• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

I am going to blame Limey for this episode of travel!

I am glad I had a concealed carry permit, even though it is not valid in Nevada the 'nice' officer didn't take away the weapons or me!

And it wasn"t as if the magazines were fully loaded, the six 27 round mags only had 25 rounds each. And the two 13 round mags had 11 each. I mean what can a guy do with just 172 rounds of .45 acp and 2 semi auto weapon?? And I left the other six 13 round mags at home.

And as the saying goes, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas", I surely didn't want to stay in Vegas!

LOL, Paul ( Sunshine) will be sad to hear this

I am going to blame Limey for this episode of travel!

Should feel honoured about getting the blame, leaves another pour sod alone, Sorry about the blaspheme, but that what happens when you fart in Church. :rolleyes5:

I joined the merchant marines at the age of 15yrs, learnt a lot & still learning about life, like its, "Ted that's jail bait, LQQK closer" My lips even they're as hard as a Woodpeckers "ARE SEALED" but cant stop laughing..!! :)

Check the wiring on the transfer case. Mine broke. I fixed it by running a switch into the cab to engage the actuator. Now I have 2LO if I need it.

Let's get together when you're back in town and I'll give you a hand with it.

IIRC I had problems with the new actuator wiring install on the '95. Should be a thread somewhere here on it. I was able to solve it by tapping into the harness behind the FFM in the engine compartment vs along the transmission tunnel. Made no sense as I tested all over, but it worked.

BTW this thread is nutty. The build detail is crazy. I will be calling when it comes time to pull the engine out of the '95 and I want Ted's military engine crate to keep my donor heart in.

I hope it is just the camera angle. The left hole looks a little pushed to the upper left as well. "Positive waves man."

Paul, I know where a good front differential is. Are they geared to match the rear? The '95 has 4.10 rears.

Paul, I know where a good front differential is. Are they geared to match the rear? The '95 has 4.10 rears.
Yes, they are geared to match and mine, unfortunately, are 3:73. While the internal components such as that now half-mooned disc would be of use, I can't see ruining a complete unit for that part. It's now special order but the unit is working fine, even with a bite out of the disc.
Thank you just the same though, much appreciated.

Taking my time dropping the transmission. New territory and I'm alone but 'unafraid.' In the meantime, I'm working to finance this never ending war with the 6.5. I wired in new gauges and am knocking out other little things as I go.

For the “GIVE ME PICURES” crowd (who can blame you), here is a series of shots from the engine's assembly.
I’ll save you from my usual banter and let the pictures do the talking. As I’m not sure how many one can put in each post, I’ll keep it at a five per set and let it run.

Set One.
1 Clean Block.jpg Block Cleaned
2 Cam Bearings.jpg Cam stuff
4 Cross hatching.jpg Cylinder Prep
5 Studded Mains.jpg Cross Hatching
6 End Play.jpg Studded Mains

Attachments

• 3 Cylinder lube.jpg
    3 Cylinder lube.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 7 Rings hand lubricated.jpg
    7 Rings hand lubricated.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 8 Piston Inserted.jpg
    8 Piston Inserted.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 9 Checks.jpg
    9 Checks.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 Cam Inserted.jpg
    10 Cam Inserted.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 15
Once the Valves were all checked and clearances confirmed, Headgaskets (thick) in place etc. it was all buttoned up. At this point here I have a lot of pictures of another motor's valve openings, machinings, head faces etc. that aren't mine. I know because the ceramic visible on my heads isn't on the new ones so I wouldn't try to pass them off as mine.

So,

Valves check out.
13 Valves1.jpg

Timing Cover ready to go on.
14 Timing Cover.jpg

New and Improved ULSD 'Safe' Injection Pump with Grey PMD (now yet another "Spare")
15 ULSD DB4.jpg

The the motor was then packaged and delivered for which the pictures have been posted.

Hope this satisfies somewhat the curious.
I sent my motor and engine shipping crate back to Bill for his use. On the way back across California, a Deputy didn't believe him that there was just an engine in the engine shipping container marked "Engine, Shipping Container" so, convinced that he couldn't lift the lid by himself (350#) off to the maintenance yard to have them unbutton it and lift the lid with a crane. Funny, there's engine in there....
Ted was being especially cooperative as his carbine converted pistol isn’t welcome in some states that piss “Golden State” on your back and claim it’s just Washington Rain.

