• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at an 07 LBZ

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm looking at an 07 LBZ LT crew cab 4x4 2500 HD and noticed on the carfax report there are two "electrical system serviced" claims with united states warranty corp and one "Body electrical system checked" at a dealer in Deland Fl. Anybody know what these are or is there anything I should be concerned with?

The only other service was the fairly common front hub/bearing replacement - also done at a dealership.

Other than that this truck looks clean with 60k miles on it and factory air box and exhaust. I'm going to lay eyes on it tomorrow and I'm a little concerned that the Allison/Duramax 2500 HD emblem is not present on the passenger door in the pix....carfax does not show it having had any body work. This dealer is asking $29,995 - it's been on the lot for three months so I'm gonna see if they'll take $28,000. They're getting premium $$$ on these used diesels down here.

Thanks
Smitty

LBZ's are king of the hill. Those are the highest rated powerhouses before all the emissions crap got put in later in 07.

A stock LBZ will outrun the majority of cars on the road. A mildly tuned LBZ will ass rape 90% of traffic with license places.

There are no known bugs with LBZ's, other than faulty EGR valves.

They are super quiet and refined. These things do not rattle or wake up the neighborhood. A stock exhaust on a bone stock truck is quieter than a 6 liter or big block.

I'm on my second EGR valve and 3rd intermediate steering shaft.

You shouldn't have any problems. Those are built strong and LBZ's are the clear choice.

i bought a 2006 lbz in december and the report also said it had electrical issues done under waranty,l have put 20,000km with no issues,i purchased a 5ver dry weight of 9000lbs what a joke to pull with this truck,power is unreal compared to my 6.5,you will love the truck and power i have pulled many trailers with many different trucks and i didnt believe it till i tried it myself good luck keim

2 things jump out at me:
1) Who is US warranty corp and why did they work on it instead of the dealer? Unless it was work done recently and he had an extended through them.
2) 3 months is a long time on the lot for an LBZ with 60k. That's like brand new.

What does KBB.com have to say about the price?

You should be fine with an LBZ...

they all have there problems when you start to turn up the power though...

LBZ's = weak Pistons
LB7's& LLY's = weak Rods

early LB7's had head gasket issues and injectors on all LB7's are still an ongoing problem...

We've had a couple members here have head gaskets go on LBZ's and IIRC from a phone call with him Stacks04 said he's replaced more head gaskets on LBZ's than LB7's

If I felt like going into debt again I'd have an LBZ just to get away from the injector issues with the LB7's and to get that 6th gear to eek out a little better MPG's...

2 things jump out at me:
1) Who is US warranty corp and why did they work on it instead of the dealer? Unless it was work done recently and he had an extended through them.
2) 3 months is a long time on the lot for an LBZ with 60k. That's like brand new.

What does KBB.com have to say about the price?

I think us warranty corp is the warranty provider for some poor sap that purchased the extra warranty while sill under bumper to bumper GM warranty - car lots really push those extended warranty's.

Actually, I was mistaken - the dealer purchased the truck at auction about 2 and a half months ago - it was at a GM dealer 6 weeks ago getting a front hub bearing....and by looking at the info, it has been on the lot about 1 month....this is a huge truck dealer specializing in HD, 4x4 diesels - he has 7 '07 chev d'max's and 3 GMC's, 8 '06 d'max's - well, you get the picture - he has a huge inventory.

You should be fine with an LBZ...

they all have there problems when you start to turn up the power though...

LBZ's = weak Pistons
LB7's& LLY's = weak Rods

early LB7's had head gasket issues and injectors on all LB7's are still an ongoing problem...

We've had a couple members here have head gaskets go on LBZ's and IIRC from a phone call with him Stacks04 said he's replaced more head gaskets on LBZ's than LB7's

If I felt like going into debt again I'd have an LBZ just to get away from the injector issues with the LB7's and to get that 6th gear to eek out a little better MPG's...

Yeah, that's what got me started on all this - I brought a huge fiv'er (41' dual tandem, 15,800 lbs dry) back from Texas a month ago for an elderly friend of mine using his '07 3500 dually. 1250 miles one way. Truck is stock except for a bullydog intake and mild (+80ho IIRC) tune. Still has stock exhaust. It pulled like nothing I'd ever driven. The only time I could feel the trailer was the first 10-20 feet when taking off. I still don't know what I was more impressed with, the d-max or the Allison!
Coming across I20 east outta TX - west of Dallas-Fort Worth, it's a little hilly and I had the cruise set on 60, pulled a couple of mild grades that would have made any other tranny at least come out of lock up....this thing never even downshifted - set right on 1600 rpms! Averaged 18 mpg going out empty (running 75mph) and 10.5 loaded on the return trip running 60mph.

If that dealership is up near Sanford, I've been up there before. It's in Seminole County off a main drag. This guy did have a huge inventory and I knew a guy who bought an 04 Powerstroke from him. They will wheel and deal. Its a truck dealership so thats all they deal with.

LBZ puts a big grin :D on your face don't it...? ):h

I still, to this day, have a great feeling when I get behind the wheel of mine...

If that dealership is up near Sanford, I've been up there before. It's in Seminole County off a main drag. This guy did have a huge inventory and I knew a guy who bought an 04 Powerstroke from him. They will wheel and deal. Its a truck dealership so thats all they deal with.

Yup he's in sanford - Gibson's truck world 14 acres of trucks. I looked at the truck today - it's really clean, all stock never had a goose neck or 5'er in it. They wouldn't budge off the 29,995 price..yet. Told em I give 28k - will see. Oh, and the truck has 69k miles - not 60 like I said previously. The guy did give me the grand tour of the service area - all 23 bays and every one of them had a truck in em. That was the busiest place I've ever seen. Has a few bays for just tires and brakes. There were about 8 plastic 55 gallon drums in one end each full of consumable parts (brake pads, belts, hoses, etc).

