• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

635 Rebuild cont.

We'll drop the drop the flex plate cover and start it up (keeping fingers and toes awayb from the obvious) and from there we can see the main seal, galley plugs and ascertain if the cam plug might be at issue.
Cam Plug: Given the builder of the motor designed the cam and supervised Ted who put it in, I'm about positive it isn't that as it shouldn't be leaking like that. But...
Galley Plugs: Ted, having been snake bit by Jamie on that one during the first go around with Diesel Depot ("Oh, the galley plugs are finger tight [discovered after pulling the motor because of leaks there]! Well, I wonder how that happened? [insert crickets chirping here])," Ted made sure those were sealed and tight before heading down here with it and double checked them again before the motor went in. But...
Rear Main Seal: Two piece bottom end.
Scat crank was turned down to accept the two piece rear main so there may be an issue there. Especially if they are the same guys that initially machined the decks to look like the Rocky Mountains...just working through possible causes and points of inspection. Bill did check it and it was fine to his recollection but that was a while ago so I'll put a mic on it and report the findings.
Oil Pan: It had minimal dings in it before chrome and the shop worked that thing baby butt smooth so there's a slight possibility that its no longer correct to the point that a thin film of RTV could bridge that gap. Again, still working through possibilities. I've another oil pan and this time, lots of paint!

In the mean time, I'll pull all the old looming off and replace with new while inspecting wiring and removing the glow and vacuume driven sensor circuits still in there hanging off like leaches. There's a lot of grease and oil gack that there wasn't time to remove...its going. Insulation/Dynamat for the interior and firewall. Hood liner is going since it soaks up with water coming through the hood vents. New tail lights need the HID transfered over to them. Some day Leroy will answer the email on that question. The glow plug "wait to start" light issue has been sorted out after searching the schematics. blah blah blah. Little stuff but time consuming and I'm reminding myself that I have time. I just have vitrious (sp) sacks detaching from my retnas causing 'smudged glasses' quality vision. It isn't getting better and could get worse (detaching is better than tearing) so I'd like this done before my handicap license plates get issued because of blindness (joke).

Hey Paul its gonna be ok cause you can at least discuss it, cowboy lost on terminology here, whew!!!! You got the har dc part done now just debug her!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

We were both tired so it took most of the day to get the courage to pop that Flex Plate Cover. We spent the morning hanging out and talking and then went shooting for a bit. Sheel's was hosting a 16 couple wedding on their in-store Farris Wheel (it's Ferris' 154 Birthday anyaway so why not...weird).

Cross over had to come out too but the inspection ascertained it is NOT A REAR MAIN SEAL. Top Gallery Plugs are suspect though.
The Cam Bearing Housing was wet on the the right side starting about the 2 O'clock position. Suggestions to rebuild the tranny are under serious consideration as it has to come off to get at the Gallery Plugs anyway. Might as well have it taken out and rebuilt while in there. If it is the Cam Bearing Plug, I can get at that too. So, another good news - bad news story. Could be worse, could be better and 'that's life.'

Nobody lost their eyesight looking at the bright side of things, except maybe the sun....

Paul, have you ever thought about writing a book with all your 'sayings', or perhaps a motivational speaker? I must say, you probably have one of the best attitudes of anyone I know. (Side benefit would be all that extra cash to pay for the minor repairs and rebuilt tranny). I probably would have washed it with gas and dried it with a match by now. Hey, there you go, a saying for your book.

Paul, have you ever thought about writing a book with all your 'sayings', or perhaps a motivational speaker? I must say, you probably have one of the best attitudes of anyone I know. (Side benefit would be all that extra cash to pay for the minor repairs and rebuilt tranny). I probably would have washed it with gas and dried it with a match by now. Hey, there you go, a saying for your book.

"...Dried it with a match!" I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt. Your comment would fit nicely in a sequal to that "$%^& my father says" book.
Anyway, that's about where I was emotionally yesterday and would have done it except I was under it at the time. Trust me, I have my moments like, well, today when the cross over slipped off the studs and the "U" bolt (nutted end) sliced across the top of my head. Yesterday, Ted had to talk me off the ledge. I'm 300' above a lake with a nice straight downhill run of a mile to it and the thought was expressed with my 'outside voice.' Anyway, another day and another "B.O.A.T." day for the truck I guess. We'll see tomorrow after some phone work to find some solutions. Friend down the road is a well equipped mechanic who works out of his garage, I think he'll have a color bore scope that will help determine the real oil issue source so a course of action can be selected with better information.