Whatever, Turns out I've done Bill a return favor as he needs a motor to drop into his green one-ton until he can get the time to build a new power plant for it. This way it won't be just sitting there as a home for wasps.:rolleyes5:

Speaking of police/law enforcement... Ted, while in Phoenix at the races last weekend ran into a couple of friends from Vegas....
IMG_1553.jpg
I still don't know where they keep the handcuffs....:???:

I was thanking the first gal for bringing back memories of the previous Saturday, before Pomona, the over the knee leather boots. She wanted to know just what memories and I told her and her 2 friends. And of course Paul had to catch that on his 'ever so handy' camera phone.

And if I am guilty the Paveltoz is also guilty, guilty by association! And then there is Limey, he is guilty also!

The engine shipping containers should have windows, the police want to know what is in the container so often!

Installed the gauges today. I'd run the wires prior to heading out to Phoenix/New Mexico but hadn't connected anything to power since

Isspro EV2 Boost, Exhaust Temp, Fuel Pres. on the A-Pillar. Oil Pres, Air Temp & Trans Temp. in a three pod dash top housing.

The new gauges are a lot easier to wire up with the connectors working like "T" Splices and being able to run all of their power, dimmer and grounds off one set of lines. Having two to three wires per sensor makes for a challenge but a enlarging the existing hole in the fire wall and the A-Pillar solved that.

I used wire loom wherever possible to keep things neat.
IMG_1570.jpg

The Dash Pod will be held in place with those two-sided 3-M adhesive strips for now so I didn't shorten the wires too much. Thankfully, there's plenty of room to coil the excess.
IMG_1574.jpg

Im not a fan of the wire routing through the A-Pillar off the Dash Pod
IMG_1573.jpg

But you can't see them from the driver's seat and there's still the option to drill through the top of the dash and re-run the wires later once the location is finalzied.
IMG_1572.jpg

The A-Pillar mount will need to be replaced but it's been in and out so many times that it's getting trashed so it, too, is on the 'eventually replace' list of TTD.

I purchased a CCTV camera at O'Reilly's and took a look at the Gallery Plugs and Cam Bearing Seals. Having not run in a week plus, the source for the residual oil on the outside of the Cam Bearing Seal wasn't evident. But, that camera thing is pretty cool and will come in handy once I get the exhaust back on, brace trans and motor and let it come up to temperature.

I'd have done it today but the batteries are stone cold dead. Not sure how that happened unless the cargo light or dome over ride got hit while wrestling with the dash bezel getting it out of the way. Ted will blame Sunshine... Regardless, 'No Power Scotty!" Maybe I can at least check fuel pressure tomorrow once they've charged up overnight. Hope the Optima's don't fail me now.

"Impulse Power Restored."

Gauge Lights look pretty good.

IMG_1575.jpg:thumbsup:

Air-Dog is apparently set to 11PSI

Picked up all universal joints for replacement once the tranny comes down and managed to finally dislodge the drive shaft from the rear differential. Penetrating oil soak for the week and a quick snap with an actual pry bar vs. big screwdriver.

One step at a time....

My boost gauge is your "newer" style Isspro. My Trans Temp and EGT gauges are old style Isspro. I can barely see the latter at night, but the new style is sweet at night.

I could see the older style "EV" boost gauge alright, it wasn't great, but ok. It was the older EV Pyro that was too dark at any level of brightness to really see. Then there was the "Air" temp gauge (really a water temp gauge Todd said 'works very well'...:skep:), it has a 1/3 sweep arch face with letters so small as to be invisible regardless of light. It was very slow to respond to changes and always a little low compared to ECM readings on the Palmer Dash Command.

So, I replaced the Pyro a month or so before the engine swap and right then I knew I was doomed to total gauge set replacement plus those other gauges I'd been meaning to add...boy do order totals add up quick! Oh well, save a little each month and jump when ready.

Ted thanks me cause now he has motivation to get his setup completed only, he's going to need another cab to get them all in. He'll need to go with the EV2 series as well cause, at a minimum, he'll need another alternator to keep up with the draw should he go with incandescent bulbs.

Besides, the green will match his truck. I'd have gone with Red, were it available but SSForce already has that color locked down here in the valley.:agreed:

Back