• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

pro of air/water intercooler is the better power of water to cool down vs air, short line, no pressure drop from turbo or imperceptible, about no turbo lag, not having to go crazy running large bore pipes through the engine bay.

vs water stores heat and takes longer time to cool down than air.
if you stop the engine and water pump for a short time (for refueling for example) the intercooler tends to accumulate more heat, even more heat from a hot engine shutdown...
so when you restart the engine and the circulation pump, you end up with a remarkable hotter temperature than before, and it takes longer time to bring the system back to an optimal temperature than an air/air intercooler,

several minutes for an air/water system vs few seconds for an air/air system.

what i like about the air/water system is the "no turbo lag", having a turbo that already causes a small turbo lag, very small with my setup, but an air/air intercooler would increase the lag.

I do not own an extended pickup but a 2 door Yucon, so if it were necessary to install an additional large tank to better manage the air/water intercooler, this would stop my enthusiasm to install this type of system

pro of air/water intercooler is the better power of water to cool down vs air, short line, no pressure drop from turbo or imperceptible, about no turbo lag, not having to go crazy running large bore pipes through the engine bay.

vs water stores heat and takes longer time to cool down than air.
if you stop the engine and water pump for a short time (for refueling for example) the intercooler tends to accumulate more heat, even more heat from a hot engine shutdown...
so when you restart the engine and the circulation pump, you end up with a remarkable hotter temperature than before, and it takes longer time to bring the system back to an optimal temperature than an air/air intercooler,

several minutes for an air/water system vs few seconds for an air/air system.

what i like about the air/water system is the "no turbo lag", having a turbo that already causes a small turbo lag, very small with my setup, but an air/air intercooler would increase the lag.

I do not own an extended pickup but a 2 door Yucon, so if it were necessary to install an additional large tank to better manage the air/water intercooler, this would stop my enthusiasm to install this type of system
I originally built this system for a 2 door Tahoe. I also liked the fact that the air-to-water system didn't add additional piping that would increase turbo lag. There is a spot under the floor on the driver side where an auxiliary water tank could be installed. I was going to install batteries there, but the water tank could be installed there instead. Now having said that, I daily drove my Tahoe with a hot rod injection pump and I never had any problems with temperatures, so maybe the intercooler setup without an auxiliary tank will be enough for you.

I'm not a great wine lover, but I like to drink it in the company of friends, a good prosecco or cartizze.
in spite of what one might think the wine production was slightly lower than the previous year, while the quality has improved, the absence of rainfall has improved the quality.
those who like wine don't worry:happy:

I'm not a great wine lover, but I like to drink it in the company of friends, a good prosecco or cartizze.
in spite of what one might think the wine production was slightly lower than the previous year, while the quality has improved, the absence of rainfall has improved the quality.
those who like wine don't worry:happy:
I suppose thats a notch above Boones Farm or Thunderbird. 🤓😹😹😹

I thought you were making a comparison with good Californian wines.... with what you propose a cellarman would be offended. it's not your fault, the culture of wine is millenary, and in your great country there aren't many vineyards, from what little I know, only in California do there exist some excellent wineries. (I'm not referring to the wines that you can find at a cheap discount, where we produce a good bottle of wine you pay over €15, the same bottle in your country could cost over $40). while here in Europe you are spoiled for choice, in Italy alone there are hundreds of wines (there are 341 DOC wines and 78 DOCG wines), each with its own production area and different organoleptic characteristics. one of the best experiences you can have is a food and wine evening, where you could taste the combination of a dish with a particular wine, which brings out its characteristics, pasta dishes, vegetables, meat, cheeses (we also have many and very many of these different). I would like to suggest that you come here to immerse yourself in this fantastic culinary journey, which reflects the history and culture of my country. a completely different reality from what might come to your knowledge "mafia, pizza, macaroni, mandolin" here in Italy we are so immersed in the heritage of history, culture and art, that we don't even notice it anymore and don't give them the right weight, other countries instead exalt what little they have.
come and visit, you will be welcome!!!
seeing is believing:happy:

