• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The "restification" of a 98 6.5 TD...

Truck looks real good.

How long have you had it out East now?

Heated spray nozzles do the heaters operate right off the wiper switch.

Truck looks real good.

How long have you had it out East now?

Heated spray nozzles do the heaters operate right off the wiper switch.

Nope. Powered off the heated side mirrors which run off the rear defrost button in the suburban hvac control head i swapped in.

There's also a thermal switch in the circuit that disables them above 0c (may swap to a 5c) so the mirrors will work in summer fogging and not power the wiper nozzles.

The heated nozzles are for winter ice clogging only. Think: water melts over the washer opening and freezes. Happens quite a bit in snowy conditions.

Once it's melted off it's good for the day as i also have a washer fluid heater in the truck. It's sittig overnight that usually freezes it up.

Ie: park it warm, snow is falling, engine heat melts snow, refreezes and next morning...grrr, no squirt!

Vac pump finally got loud enough for me to want to remove it before something bad happened to the serp drive. So I threw the short belt and turbomasters back on it for now and chucked the delphi pump on the workbench.

Wow. It instantly feels like it is moving through molasses and runs an easy 1psi more throughout the rpm range. It definitely gives me the impression MPG is going to drop from my usual 18mpg combined avg.

I'm afraid to even hook up the drive pressure gauge.

I want my "tuned" vac system back! I've got a lot of work into it but it's never been so obvious to me just how much until right now...

Gotta save up some cash to buy a new pump now.......dadgummit!

:(

glad to hear you like the vac system. I like it as well, anytime I can get 12 mpg with a loaded gooseneck with the small-ish OEM turbo, its gotta be doing something right.

I like my vacuum system but like you, when the pump went out i but a non gated banks on. Might go to 3.42 and fix the vac system for (modified) gm4 or 8

Source Unknown

Long time since I've been around.

Just thought I'd bring it full circle and tie it off.

Just bought a 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. 365 hp, 420 lbft. Lariat, Max tow package (holy crap, 11600 lbs on a half ton V6!), Sport Package, 502A option group.

B51956E0-73C5-4FCD-977C-60FC3AB82498_zpsfsfxnmmf.jpg

FF00B2D1-3CD0-4309-A3D8-DC7B3E3DE23B_zps0oi3oevf.jpg

024A09C7-F8C9-4CDB-9A53-AE302E352EE1_zpsecroqmze.jpg

521305A4-93EC-49FA-8685-C2D8D3B07D4D_zpschh2ku3b.jpg

9320A923-DD3B-4B38-B8EC-DBA4DB76B62B_zpshvxjzkbp.jpg

Optioned to the gills. You have to go up to the "Limited" package to get more.

Wasn't interested in anything GM or Dodge. I wanted a Ford again. 6.7 Super Duty was just a bit too much money for my pocket book.

The old GMC?

I'll either sell it off for whatever I can get or I might just pour gas over it, light it on fire and dance naked around the pyre!

Actually, burning it to the ground might be good for my mental health!

LOL!

Ciao gents. Good luck in all you future endeavors.

:)

Last edited:
Good to hear from you again GW.

It too had to stray away from the 6.5L, mine rotted away. Started travelling extensively so I began jumping from truck to truck, buying and trading for a few years.

You staring a build thread on it anywhere?

This truck was intended to be "bought, not built".

It's got the 5/100,000 warranty on it right now so I'm not touching it other than clean and wax. That's the "premium" warranty. 0 deductible and covers everything besides stuff like brake pads, oil changes, coolant, and tires. Even stuff like ball joints and tie rods are covered. I may even kick that out to the 8/200,000 in a few years. Dunno yet. Lots of time to make that decision.

There's nothing I would really do to it anyways other than maybe some 3m clear rock guard, weather tek mats or the like. It's getting a Ford accessories tri-fold hard tonneau cover from the dealer (part of the purchase negotiations).

Like I said: I bought what I wanted, I didn't want to build it.

I want something nice to drive and not a project. I'm too busted up from work ("forced" into early retirement at 51, not complaining - benefits are good enough I don't have to work if I don't want to) to be freezing on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck or lying on a snow covered driveway in -5C trying to fix it. This truck is the last one, as long as it doesn't get wrecked or turns out to be a lemon. Keeping it at least 20 years if i get my way.

This is my project for retirement:

2F3B8301-D23F-41A4-BE9D-29D8D1494829_zpsvhamqkpf.jpg

AD80A978-2465-41EE-B6B3-3E3B0F667B5B_zps1xx2ullo.jpg

1983 Mustang that I bought new in 1983. Originally a V6 auto. Ended high school in it, went to university in it, first marriage in it, daughter from the hospital in it, first divorce in it, etc...

Done or in progress:

Body;
87 GT lower body work, front grafted to 83 nose. Fog light holes will be for brake cooling ducts
87 GT rear "wing" (oem one)
83 GT hood scoop
83 T-Top roof
Assorted rust repairs
Full length subframe connectors with seat tie in
Rocker/jacking rails tied to the subframe connectors

Engine/transmission;
89 302 roller block, stock internals (IE: E7 heads, forged pistons, etc)
Stock cam
Edelbrock Performer RPM II air gap intake
Holley 750, vacuum secondaries
BBK Longtube headers, BBK H pipe, Magnaflow SS cat back exhaust.
1996 V6 T5 (same trq rating as 86-93 v8 T5)
11" clutch and pressure plate

Rear end;
3.73 gears
31 spline Trac lock differential
31 spline axles (Yukon brand, sn95 5 lug)
Mark Williams engineering bearing caps
Aluminum cover

Brakes/spindles/steering
1994 SN95 spindles
2003 PBR twin piston calipers (front)
1997 SN95 Calipers (rear)
1995 SN95 GT master cylinder, booster and prop valve
Stainless steel braided lines
SN95 Steering rack (15:1, improved road feel and power boost)

Suspension- Front:
Modified K member, slid 3/4" forward, engine moved 1.25" back
2003 Cobra lower control arms
Low friction ball joints
2003 Mach 1 springs (600 lb rate)
Camber/caster plates
Bilstein struts

Suspension- Rear:
Bilstein shocks
Maximum Motorsports panhard bar
Maximum Motorsports Torque arm
Maximum Motorsports lower control arms with height adjusters
2003 Mach 1 springs (250 lb rate)

2005 Mustang "Bullitt" rims

Lots of other little bits, but that's the "meat".

