• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally gonna build a new shop

I had a mortgage business once, helping many people get their first house. I've had many properties over the years (wish I had some more now).
My constant observations on real estate;

It always costs more than you thought, takes longer, and you make less.

You're doing a great job that will last for a long time.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Last edited:
I had a motgage business once, helping many people get their first house. I've had many properties over the years (wish I had some more now).

What is a Motgage,any money in that?;)

No kidding:eek:

It(the shop) might last a long time,but i actually needed the damn thing 30 yrs ago :mad2:

I had a motgage business once, helping many people get their first house. I've had many properties over the years (wish I had some more now).

What is a Motgage,any money in that?;)

No kidding:eek:

It(the shop) might last a long time,but i actually needed the damn thing 30 yrs ago :mad2:

You're such a PITA Simon...:nono:

:hihi:

You're such a PITA Simon...:nono:

:hihi:
That's what my wife said last week to me too,when we had a ....Oopsie..:eek::D

Nah, i'm gratefull i can do this(build the shop)So many people have nothing to show for,even after working hard their whole lives.
I'm kinda lonely right now,wife Anna went with both our daughters to Europe on vacatation for 3 weeks,showing the Girls where we was spawned.

Me hates cookin and eating oatmeal porridge for a week straight gets kinda old:rolleyes5:

Really nice looking shop youve got going, especially for the price. Thats a steal.

I dont want to spend too much of your money your money, but if you are pouring the slab, pour it deeper in at least one spot for a car lift and run your in floor heat hoses around it. I know youll say youll never get one, but for a couple grand, it beats laying on your back. Ours never sees a day without something on it.

Run floor heat. You can do it yourself, the PEX is a PITA to deal with but the floor heat is worth it.

Whats your plans for drains? Again not a lot of extra cost, being as you live in BFE you could get away with a slightly non-code wastewater disposal system.

Lights. Put in lots, and then put more in. You wont regret it.

Good luck with it, hopefully you get it wrapped up before too long.

:stupid:

That's precisely what we did. We had 6" pillars poured and the heat run around them and bolted the lift right to it. In-floor heat is the best thing since sliced bread. Almost no noise and when it's 50* on the floor it's 51* by the ceiling. That's what I call even heat, and when you open the door you don't lose all your heat for 20 minutes, since the slab is nice and warm.

I love how on a 0* day on our farm we can stand 15' inside the shop with the big door open, in a t shirt and not be cold. You could stand like that for a long time. Weve sometimes had to have the door open for a few inutes when moving disabled vehicles in and its nice that the heat recovers to full tmep in less than 5-10 minutes. But the second you shut the door, its warm again.

You can lay the stuff yourself, although it is a PITA to deal with.

cookin and eating oatmeal porridge for a week straight gets kinda old:rolleyes5:

look on the bright side...your cholesterol will be lower :hihi:

btw the shop looks great...you and your brother could always winter down here and me build a smaller version(all expenses paid of course) ;)

Been kinda busy with other stuff last month.

But i got the concrete slab poured yesterday.
The rebar,concrete and the contractor to do the finnishing costed waaayyyy more than anticipated.:eek:
Over 15 grand + a grand for the 3" by 1' styrofoam against the footing on the inside and the custom made flashing to cover it.:WTF:
No money left for floor heat :nonod:
Actually no money left for anything else without going in the hole.:skep:

I did however install a floor drain halfway inside both door openings.

Attachments

• concrete shop 005.jpg
    concrete shop 005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
  • concrete shop 006.jpg
    concrete shop 006.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 9
  • concrete shop 001.jpg
    concrete shop 001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 11
  • concrete shop 002.jpg
    concrete shop 002.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10
  • concrete shop 007.jpg
    concrete shop 007.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
That sux! :mad2:

Look to the bright side, at least you have a shop that your truck will fit in to keep the rain/snow of your head while you are working on it. :thumbsup:

Be-ea-u-tiful..

The foam deal will save the slab. Expansion and contraction buffer me thinks?

Elbow room in that shop fer sherr.

Damn that's a wet pour! Some guys are that way. Looks good Simon. That styro will stop alot of cold from getting into the slab. If you have a wood furnace, waste oil heater or such and keep the floor from freezing then you will always be comfortable in there.

Yeah,that guy liked the crete to flow it seems, we didn't do a lot of shoveling though.every wheel barrow was dumped exactly on the right spot.

'll figger something out to keep from freezing,i got the wood chimney flashing installed allready.
prob a couple tube heaters too,the nat gas service is still there from when there was a pig barn there.
Water is close by as well (only 10')
Now i need to get the power in(gonna be underground)

But heck,its only 6 weeks before the snow flies again,..'sooo much to do!,...sooo little time!.

diggin the trench for the powerline.
Now i had that trencher here,i did take the opportunety to put all the power on the yard underground so i can eliminate all the overhead lines.It will be much safer that way(had couple close calls allready with the cattle liners)

Attachments

• digging  a trench 003.jpg
    digging a trench 003.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 16
Back