• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

Most of the time tight bends like this outlet are made in two halves and welded together (if the volume is not enough to justify a casting). Motorcycle mufflers and expansion chambers are made this way. Old school is a technique of hammering the metal into a wood mold. Two molds actually a right and left half.

Holy crap does that bring back old memories.

Both building the expansion chambers and hammering shapes over wood bucks.....

Can't wait for the performance results on this! Was thinking of this exact turbo for myself and when you said it spools just as fast as your old one thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

Looks amazing....Ive had that exact set up in mind using the k47 box, so im happy to see someone else thinks the same way.

Ive got a hx35 i need of a rebuild that I aquired a long time ago, but the more reasearch ive been doing, the more im leaning towards the hx40II. I jumped on the holset "bandwagon" a long time ago, but you guys have alot more motovation and time to actually do it :)

I am very interested to hear your findings and opinions....

Oh and one question regarding your batt cable kits, are they long enough to reach the relocated battery? or should I specify that when ordering a set?

thanks
-Nick

Looks amazing....Ive had that exact set up in mind using the k47 box, so im happy to see someone else thinks the same way.

Ive got a hx35 i need of a rebuild that I aquired a long time ago, but the more reasearch ive been doing, the more im leaning towards the hx40II. I jumped on the holset "bandwagon" a long time ago, but you guys have alot more motovation and time to actually do it :)

I am very interested to hear your findings and opinions....

Oh and one question regarding your batt cable kits, are they long enough to reach the relocated battery? or should I specify that when ordering a set?

thanks
-Nick

yes my cable kit works out right with the relocation

I'm nowhere near "needing" this setup, but it sure looks like it'll end up on my truck at some point! Well done, man. Keep up the good work and THANK YOU for sharing the results!

Just took Brutus out for a spin this morning, went to gym and groc store, On my way back I took the expressway home cruising at 70 The boost is just under 3psi EGT around 500f, there is a long very steep road i took its over 10 percent about 1/2 mile long, I stopped at the bottom and took off WOT the boost peaked at 14-15psi EGT never got to 900f, by the top I was going 75mph plus and still climbing, with the gm8 i would have to take my foot out of it by halfway as the egt would be 1150-1200 and not pulling hard

Just took Brutus out for a spin this morning, went to gym and groc store, On my way back I took the expressway home cruising at 70 The boost is just under 3psi EGT around 500f, there is a long very steep road i took its over 10 percent about 1/2 mile long, I stopped at the bottom and took off WOT the boost peaked at 14-15psi EGT never got to 900f, by the top I was going 75mph plus and still climbing, with the gm8 i would have to take my foot out of it by halfway as the egt would be 1150-1200 and not pulling hard

Sounds positive so far.

Very curious to see how it behaves once you get 8,000-10,000 lbs behind it on a decent grade.

Where did you get this repop hx from?

eBay? If so, sellers name?

Last question: you sent it out for a workin over iirc. Did they find or fix anything thy was wrong?

Sounds positive so far.

Very curious to see how it behaves once you get 8,000-10,000 lbs behind it on a decent grade.

Where did you get this repop hx from?

eBay? If so, sellers name?

Last question: you sent it out for a workin over iirc. Did they find or fix anything thy was wrong?

it was on ebay indyracingparts is the sellers name, Im not sure what was done to it, Im pretty sure he just sent me another one, but this one felt good very little if any movement up and down and spins very free, I am looking forward to the test also, I dont have anything 8000# ill have to borrow a trailer

it was on ebay indyracingparts is the sellers name, Im not sure what was done to it, Im pretty sure he just sent me another one, but this one felt good very little if any movement up and down and spins very free, I am looking forward to the test also, I dont have anything 8000# ill have to borrow a trailer

I would suggest you arrange a trailer that you can get a hold of at different times to take as many variables out of testing as possible.

I would also suggest you use a travel trailer if possible. An 8000 lb travel trailer is a more difficult load to haul ( egt's, ect's, etc) than an 8000 lb flatbed load because of the wind component...

Better yet, send me some of your bolt on bits, I'll scrape up the cash for an hx and I'll test it with this:

1237d529-1.jpg

My truck is also running s Heath tune with a good ( ie: 2yrs old) gm8.

I'd have to wait for spring though. It would be a good comparison for your testing if nothing else....;)

Looks really good! I am actually more interested in non towing performance as this is what I was looking at this turbo for that purpose. Hows the seat of the pants feel? Notice anymore get up and go, or tire squealing?

Did you take a 0-60 test before to compare? If not is it noticeably better? The lower egts seem pretty unreal, with my gm-8 I could only get that with water injection!

Looks really good! I am actually more interested in non towing performance as this is what I was looking at this turbo for that purpose. Hows the seat of the pants feel? Notice anymore get up and go, or tire squealing?

Did you take a 0-60 test before to compare? If not is it noticeably better? The lower egts seem pretty unreal, with my gm-8 I could only get that with water injection!

The seat of the pants is better, I havent checked the 0-60 yet but im sure its better then the gm8, I drove it all afternoon and I find myself speeding all the time, it just seems to roll with alot less effort, the boost is real smooth on the gauge, as far as squealing your not gonna believe this but I stood on the brake and hit the throttle and it lit them up I kept my foot in it and it continued to for 10-15 feet or so, the best I could get with the gm8 was alittle squawk Ill get a video up, im impressed so far, I can't wait to try the ATT

The seat of the pants is better, I havent checked the 0-60 yet but im sure its better then the gm8, I drove it all afternoon and I find myself speeding all the time, it just seems to roll with alot less effort, the boost is real smooth on the gauge, as far as squealing your not gonna believe this but I stood on the brake and hit the throttle and it lit them up I kept my foot in it and it continued to for 10-15 feet or so, the best I could get with the gm8 was alittle squawk Ill get a video up, im impressed so far, I can't wait to try the ATT

Really?

My truck with the gm8 is nothing but tire spin if I hammer it from a dead stop for about 10-15 feet.

That's with the g80 locked up and both rear tires fighting for traction.

Brake start for a "boosted launch" is useless in my truck.

Gets you nothing but wheel spin.

The gm8 also doesn't get much over 900-1000f on wot with it limited to 13 psi on the TM.

Cruise at highway speed is around 500f with approx 4-5 psi.

I'm a bit surprised yours isn't the same....

I agree I can get more than a squawk out of the tires with the gm-8, especially holding the brakes. Off the line on a summer day just laying into it probably not if thats what you meant. I do know that the acceleration is pretty much as good at 2600rpm as it is at 3300rpm so this is where I was expecting the most out of the HX40WII, as in passing power and 0-60WOT.

Really?

My truck with the gm8 is nothing but tire spin if I hammer it from a dead stop for about 10-15 feet.

That's with the g80 locked up and both rear tires fighting for traction.

Brake start for a "boosted launch" is useless in my truck.

Gets you nothing but wheel spin.

The gm8 also doesn't get much over 900-1000f on wot with it limited to 13 psi on the TM.

Cruise at highway speed is around 500f with approx 4-5 psi.

I'm a bit surprised yours isn't the same....

Yours aint a Dually;)

Back