Like I said, the car is my retirement "toy". Used for wrenchin', cruising and some autocross style events. Autocross is just for grins and giggles, I have no intentions of being "competitive".

We're kind of looking to sell the travel trailer off, we just don't use it enough. If that happens, I'm going to get a covered car trailer to haul the Mustang around. That way if I break it at an autocross event, I just load it up and head home rather than trying to figure out how I'm going to get home. It can also haul my "VMaxed" Yamaha Venture and FJ1200 when/if we have to move (wife still working).

I may stop by from time to time, but probably few and far between...

Last edited:
That's my type of toy also!

Not to pollute your thread:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/1989-mustang-lx-302-to-351w-swap.37915/

Originally built for the strip, when I decided to drop the 351w in I got hooked on Auto Cross (Spent a few weekends at Watkins Glenn).

I too was looking at a 2013 F150 FX4 Max Tow. Dealer couldn't agree on a fair price in my eyes. Walked into the 2016 Ram EcoDiesel for $2k more than the used F150.

I came out OK on the 2016.

49,500 CAD, which works out to about 37,100 USD.

Ecoboost trucks tend to demand more money than most. They're good engines and I'm amazed they are rated to haul and tow what they are (mine is 17,100 GCWR and 11,700 tow), but the higher pricing is really because of the "hype" built up around the name "EcoBoost".

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. I 100% feel the early retirement for whatever reason from those who want to work. Dad's suffering from Vietnam is a pretty good example of early retirement being grateful for every new day on this side of the grass.

His condition is the #1 reason we sold off the 1995 hot rod suburban. In no condition to open the fuel filter air bleed when run out of fuel.

I would be curious how the engine you dropped in did or if that's the reason you are wanting to use some expensive accelerant on it?

Keep us up to date on your GMC, it would be a shame if all that hard work got burnt to the ground. :) I did like that truck in every way except the auto and the roof antenna. :) one of my favorite colors too!

Enjoy the next chapter in life :)

After the bonfire is over and should you decide to sell-off any 6.5 related goodies that did not get tossed into the blaze, you know what I am interested in (per our E-mail chat) ;)

Currently pulling stuff off the truck.

Will post a for sale thread in probably the next month or so.

some stuff off top of my head:

Heath diesel PCM and turbomaster. Set up for towing and perf. Sold as a package only, will not separate. The PCM will do some funky things with boost if you try to run it with the vacuum boost control.
Stock OBDII PCM
IP optical sensor (NIB)
IP shut off solenoid (NIB)
Water tank for WMI. It's the fiberglass 11 gallon tank I made that bolt to existing holes under the bed sides. Water level indicator, etc.
Lower dash console that I made. Will have a 7" touchscreen, 150W inverter and assorted switches. Will not come with my WMI controller, CB, or the digital fuel pressure gauge.
Ipod/iphone interface for the stock radio. Takes the place of the CD player and controls/charges iphone. Will work with lighting port with a 30 pin to lightning adapter
Spare FSD on it's small cooler mount. It's a stock one, I carried it "just in case". It works as it took me nearly 800 km's and then I installed a Heath Diesel FSD kit.
Spare turbo with the extended tip compressor wheel.
Probably some other odds and sods I'm not thinking of right now.

And I usually don't sell this stuff, but I am considering selling my tuning software/hardware. that won't go cheap. We're talking in the $800-1000 range and will be non-negotiable when I set a price. It's sought after stuff as it's completely "open", meaning no limits on vehicles (or numbers of vehicles) that it can tune (IE: as many as you have definition files for as many times as you want). It's "Real Time OBDII", but it's Tunercats rebranded by Moates. It's also the same software that Westers sells (with some branding changes and a few other tweaks) as their "diesel tuner". Will come with software, hardware, license key and I'll probably throw in the Road Runner "guts kit" that allows you to install it on an LB7 PCM and do real time tuning with it. It will not come with the definition file I bought for my 98 from Westers. You have to buy one for your specific truck anyways and it's only 99 bucks. Gives total access to anything in the PCM; VATS, fueling, timing, boost, transmission, etc. If you know what you are doing, you can get a shocking amount of HP and Tq out of it, beginners are best to stick to small changes. Dyno tuning is recommended if you want to maximize your gains. Lyndon supports those that buy his stuff too.

Same with my car code, might be up for sale. I may keep that as it's useful on other vehicles.

I'm still thinking it over, I hate selling any of my software. But I really never intend to buy another GM product again and that's pretty much all Tunercat deals with.

How to get ahold of me will be posted in the "for sale" thread when it happens.

Last edited:
Truck is gone.

Put it up on Kijiji for 4 grand.

Didn't last 20 minutes. I got around 20 inquiries and one guy called from an hour and a half away. Jumped in his car and left in the dark right away.

Met him 20 mins closer (answered two more phone calls on the way), he gave it a brief look over and then slapped 4 grand cash in my hand. I signed over the title and that was that.

I'm glad it's finally out of my life. Time to close that chapter and move on.....:)

Back