• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

yeah i just went and searched, you are right... i thought that our wheels were bigger...

76mm
64mm

versus
70.00mm
56.00mm

Between those two, not only is the HX40WII wheel size larger, with larger exducer, it has a higher trim value. The 70/60mm wheel from the H1C would have a higher trim value, but still smaller.

Additionally, these HX40WIIs and some of the larger 16cm^2 housing ones also have 10-blade turbines rather than 12-blade. So there is going to be less restriction from the wheel. This is a differnt turbo than the one posted about on DP though. That was the larger one, and he has an even larger turbine wheel. That said, 1:1 isnt really realistic, kind of impossible, just an estimation from watching two gauges (one 30psi, and one 60psi range). I'm sure it performs in that nice 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 ratio of drive pressure to boost. Very good values for our operation.

This HX40WII is a superior option over the HX35, because of the wheel options and slightly larger housing. Both of them blow away the GMx.

Would it be dangerous to run the hx40wii at 20 psi on a engine that has 235,000 miles and has been well maintained at least since i have had it. I am just dont want to put something on this engine that could cause it to blow !

A member over at the "Place" has posted some drive pressure numbers of the intermediate sized Chines HX 40.. Being 1:1 all the way up to 18psi and between 1.15 - 1.25 at 20psi boost, which isn't too bad at all.

Mike I cant get there info banned from accessing their page by their lawyers. So I can only take your word that something is that efficient that it is 1:1. I would suspect it is not that efficient.

Would it be dangerous to run the hx40wii at 20 psi on a engine that has 235,000 miles and has been well maintained at least since i have had it. I am just dont want to put something on this engine that could cause it to blow !

You can regulate the boost down if you feel 20psi is too much. I think you'd be alright though, as long as you keep the engine temps under 220F and are not running crazy advance from a real hot PCM program. Of course, there would be absolutely no reason to run 20psi of boost unless you are using a performance PCM program that has more fueling. Running this turbo at 15psi of boost is much healthier and more efficient for the engine than then GM turbo would be, so its still a good modification.

Between those two, not only is the HX40WII wheel size larger, with larger exducer, it has a higher trim value. The 70/60mm wheel from the H1C would have a higher trim value, but still smaller.

Additionally, these HX40WIIs and some of the larger 16cm^2 housing ones also have 10-blade turbines rather than 12-blade. So there is going to be less restriction from the wheel. This is a differnt turbo than the one posted about on DP though. That was the larger one, and he has an even larger turbine wheel. That said, 1:1 isnt really realistic, kind of impossible, just an estimation from watching two gauges (one 30psi, and one 60psi range). I'm sure it performs in that nice 1.1:1 to 1.2:1 ratio of drive pressure to boost. Very good values for our operation.

This HX40WII is a superior option over the HX35, because of the wheel options and slightly larger housing. Both of them blow away the GMx.

Would you be able to clarify this statement?

Fewer blades has less surface area to catch the air on its way out. There is more space between each blade, less obstruction. Comparing Turbonators H1C to the HX40 its one reason it will be able to have similar backpressure values even though the HX40 has a smaller housing.

Blade design also has an effect, to where some 12-blade turbines might flow as well or better than the Holset 10-blade design, depending on their pitch, surface area and size.

Fewer blades has less surface area to catch the air on its way out. There is more space between each blade, less obstruction. Comparing Turbonators H1C to the HX40 its one reason it will be able to have similar backpressure values even though the HX40 has a smaller housing.

Blade design also has an effect, to where some 12-blade turbines might flow as well or better than the Holset 10-blade design, depending on their pitch, surface area and size.

I would think that the 12 blade would be more efficient in most instances than the 10 blade. I know Mitsubishi uses almost exclusively 12 blade design in most of their exhaust turbines but there are other things that contribute to how efficient the total package is. So I agree that the 12 blade wheel occupies a little more surface area in the exit but like you said as well blade design effects efficiency and the housing internal passage design all contributes to how fast a turbo spools or how efficient it is overall. I wonder how much more restriction a 12 blade would add over a ten blade design prob not enough to matter or measure would you think?

A guy finds 300$ he did know he had. Now he has a decision to make. A. One 300$ hooker B. Three 100$ hookers. C. Fifteen 20$ hookers D. Buy that 300$ thing for his truck hes been wanting...:eek:

I would suggest fourteen 20$ hookers and instead of the 15th, buy condoms & paper bags so you don't have to look at just how ugly they are.

I would suggest fourteen 20$ hookers and instead of the 15th, buy condoms & paper bags so you don't have to look at just how ugly they are.

How about $7 for this month's issue of Playboy and $293 for goodies for the 6.5?

I would think that the 12 blade would be more efficient in most instances than the 10 blade. I know Mitsubishi uses almost exclusively 12 blade design in most of their exhaust turbines but there are other things that contribute to how efficient the total package is. So I agree that the 12 blade wheel occupies a little more surface area in the exit but like you said as well blade design effects efficiency and the housing internal passage design all contributes to how fast a turbo spools or how efficient it is overall. I wonder how much more restriction a 12 blade would add over a ten blade design prob not enough to matter or measure would you think?
If 12 blade wheels worked best wouldn't you think that the hi hp guys that drag and sled pull would use them??

If 12 blade wheels worked best wouldn't you think that the hi hp guys that drag and sled pull would use them??

Again, it is a fine art/science of balancing the relationship of housing volume/shape/flow with turbine blade design/configuration.

Back