:eek:

That being said, if buying new there is nothing wrong with a fibreglass sided trailer. They're easy to clean, don't dent, are quiet in the rain and stand up to the elements very well.

New trailers also have all those nice little bits (ie: tv, slide outs, ducted heat and ac, etc) that everybody wants these days.

Delamination can be an issue with fibreglass, but this usually shows up while the trailer is still under warranty if you know what you're looking for. The bad part is that it usually has to go back to the factory for the side replacement.

The biggest problem with fibreglass sided trailers is water leakage through the joints and seems of the roof membrane. However, if you get up there every spring and/or fall, you can dicor anything that looks like a cracked sealant or exposed joints. This does away with all the problems people moan about with fibreglass sided trailers.

Ours is fibreglass sided, we love it. Bought it new and it's getting on for 4 years old now with no serious issues. I say serious because every trailer manufacturer has problems with their new rigs. It's because of the cost cutting they use in order to maximize a thin profit margin. For example: my facets were leaking, come to find out the entire mechanism was plastic even though it looked like chrome. swapped it out with a quality Moen unit and discovered the pex line wasn't really pex. it was some "almost the same as pex" line that didn't quite fit the normal pex fittings. A quick trip back to the hardware store and pex lines are now throughout the trailer.

It seems every new RV these days are a bit of a "project" in one area or another.

But, no problems with the sides or roof. I do get up there each and every spring and check the roof though.

Cheers.

Definitely won't be new as that is WAY out of our budget. And our next one WILL be a HOLIDAY rambler. I will not get another wood frame trailer either, just wasn't fond of it. And I also would prefer one with an aluminum roof as the rubber membrane just seems to fragile to me(not to mention the wonderful black streaks you get where the water runs off of it). I've got 2 HOLIDAY RAMBLERS that I'm eyeing right now, but may have to wait awhile before I can buy with my hip problems right now.

Definitely won't be new as that is WAY out of our budget. And our next one WILL be a HOLIDAY rambler. I will not get another wood frame trailer either, just wasn't fond of it. And I also would prefer one with an aluminum roof as the rubber membrane just seems to fragile to me(not to mention the wonderful black streaks you get where the water runs off of it). I've got 2 HOLIDAY RAMBLERS that I'm eyeing right now, but may have to wait awhile before I can buy with my hip problems right now.

350 bucks and you're good to go:

http://errington.britishcolumbiaads...-holiday-rambler-31-foot-trailer_2072323.html

:hihi:

Had a rambler 31' to a few years, great traier.

That $350 unit would be a good rough country trailer. You know so when the mountain size rock sticking out rips Off an axle you just drag it to the side of the trail, camp there then leave it for other trail riders or hunters to use.

Back