I want all here to know that as frustrated as I am with this set back, ya'll know it isn't the first one, I had a bad feeling there would be another one (although I wasn't expecting this kind of drama) and I'm going to get up in the morning and the sun will rise again in the West and all will be right with the world.

Well, I think I found the cause your problem, Paul. The sun rises in the East.:WTF:

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner in the spot quiz for reading comprehension and reasoning skills.:th_CONGRA34:
I was beginning to wonder if anyone would bring up that little gag...and I come to you guys for advice? :rof:

I want all here to know that as frustrated as I am with this set back, ya'll know it isn't the first one, I had a bad feeling there would be another one (although I wasn't expecting this kind of drama) and I'm going to get up in the morning and the sun will rise again in the West and all will be right with the world.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would bring up that little gag...
I thought it fit the sequence of your current events perfectly so I left it alone. If it rose on the East horizon today then you're back on track...
BTW, you wouldn't be the first guy to have a cam plug leak. That's why I always have put a bead of sealer eround them when I sock it in place.

I thought it fit the sequence of your current events perfectly so I left it alone. If it rose on the East horizon today then you're back on track...
BTW, you wouldn't be the first guy to have a cam plug leak. That's why I always have put a bead of sealer eround them when I sock it in place.

Once the tranny is back and flex plate off; every plug back there is getting removed, re sealed and encases in a "body cast" of RTV or epoxy. If i can get it, Ill pick purple...just for you. I'll leave the valley drain open.
Today I'm off to Vegas. "I'm on vacation!"

Thanks Paul but bro its burgandy, burgandy....... Man just aint got no ability to like them unique hillbilly colors! LOL Good luck at Vegas, mabe you win a million n really fix that old piece of GM iron up pardner!!!!

Time for a little R&R huh Paul. Sorry to hear the issues your having. I Remember Ted telling me all the time and cost it was for him to have those leaking galley plugs fixed I would for sure think they were buttoned up tight. Enjoy your much needed break and hit me up when your back in town.

Thanks Paul but bro its burgandy, burgandy....... Man just aint got no ability to like them unique hillbilly colors! LOL Good luck at Vegas, mabe you win a million n really fix that old piece of GM iron up pardner!!!!

Sorry Amigo, Purple or nothing. In Vegas for one night's SLEEP. With the luck I'm having, you think I'll strike it big at the tables...you've more faith in me than I do. I suck at "Go Fish!" In a few words, I ain't playin'.

Time for a little R&R huh Paul. Sorry to hear the issues your having. I Remember Ted telling me all the time and cost it was for him to have those leaking galley plugs fixed I would for sure think they were buttoned up tight. Enjoy your much needed break and hit me up when your back in town.

Yeah, that's life. We're not 100% positive, but it could be that the one's behind the engine stand plate weren't done but it could be the cam plug but it doesn't explain the oil on the outside of the cam bearing housing at the 2' O'clock position. Leaking Gallery plug does. I was joking with Ted that I'll use those rubber drain stoppers that screw in this time...

$80 for a tranny jack at Harbour Freight (450# capacity for a 200# tranny), drop the drive line and replace Universal Joints, remove bolts from bell housing, disconnect Flex Plate from Torque converter, a few other bolts, jack under the motor with scratchy stuff on new oil pan (#$%^&), roll tranny back, remove flex plate, re-do every mother's son plug in there save the cam plug but JB Weld that or RTV or the drain stopper trick (should I patten that?). Reverse. Yeah, there's something I've missed but I've got the manuals and tools in every corner to choose from (got a blow gun for the Gnombs too).:thumbsup:

Tranny shop with best rep on Yelp says they don't do 4L80Es...too complicated so they just stuff in a reman OEM unit. :???: I'll burn this one up and save dimes for a Reman later.

As for this weekend, I almost called in sick for this race but I have the tickets in my glove box. I was just feeling plain burned down (gassed up, dried with a match...I'm still laughing at that one). But, the further I got from Salt Lake, the better I felt. Plus, with that air inversion we've had since, what, mid-December, the air was getting better and better. Then there's the mileage the Passat gets; 390 miles on 8.6 gal of Diesel! Wa-hoo. Topped off here and will do so again on the way home with fuel to spare!

It could be worse, I don't want to know how worse though so keep it to yourselves OK.:hihi:

In the mean time, my son posted this on his facebook account.

