• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 2500 6.5 turbo won't start

Yes, we know the battery is weak, but batteries are expensive for a truck that dont run. It should be able to start with a jump or charger and these batteries have already been tested. He knows just how weak the one battery is and it was 150 CCA low. Stated in post #135. So no need to jump on his case, unfortunately not all problems have a simple answer, especially in the case of poor maintenance and dishonest sales tactics from previous owner. The PO knew what he was passing off most likely.

Not jumping his case at all, nor am I suggesting it is simple, but as JRS said so much has gone on in troubleshooting here, lets step back and retrace steps to make sure something simple hasn't been overlooked, such as battery dropping, I'd be inclined to also try at this point Jifaires trick of pre-heat intake air with the wife's hairdryer.

I've seen a lot of troubleshooting around glows, we swapped a PMD that was good when removed and put away as a spare but it may still be bad, I don't see confirmation where ALL gnds were good, maybe I missed that, lift may still be an issue if we are getting air in lines, does he have fuel to the IP at the IP inlet when lift is running, maybe I missed that.

With all attempted thus far possibly a summary now of all things done thus far by the OP would be beneficial.

Stay with me here goofy thought maybe, but lets look back a little & retrace, truck had ability to start when he got it in warmer weather, now it's colder, found some bad glows, fixed those weren't a draw before because not working, now working and adding draw to the system with known weak batteries, cold weather-thick oil, cold fuel cold batts,

I'm just sayin :), I'd like to see batt juice as high as it can be, maybe try a hi amp charger on it during the start, or a battery borrowed from another vehicle to replace the known weak one even though there may be a CCA mismatch, though I suspect the other isn't as strong as it should be either, and try that.

Mangus 580 & I just went thru this last week off line, tried this/that with 1 known bad batt, then put in 2 new ones as I had been bugging him to do now for a while; and viola he is a happy 6.5 guy again.

Not to mention when he didn't properly bleed the fuel system after changing the filter he probably sucked some air which can make these hard to start when there are no other issues to consider. Such as a weak battery or now brutally cold weather.
The hair dryer trick was also suggested long ago.
He needs to address one issue at a time and then move on. How many issues did he visit before he was even done with the glow plugs?
Had he tried the hair dryer and WD40 before the fuel filter change he might well have been running at that time. Before he had air to contend with along with his other problems.

You can check to see if your weak battery just needs some distilled water added to it, if its not a maintenence free one.

Testing the FSO out of the IP is a good idea, just to see if the plunger moves up with 12V applied. Or borrow a snap ring pliers that can compress the ring to pull plunger out, or just get a couple small ponted tools (picks) to reach in there and compress it. I have had 2 bad FSOs, so in my mind thats something to go straight to, but that doesnt mean anyone else has ever had that problem like me.

If I tried a block heater, good glows, batteries charged and 50 amp jump starter, knowing there was fuel pressure to the IP, and fumigating ether all at the same time, and it still didnt start, what would you suspect? and theres no fuel to the injectors, this truck has never started since picking it up, PO kept it running and immediately started it back up after dying at idle during the exchange.

Dying at idle and restarting I would suspect fuel, fuel filter, lift pump or sock.

Not starting after new glow plugs with the block heater plugged in and misting oil I would suspect it's not turning fast enough.

In this case - not knowing how much cranking time it's actually had since the filter change I would suspect air in the IP.

I would try known good batteries.

I would not try jumper cables unless they were at least 2 ought. If you have access to a huge booster charger that may work. A friend with a wrecker jumped the 96 Suburban when it had bad batteries. His booster on the wrecker is the same size as my portable welder.

If you are misting in the oil properly, have the engine warmed up and are turning fast enough it will run til it runs out of misted fuel.

If you have compression.

Regardless of pretty much everything else.

At that point in time the IP is doing nothing.

If the lift pump is running and not pumping fuel out the drain, It still isn't time to condemn the lift pump.

Take the lift pump off or at least the supply side. Hook a hose to the supply side and see if it will suck fuel through the hose before you run out and buy a new pump. The sock in the tank could be plugged.
This is such a easy idea. I also wondered in my situation if my sock was dirty. Ill pull and suck gas through the pull side as you stated just to see if it has good pull. I am seeing a healthy squirt coming from my bleeder at the gas filter

DO NOT USE ETHER

You can try Marvel, Sea Foam, WD40 or similar misted in.

The glow plugs should OHM out close to zero. I think the spec was like .02 ohms or so. If you have a buzzer on your tester it will be going off.

Be sure to use copper coat or some sort of anti-seez when installing the glow plugs and hope the last guy did also.

If you break a glow plug tip off trying to pull it out, after it is threaded out, Put a rag over the hole and try to start the truck. Sometimes the compression will blow the broken tip out.

I'd check the glow plugs first.

It sounds like you glow plugs are short cycling. That is an indication of bad glow plugs.

You can try sticking a hair dryer in the air filter elbow - I'd try that before anything else if you have someplace warm you can take it to work on it.

I'd never guess that a farm truck was maintained. Most farmers I know are terrible on maitenance
Ah haaa!! Here is the answer ive been looking for!!! You just said the magic words. Fast cycling is an indicator of bad glow plugs.. im therefore going to test mine today if i can find a wat to keep from pulling all 8

Pull as many as You can get to. Visual appearance is the no. 1 indicator.
No. 2 is will they glow red in about 5 seconds hooked to a known good battery ?
I have never used the battery method. I have just read about that. Usually when I pull a phew of them, the visual erosion from the ends is enough.

Ok
Pull as many as You can get to. Visual appearance is the no. 1 indicator.
No. 2 is will they glow red in about 5 seconds hooked to a known good battery ?
I have never used the battery method. I have just read about that. Usually when I pull a phew of them, the visual erosion from the ends is enough.

Okay awesome I'll look at it after I stitch this up...

Back