• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1st Dead Dipaco/DTech PMD ??

I have yet to have either type PMD fail. I had the Stanadyne on the IP when I first bought it and all service records from PO, no IPs or PMDs. But IP was replaced in 2002 by owner previous to PO. So it lived from 2002 to 2007 when I bought it and it still works, but I bought a SSD kit and its been on the intake since 2007 with a Flight Systems (aka Dtech/Dipaco) PMD. Both work just fine still. Some people have bad luck, others not as much, and some people live where its 60-80 degrees every day, no less, no more. Either seems to work fine if you just put it away from something that rapidly heats up.

Jasper Engines is now selling 6.5TE injection pumps over the counter. They have new stanadyne PMD's, the updated low drag armature, and are all shipped with the test stand results. They aren't high performance, just stock, but they are good units with a one year warranty on parts and labor.

I replaced manyFord Elec modules on my own and customers. The aftermarkert Standard Ign ones were worse. These Dipacos are no better than the Stanadyne. In fact, time may prove them to be worse.

I think the installation is the difference; "heat transfer pad" vs thermal compound, proper torque on the screws, location, etc.

2 years+ on my Dtech, ...I'd like to have a spare, though.

Any leads on good used ones?

We just had a Dtech PMD fail on my sons truck {bumper mounted} when it was installed a little less then a year ago.

Not happy about it to say the least!:mad2:

ive had a dtech front mounted for about a year and a half now, no problems ( knock on wood ) but the talks of how they fail even worse than stanadyne have me paranoid! Guess i should look for a spare as well...
Might even be worth keeping a spare harness, ive heard some of the aftermarket ones arent made very well/ are prone to corrode

I'm under the impression it is all about temp swings not just heat. Mine is mounted under the hood near the drivers batt and has been for about 150k.

That run away engine stuff kind of scares me.
Guess I'll be switching back to Standyne as they go bad.

It is a tad surprising when traveling in a line of cars and she suddenly drops down a gear and hurtles towards the car in front. Luckily I had enough of a shoulder to go alongside. :eek:

Cheers
Nobby

That's intereting.

I will have to check a truck this evinin, on which I changed PMD a month ago.

Owner called me to tell the egine did stall agian, and finally refuse to start.

I saw it yesterday (was late) and was able to start it but she does run horrible : reving up and down, and quit as soon as I release the accelerator pedal. One time she even quit while I was accelerating, trying to keep her study at 2 000 rpms.
I will try an old stanadyne to see what's going on...

Can you comment on how it was installed and where? Using which heatsink with thermal paste or themal pad, weatherproofed on the outside edge, tightened to certain torque or as tight as humanly possible? That kind of stuff. You can try to revive the failed one by popping off transistor covers, see if the nuts are loose (maybe excessive vibration?). Tighten them up.

Back