Dodge Viper vs. Daffy Duck

Dodge Viper vs Daffy Duck.jpg

Just for a little added insurance if it's not the cam plug this time you might drill & tap a 1/4 20 hole on both sides of the plug and screw a allen head & washer to prevent the plug from ever pushing out.

4L80E too complicated???? That's hilarious! They are much less complicated than any out there. No band adjustment no detailed shift kit to retro fix poor shifting from the factory. The only thing really wrong with the 4L80E, is the pressure spikes and the cast reverse piston that the snow plow guys usually crack when slapping it into reverse while still moving. All those can easily be fixed. Paul I know you have had a lot on your plate here lately, but... You could do the rebuild later on and upgrade the sure fix components that need it. If its working well now run it til it has a problem. These things are just a TH400 with an extra gear. Don't know why a shop would NOT rebuild it? Isn't that what a transmission shop does?

No kidding. TCI, Hughes, B&M and others build bullet-proof 4L80E's that can handle 800+ hp. They use 32 element 1-2 sprags, extra Alto/Kolene clutches, all the tricks to build T400's on them plus beefed up apply pistons, etc. ANY competent transmission shop that does actual rebuilds can custom rebuild and beef up your 4L80E. That shop is blowing smoke up your tailpipe, Paul. Scouts Out.

About Yelp. I found out that they only put the negative reviews at the top 5 or so unless the business pays a fee. If you click on the more or all reviews button, the good ones show up. Yelp is one step removed from an extortion scam.

Had a slight delay in meeting with Paul this morning. A comment was made, by me, and was taken the wrong way. I am sure Paul will tell all soon! If he ever quite laughing!!!

Thanks for the replies on the 4L80E. From what I’ve read that it mirrors that which has been said about the unit being an upgraded TH-400. Waiting until it starts manifesting issues to do anything more than move it out of the way so I can get at the plugs is exactly what I have in mind now. I’ll pick up the transmission jack on Monday as I roll in to the valley on the way home.
Ted’s little ‘un-excellent adventure’ started, I’m told, with a malfunctioning Debit Card reader at the fuel stop. Keep in mind that I’ve stayed in another hotel on the other side of town and am waiting for a normally punctual Ted to arrive at 8am. At 8:15 I’m told he’s “running a little late and will be there shortly.” Ok.
Well, allegedly the situation progressed something like this. The fuel pump card reader function caused him to have to walk a few yards out of his way to talk to the cashier. Those of you that know him understand that Ted is shy, tolerant and yet full of good advice…. So, on the way out he notices a young lady in an ultra short mini dress and halter type top standing there in the 40 degree weather (it is 7a.m.). Now Ted is also the considerate type so he offers this: “How much do you charge?”
Thinking he’s scored a moral victory in ‘showing her’ he proceeds to fuel the truck only to discover she has followed him over for some more sage advice. Ted, overcome with compassion states, allegedly, “Your mother must be real proud of you!” Wounded by this witty, original and previously unheard of comment, she is suddenly backed up by first one, then two and then three….you guessed it dear readers…no, not pimps…POLICE CARs and everyone, including the “Hooker” has badges except Ted. Apparently she feels no cold and has no sense of humor to boot. She does have a pair of hand-cuffs only these aren’t pink fluffy padded things some of you can only dream of but I digress.
Now it’s Ted’s turn to be truly witty and, for a change, words fail him and he has only a three word vocabulary consisting of “Yes Officer” and “No Officer!”
“We see you have a concealed weapons permit. Do you have a weapon with you now?”
“Yes Officer.”
“Is it easily accessible?”
“Define ‘easily’ accessible.”
“Just tell us where in the truck it is.”
“Yes Officer.”
Officer produces an easily accessible Glock 21…”Oh my, that is accessible!”
“Yes Officer.”
“Anything else?”
“Yes Officer.”
Officer finds the Mech Tech converted Glock 21, now a 16.5” barreled Carbine with an M-4 kit….
“You have six, loaded, high capacity magazines (27 rounds each) with this thing plus two 13 round mags for the pistol…”
“Yes Officer.”
By now, everyone is getting along famously. The girl has a coat, the cops have a smile and Teds hands are purple from the blood being cut off by the as-yet broken in cuffs (they’re only tight when new).
With the exception of the cuffs, which never came out, it was a good learning experience for Ted. 23 year old hookers who look like they're 15 shouldn’t dress like undercover cops…or something like that.

It's no wonder I snickered all the way to Big-T's and the rest of the day and probably tomorrow. I just hope I can get the Dash Cam Video...nothing ruins a good story like an eye witness though. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Back