• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 exhaust systems & cross overs who's are you running & why ?

Well I had no idea this would be such an active thread, so I changed the heading to expand to a complete exhaust Q&A.

I started discussion with X overs, but to expand and answer possibly why change exhaust at all beyond the X over?

It is well known that key to making power in a Diesel is airflow, for more in depth info on that visit Banks website, seek the tech articles/discussion link and there is some very good info about airflow.

Stock exhaust is 2.25" with many restrictions: X over, Down pipe, Cat/soot trap that plugs easily, Muffler, all of which need to be free flowing as the 6.5 just like any other Diesel likes to breathe.

After market 3" is plenty for most folks, some folks go straight pipe after the turbo no muffler (turbo itself makes a pretty good muffler) that is until you go to the ATT which can be loud at the exit even with a quality muffler on it, not loud really it announces it's presence with AUTHORITY , no "fart can ricer noises" from the outlet.

1st system I had was a Banks 3" system which was an improvement, but gave me some odd ball pressure pulses on WOT accelerations, that showed at the boost gauge, rapid pulsations of boost 1-4 psi depending on how hard I pushed it when I had my GM turbo.

I run a 0-15 psi boost gauge which is more sensitive than a 0-20/0-30+ one is, not sensitive more like a tighter span of range looked at so small changes show up as large ones because of gauge sweep range.

Anyway I shared this with Bill Heath one day, and he suggested I had a issue with my muffler, Banks then (I don't know about now) used a reverse/cross flow muffler like GM muffler, exhaust in high side on inlet-thru muffler/baffle tube-hit back wall of body-enter other tube-turning internally then out the back of the muffler low side.

He suggested I replace it with one of his, since nothing was wrong with mine other than the oddball boost which was more of a visual distraction than felt performance loss, I was hesitant, he did some light arm twisting and I relented to him, :D .

Boy am I ever glad I did relent, not only was it 4" but the muffler was thru flow like a big assed straight glass pack I used to run back int the 70s, (without the glass).

Wow I gained a more throaty growl and the boost drift nuisance I had been trying to solve for 4 years went away, plus I picked up some more street grunt by seat of pant dyno, and improved acceleration time over distance at my favorite stretch of "test track" at the old shipyard access road by my house that I use to judge results of mods I make, way to go Bill :thumbsup: .

Added the ATT and now when I get in a tunnel with windows cracked it sounds like a semi rig is right behind me with the re-virb off the wall when I punch it up a little, very fun to do when next to a ricer or Prius and they freak out looking for the semi that came out of nowhere this is "fixin to" run em over. Know what a Prius sounds like if it passes you ??? Immmm Gaaaayyyyy (Thx for that joke Juff Dunham)

So from that experience my recommendation is that whatever system you choose it needs to be mandrel bent, and have a straight thru flow muffler, 3+", 4" if you plan on pushing the performance envelope to it's limits.

I like the Heath setup obviously as it is on both of my 6.5s, now if really cash strapped, another possibility for a home brew system, get an old stock system from a Stroke.

From a bone yard, 4x4 specialty shop, or muffler shop that does exhaust upgrades for Strokes, the removed stock systems on those are IIRC are 3/+3" maybe 4" stainless tube systems and would work very well for the 6.5

Last edited:
The 4 inch system on my Old Tahoe was abig improvment. I had to have it custom made as no one made a 4inch cat back(Empty cat...:D). The nice thing wa the ex shop cut the 4 inch right into the empty cat so it flowed nicely. Even though Kits are availible for my Dually, I am having the same shop do the Dually. It is my next mod expected to be done in the next few weeks. Factory muffler chokes the engine nearly as much as the worthless soot trap(cat). My Dually passed emmisions with flying colors with it guted. it's useless junk.

I have a stock crossover pipe hanging on the wall (for demonstration purposes :shiiiiiite:) that a golf ball can’t pass thru and right beside it hangs the factory 94 downpipe that looks like it fell off and was flattened by an 18 wheeler. Has helped many friends order a mandrel pipe kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FuiRKiaIPk

Other than Kenny, who had a custom 4" exhaust fabbed up by a shop, does anyone know where I can pick up a 4" exhaust that will definitely fit the Tahoe?

-Rob :)

Heath sells a 3.5 one I think but it's pricey. I think Jardine maybe ?? Someone does but my problem was that I needed to keep the trap(for looks anyway) and no one made one from the trap back.

I have the Hearthrob from SSD, he was cheaper than Heath or Kennedy. I didn't know about Diamond Eye or Warpspeed then. It is a nice exh. My cross over is from napa, single wall but with the crappy bends. I needed it now, found out later that a 2 1/2" mandrell bent was available for $5 more at DSG in Red Deer, AB.:mad2:

Heaths full exhaust and crossover my only complaint is with the humidity in Virginia makes everything rust BUT not as bad as where they SALT the roads in the winter:eek:

When I replace the factory system, I'll pop the extra cash and go stainless and it'll most likely be 3 inch.

The aluminum cross over from warpspeed was a thing of necessity right now seeing as mine is rotted....

I still have the factory exhaust on my truck. I currently have the muffler back ripped out. When I get home I will replace the downpipe back.

I have one of the lucky trucks with the crushed downpipe and meesed up crossovers.

The one he had for the 2 door Tahoe was 3.5.
It seems he has a 4 inch now.
http://www.heathdiesel.com/P/HDP1574/
When I asked him a few years ago that was what he had.
I only paid 450$ for my 4 inch and that was installed.

Agreed back in early days I think you could get 3-3.5-4" from Bill, I think he probably saw the trend guys pushing the envelope wanting as big as they could go with it and settled on the 4" offering.

The GM turbo flows well with a unrestricted 3" system at stock power levels or even with a reflash, reflashed trucks benefits from 3+ " setup,

Ive been contemplating for the project engine a custom 5" system to hopefully work better with the ATT and some other things that might happen to it, there is a tipping point of diminished return as the turbo outlet flow-ability/diameter is a fixed area and if you go too big are you just paying extra for larger ID steel tube that you aren't getting any benefit from.

Found a couple of pics of crossover on heath site including one that was collapsed internally

Attachments

• 100368_3 Heath mandrel x over.jpg
    100368_3 Heath mandrel x over.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100369_3 crushed X over.jpg
    100369_3 crushed X over.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
I use the Warpspeed crossover and Jardaine 3-4" exhaust system.

So far no rust issues after a few years, but I keep them clean and try not to run in salt. Normal galvanized steel stuff, no SS.

Oh and a 5" chrome tip, which is a necessity. Bling!

For the money the x-over and exhaust is the best mod out there for a beginner. HP boost and lower Pyro temps.

Back