I hate salesmen but this guy wasn't too bad. Wasn't extremely knowledgeable about what he had on his lot - I had to take him to school a couple of times when he said things like "you know what the only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 is? - one leaf spring" lol I then told him about the frame rails be wider and the truck being heavier, etc. etc.

For a place that does an excellent job with their trucks, their so called "one year bumper to bumper warranty" is not really one year.....well, it is if you only drive your truck to the grocery store once a week. In fact, during the test drive the salesman said "one year bumper to bumper warranty" about 5 too many times so I asked him "is there a mileage limit"? he said, yeah, 6 k miles. Now he had just told me earlier that 69k miles is EXTREMELY low miles for a 3-4 year old diesel..so that works out to what .... somewhere around 20k miles a year? he didn't really have much of a response when I asked him why the warranty was not for something more realistic like 12k a year.

Oh well ,we'll see what happens. Just my luck, when I get ready to step up to a d-max the local news today reports sales increases at local lots - especially in the SUV and large diesel trucks. great!

It would probably be a good truck. 69K miles is nothing for that truck, so don't let that scare you.

Good luck.

If it was clean, I would jump on that. Take a gander at the passenger side manifold to see if it ever had an EGT sensor in it. Some guys rip out all their gauges and leave the sensor in there.

Other people just drive them stock.

Thats not a bad price though for an 07 with that low mileage. And you drove it so, what did you think? Powerhouse ain't it? Smooth and quiet...?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, nice and quiet! I'm still amazed at how "light on their feet" these trucks feel with all that power.....and that's stock. I've heard several guys say with the right tune (and even a mild tune) these trucks are REALLY impressive.

I'll give em a week and if I haven't heard from them I'm gonna call and ask how much would it knock off to drop the warranty and the one year free maintenance.

Hey- I used to ride MX up in Waldo back 5-7 years ago. That was a freakin long drive from Tampa.

That sounds like an okay deal on the truck... it's what they're selling for used in any event. If it doesn't appear to have been beat on, I'd jump on it.

Hey- I used to ride MX up in Waldo back 5-7 years ago. That was a freakin long drive from Tampa.

That sounds like an okay deal on the truck... it's what they're selling for used in any event. If it doesn't appear to have been beat on, I'd jump on it.

5-7 years ago...hmmm that was back when Wally still had Mt. Waldo at the track right? He had to take that massive hill out - too many injuries or something like that. Yeah, I live right across 301 and about 3/4 of a mile north.
They have a nice motel right in front of the track now.... and that big field between the retention pond and the parking area is now a mud bog.

Regarding the truck, yeah it looks really clean. I'm gonna check out a few things mentioned here like the egt probe. Where is the most common place to mount the probe on the d-max's?

Thanks
Smitty

Regarding the truck, yeah it looks really clean. I'm gonna check out a few things mentioned here like the egt probe. Where is the most common place to mount the probe on the d-max's?

Thanks
Smitty

Any plugs or probes would be found on the passenger side manifold towards the firewall.

5-7 years ago...hmmm that was back when Wally still had Mt. Waldo at the track right? He had to take that massive hill out - too many injuries or something like that. Yeah, I live right across 301 and about 3/4 of a mile north.
They have a nice motel right in front of the track now.... and that big field between the retention pond and the parking area is now a mud bog.

Thanks
Smitty

Correct, it was a step-up then. Fun jump from what I remember, although the guy I rode with back then dislocated his hip when he crashed off the right on the downside of it and almost went into the fence. I knew something was up when I had watched the same guy ride by a few times and hadn't seen my friend. What a cluster that day turned out to be. It was a holiday weekend, I had no idea where the ambulance would be taking him so I rode with them to the ER in Gainesville- left the truck and trailer at the track.

His wife and FIL came up from Tampa and we finally left the hospital at something like 2:00 in the morning to go get the truck so his FIL and I could drive back home.

So this isn't totally hijacked ):h
What happened with the 07? Did you end up passing on it?

Last edited:
The paramedics at the track that probably treated your friend are very good friends of mine. They run a side business called Extreme Emergency Services and work Waldo and Gatorback.

It's a small world....

Regarding the truck, those turds will not budge on the price. I really can't stand my salesman now. I told him I found another 07 LBZ in riverview FL that had 39k miles on it for 28,800 (even though it sold for cash to some kid within about 4 days of posting). I asked the salesman if he could come down to 28,800 and he gave me some bull crap about how they move over 200 trucks a month, blah blah blah. I asked him how long they let the trucks sit before negotiating.....he didn't like that question too much - said their trucks sit for an average of 60 days before they sell. I told him I'd call him at the end of June if I haven't found one yet and see if he's ready to deal.

I realize it's only 1000 dollars difference but it's just the principal of it now...and I'm not in a big hurry....I never am when it comes to buying a truck.

I got my 07 12/01/09 and drove all the way to Blue Point, Missouri. Paid 34K for it with 34K mi on it. It had a few minor cosmetic problems but, the LBZ's are going for a premium. I tried for over 6 months to get one at a lower price and the only ones that did go for less were beat up pretty bad.

But, as Mike says you always get a smile on you face when you get in your LBZ!

OK, after good advice here and coming to the realization that if I want a LBZ d-max, I'm just going to have to pay the asking price. You guys are correct, these things are going for premium $$ and if you do find one by owner for a decent price it's gone by the time you see the add and call.....sometimes within hours.
I'm going back down there with check in hand tomorrow morning. Got a few more things to eyeball on it but other than that I should be driving her home tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the input

Smitty

Back