• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

Talked with R&D, I did the correct procedure for it so I should be good.

Downside; no one has offset keys in stock. Summit is showing end of April as the estimated date that they would get one.... So, anyone know of any place that has any, or anyone have any themselves that they want to sell me??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody I know of anymore. That's why I was saying order ahead of time. Most of the time they have it cut to order. But places like summit always does refunds, so you order 2 of each up to 4 degrees. One on cam and one on crank and you can get any combo you need up to 8 degrees, and you are covered no matter what you have to do. Get it set up, check clearances, and ship back the left overs if you know you won't change it.

However when you take the time to mess with it is when you find what works best for your application.

I saw the bushings too. They are cheaper than the key, but I'm not exactly sure how they work? They all say you just have to drill a hole. When I think of a bushing, I think of it sliding over the cam and under the cam gear. But that won't work without machining the cam gear. So I'm assuming that is not how these "bushings" work?

Last edited:
Never mind, I just realized that they are meant to go in the dowel hole to offset the dowel pin. But I don't have a dowel pin, the cam is keyed like the crank. Just has one center hole where it slides over the cam and the bolt goes on there (hence thinking the bushing would have to go between the cam and gear)

2d801a4ff7d50540f78f9661e77461ab.jpg

Never mind, I just realized that they are meant to go in the dowel hole to offset the dowel pin. But I don't have a dowel pin, the cam is keyed like the crank. Just has one center hole where it slides over the cam and the bolt goes on there (hence thinking the bushing would have to go between the cam and gear)

2d801a4ff7d50540f78f9661e77461ab.jpg

Yep, the bushings are meant for applications that use a pin to reference the gear to the cam, like a Small Block Chevy.....and most other gasser engines. So like most things it seems, the normal way of doing things doesn't apply to the 6.5 unfortunately.

I did a little searching myself and I can't find anyone either that has offset keys in stock, so Jegs may be your best bet. I'm sure a competent machine shop could make some for you, but you probably won't be that much further ahead time-wise. I hate when I get delayed by a simple part! Sorry, man.

I ordered from Jegs. Hopefully ship date is somewhat accurate and I can get it within the next couple weeks.

There is no picture of tdc. At tdc the piston actually looks like it sticks out of the block. Whether it actually does or not, I don't know, I didn't measure it.

The first picture is just showing the dial indicator set to zero at zero cam lift. The dial indicator is sitting on the intake lifter. Piston position is irrelevant for that picture.

Here is tdc. Verified by the degree wheel and the dial indicator. Hard to tell if it actually sticks out of the block, but it is close enough that I can't tell by looking at it or feeling it. Putting a straight edge on it indicates that it is almost exactly the same height as the block, maybe .000001" higher lol. Maybe.

b034ad89d3523ce42897803b50843f9d.jpg

f814194aafbb4c66ab67e7a162924622.jpg

9e4a9dcb179e54f3d426742ba967e583.jpg

Any offset in the keyway ? As I recall , the DSG had 4 degrees .

Back