• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Gonna buy one within weeks.

Seen the digital ones, cheap comparatively.

Buddy you having problems under 10psi? making it useless?

Anyone else run one?

Also when T-ing in my IP inlet line, Should I just order up a few feet of Viton fuel line and replace it?

What size fuel line?

Barb fittings and hose clamps will suffice?

I got brass barbed fittings and small hose clamps, works fine.

And yeah the one from Glo Shift I got is useless for this because it doeant pick up before 10psi. could just be the one I got.

1/4" fittings worked perfect for stock hose.

Matt here's one that doesn't exactly match the truck but the range is perfect for our application. It looks like an aircraft gauge because that's what it came out of. I borrowed this from my RV-4 (kit airplane) since it's been in storage for a while (damn horse hobby, more expensive than airplanes). Gauge range is 0-15 psig and uses a standard Stuart Warner resistive sender. You can get them at Chief Aircraft: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/EngineInstruments/ISSPRO.html
ISS_CAFPC-01.jpg
These are made by ISSPRO and are an OEM special for kit planes. You want the one for a carburetor to get the right pressure range. You'll need to get the sender to go with it.
FuelPress-sender.jpg
You'll be into it about $75 plus shipping. You'll still have to get a tee and some fittings to plumb it up. I just tapped into the bleeder valve line.
FuelPress-tee.jpg
Try to do something better looking than I did with an inside out rasin bran box (redneck gauge cluster). Kinda has a wood grain look, huh?
FuelPress-idle.jpg FuelPress-freeway.jpg
I've been wanting to talk to ISSPRO here in Portland about OEMing a gauge for us in the 6.5TD comunity. Not sure if they'd be interested in a special that would sell less than a hundred units. I like the case they use on their EGTs and boost gauges. It wouldn't take much to put the meter movement in a different standard case that would match what we use already. It would be cool to have 6.5TD FUEL LIFT PRESSURE on the gauge face. Just need to call and talk with them.

Mike
..got a date in Ellensburg tomorrow...

The gauge OregonHorseTug shows looks to be a very appropriate scale & a great price.

I have the mechanical AutoMeter setup you've seen in my album which I like but wish I'd have gone with their full-sweep electric for ease of plumbing.

Do your research if going with a digital pressure gauge. Some don't have circuitry that time-averages or dampens their response. Given the digital display is a number, rather than an analog needle, if your actual cruise pressure is say 3.4 to 3.6 psi, the display might dance 3,4,3,4,3,4... etc. This can be rather annoying.

Not all digital gauges will be that way, but it's good to be aware when choosing.

Mine is plumbed in before the IP with a Mr. Gasket gauge from Advance Auto for under Twenty one dollars with the fuel block and 1/4 barbed fittings from Ace Hardware installed for under Thirty dollars! It doesn't look pretty but it does what I need it to! Keith

$15 Wika gauge with 1/4" 90% elbow and barb +1/4 barbed T and 5' of standard 1/4" fuel hose.In all bout 35 bucks.

This one is in my wife's 95

Attachments

• fuel gauge 055.jpg
    fuel gauge 055.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 67
Bison is brave enough to plumb the fuel into cab.

That aircraft gauge is great, would be nice if it fit in a pod, but something that could be permanently cut into the dash or so.

Oregon, what a score that is. That is way over half price cheaper than the closest other electrirc gauge setup.... Cheapest I could find is 200.

Good lookin out on that one. Now Just to brainstorm some ideas on where/how to mount it. I already planned on putting it down low part of the dash towards the 4x4 shifter anyhow, ...I'll have to get it and look at it and then figure out how to mount it nice.... Thanks again.

That aircraft gauge is great, would be nice if it fit in a pod, but something that could be permanently cut into the dash or so.

Lol, only on the wife's ride though... Would be nice with OPS bypass and LP Directly wired to the ignition mod :)

While electrical would be best/safest, I'd call it "managed risk", we are dealing with Diesel which is pretty hard to flash ignite under low pressure atomization if you had a substantial leak in open air leak scenario; so mine is also a mech gage plumbed into the cab, I'm dealing with 6-10 psi fuel, 1/8" copper line, it's pretty robust, if it starts leaking I can cap off at my tee fitting where I tapped for pressure sensing, I've got maybe $20 into my setup, I installed it with intention of it being temporary instal that has sort if turned into a permanent installation.

I see fire in cab from my setup no more possible for this setup than any other possible fire source, like the high speed blower connection behind the glove box, "safely allowed" as the final design by GM electrical designers, that 99% of trucks I've encountered have a problem with. Gas with it's volitility I'd say yes a big risk, Diesel in the cab I'm not all that concerned with it, especially where & how I have it routed, it's light oil as much as it's fuel hard to ignite unless certain conditions present, minimze the potential of those conditions and again as I think it's "managed risk".

I'm not going direct into cab route, as I don't have faith in my non-plumbing skills. I don't mind a leak, I can fix it. I just don't want it inside the cab, or behind the dash... or on the dash.. or in the dash...

SO.

I basically just need a 1/4"T barb setup and cut the hose to IP and install it there.

In order to use new 3/8ths line I would need to do the FTB mod which I'm not going to do at this time.

Easy enough.

Intake Gaskets. Can I use right stuff for that? Or just buy a new one's? Mine are 6months old, maybe I can re-use? (I do notice black along the PS lower intake bolts though, I assume its leaking already anyhow)

How is Cleaning 'right stuff'?? Cleaning I mean scraping off the old. to apply new.

Oregon, what a score that is. That is way over half price cheaper than the closest other electrirc gauge setup.... Cheapest I could find is 200.

Summit Racing has an electrical 0-15 Stewart Warner for $89.

Search for Stewart Warner 114214 either on their site or on ebay.

.. I already planned on putting it down low part of the dash towards the 4x4 shifter anyhow, ...I'll have to get it and look at it and then figure out how to mount it nice.... Thanks again.

That gauge will need a 2-1/4 inch hole, not the standard 2-1/16. You'll just about have to fab a little panel yourself. I don't know where you would find one.

If I can remember on Monday I'll call IssPro and see if they have that meter movement in a different case and what it would cost. Just dreaming but they might strike a deal to someone who would order a few dozen and retail them out.

Mike.

I like that Holley one better. I must have scrolled right past it when I was perusing the site.

That holley has more detail from 0 - 10 than to 15, intersting idea. not bad at all for the 6.5.

It does't mention anything about a the sender and harness's and stuff though, anyone know if it comes with?

Back