• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard To Push Manual Clutch Pedal NV4500

Guys, I got my new snout, that the throw out bearing rides on. So, I tipped the tranny on the side to get the bolts out of it. I then looked towards the back end of the tranny and oil was running out of it. Do I need to put a new seal in the back of it? I thought I read somewhere that as long as the fluid doesn't get into the transfercase I would be okay? It isn't just a small leak. It is leaking as though I don't have a seal in the back of the tranny at all. Mabey it is supposed to leak out if I tip it on the side? Thanks guys.

there is no seal in the tail housing the in put shaft seal on the t case is what keeps the two oils seperate. be sure and use the appropriate oil when you re fill it. Mobil is what i will be going with for mine

Josh, did you go w/ brass synchro's instead of the original carbon surface type synchro's?

If they're the carbon ones, I would suggest using a gear oil explicitly spec'd for them - like the OEM spec'd Castrol Syntorq, Amsoil, or Redline's mix combo for this type synchro's.

My experience w/ other trans w/ carbon faced synchro's is they definitely benefit from the specific friction qualities of the spec'd gear oil. I've swapped in Mobil 1's synthetic gear oil into another carbon sychro trans & it shifted OK, but upon switching back to the intended gear oil, it did shift notably easier. It felt like the Mobil 1 was perhaps too slick & the sychro's didn't match gear speeds as quickly/easily.

The Castrol Syntorq is somewhat expensive, but it's not a fluid that should need replaced anytime soon.

I've read a number of trans shop's opinions to fill an extra pint (if memory serves, you might search to confirm?) beyond OEM recommended fill. They believe that 5th gear might benefit from more gear oil splash/lube. Some fill that last bit thru the top/shifter opening. Some add a pipe elbow (turned to facing upward) to the fill port, although it's apparently rather slow to fill that way.

Thanks Josh for the info on there not being a gasket in the rear of the transmission.

I also got a seal for the front of the transfercase. Is that very hard to change? Looks like four bolts and the plate should come off alowing me to change the gasket? also I am thinking just snugging up the bolts for the snout on the tranny and the front of the transfercase should be fine? also, what should I be using for a sealant on the tranny for the snout and the transfercase plate in the front? It looks like a black rtv sealant? Should I put a light coatingof oil on these seals when I install them? Thanks for all your great help.

I just did the front transfer case seal on the "599" project. Yes the plate on the front is sealed with rtv. I put grease on the seal lips to keep them lubed untill everything is back to normal.

Okay Guys, I just got the transmission put in this evening. A question I should have probably asked before putting in the new clutch. On my old dual mass flywheel I had three pins that were used for putting on the pressure plate. I think they were used for centering the pressure plate? On my new single mass flywheel there was not any pins or any holes for the pins. I just installed the clutch and pressure plate without any pins. I hope it everything is centered?

Hey Folks, transmission is in and truck is on the road. The wife actually drove it to work Today. She called me at home and said she really likes it. Thanks everyone here that had great input for me on this install.

Just some input. You all know I switched over to the single mass flywheel. It does shift a little differently but I think that is because I am so used to the way the clutch worked with the duel mass and it is so easy to push the clutch in now. I hope not too easy though. I won't for sure be blowing out any more master cylinders any time soon.

Before I took the trany out I did replace the slave cylinder and I didn't seem that I could get all the air out of the system. Now that it is so easy to push I can't tell if there is any air left in it or not? For the most part it shifts fine. It just seems that sometimes going through the forks to the gear it slides alittle bid harder with some resistance. I don't recall this before but it might have always been there. Mabey I should bleed it one more time? I don't get any grinding of the gears though when shifting.

One other thing that seems different that I hope will go away once it gets used for a few more miles is that when starting out in 1st gear I do get some clutch chatter. Anyone else experience that? I am hoping that it goes away in a couple of weeks. Only happens when I am starting out from a dead stop.

two things. Did you install a new pressure plate? Yes, I think you said so. Did you replace the disc? I think yes on this too. Did you use a new flywheel or a used one? If used, did you have it surfaced? If not, it will cause chattering if surface has hard spots on it from previous use. Also check for soft, broken, or loose engine and transmission mounts.

One other thing that seems different that I hope will go away once it gets used for a few more miles is that when starting out in 1st gear I do get some clutch chatter. Anyone else experience that? I am hoping that it goes away in a couple of weeks. Only happens when I am starting out from a dead stop.

When you say clutch chatter, do you mean chatter when the clutch is engaging? Or a chatter noise after it's fully engaged, starting out at low rpm?

The low rpm rattle in the trans (most notable in 1st @ low rpms/load) is the situation the becomes noticeable when converting to the SMF & w/o the trans output shaft damper.

If it's clutch chatter & the flywheel/clutch surfaces are clean/oil free, it will probably go away after the clutch facings have heat cycled several times & settled in.

Smithville, Thanks I feel better now. The clutch chatter that I feel is when the clutch is engaging. Only when starting from a dead stop is when I feel it. It isn't bad but I feel it. I did use the fine fine sand paper on the flywheel very slightly and I used starting fluid to whipe the flywheel and pressure plate off to get any and all oil off them.

Back