Last edited:
I thought you were making a comparison with good Californian wines.... with what you propose a cellarman would be offended. it's not your fault, the culture of wine is millenary, and in your great country there aren't many vineyards, from what little I know, only in California do there exist some excellent wineries. (I'm not referring to the wines that you can find at a cheap discount, where we produce a good bottle of wine you pay over €15, the same bottle in your country could cost over $40). while here in Europe you are spoiled for choice, in Italy alone there are hundreds of wines (there are 341 DOC wines and 78 DOCG wines), each with its own production area and different organoleptic characteristics. one of the best experiences you can have is a food and wine evening, where you could taste the combination of a dish with a particular wine, which brings out its characteristics, pasta dishes, vegetables, meat, cheeses (we also have many and very many of these different). I would like to suggest that you come here to immerse yourself in this fantastic culinary journey, which reflects the history and culture of my country. a completely different reality from what might come to your knowledge "mafia, pizza, macaroni, mandolin" here in Italy we are so immersed in the heritage of history, culture and art, that we don't even notice it anymore and don't give them the right weight, other countries instead exalt what little they have.
That is American humor, just having fun is all.
I am a true alcoholic, picking up that next drink is not an option for Me. I admire a person that can drink several alcoholic beverages then put it up and have no cravings for that next drink. I used over 30 years being a drunk and have no desire, or cravings to go back.
I did spend a lot of time, in black outs, drunk on the cheap label wines that We mentioned in our posts.
If I had the ability to drink and leave the harsh desires to drink behind Me, here is a place that I would love to taste their grapes.
Here is a winery that exists right here. Probably two miles from My house upstream on the Tongue River.

Actually, there are award-winning wineries and vinyards all over the United States, not just in California, where soil, weather and varietal of grape are right. Such as the Edelweiss varietal of white grape in areas here in Nebraska has produced National Award winners such as James Arthur Vineyards and Miletta Vista Vineyards have. In fact we have a lot of family-owned vineyards that have started up here in Nebraska over the past 20-25 years as family farmers have found that their terrain/soil/climate conditions make having a vineyard a viable income stream diversification and alternate source of revenue over conventional farming grain production/livestock.

Oh, and your comment about American perceptions of Italy, @alex1234, makes you sound more like a hauty Frenchman!

I'm sorry to have to go further off topic and ruin this tread ...... sorry n8in8or and I also apologize to all the others who will read this tread

but after yet another offensive and derogatory off-topic comment
I think I've earned the right of reply

Oh, and your comment about American perceptions of Italy, @alex1234, makes you sound more like a hauty Frenchman!
Husker6.5 I don't know who you are, and I don't even care to know, but your comments never add value or relevant information to any tread, on the contrary they always have a mostly disparaging tone, do you have an empty and meaningless life? Are you frustrated and looking for revenge here? It's not the first time I've asked you this, this will be the second time I've asked you to kindly ignore me and don't add comments off topic, I absolutely don't care what you have to say, unless your comments are related to the theme of the tread, and add value and knowledge. something that I have never had the opportunity to read so far.

if you really want to reply, try to explain to me and to the others what the relationship of wine was with the intercooler and the correlated ambient temperature.

let's get back on topic

N8IN8OR have you ever thought about upgrading the water pump that supplies the intercooler?
think you used this Bosch 0392022002 for the system, from the few data found I think it is insufficient to create a consistent flow towards the intercooler, especially on WOT

the rate of this pump is 1200 lts/h (20 lts/min) but @ 30kpa (0.3 bar - 4.35 PSI) only

this makes me think that a pump with better characteristics should be used

Attachments

• 0392022002.jpg
    0392022002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
I did some research and focused on these two in particular.

are successfully used on A2W intercoolers, used in BMW, Mercedes, VW, Audi, Porsche

very reable water pumps

the first CWA100 is the one I plan to use
the second is CWA400 a water pump beast (flow above the needs, but why don't go bigger?) on the other hand it has quite high amperage perhaps too much, but manageable. ironically it can be found at a lower price than the CWA100.

both are brushless and manageable with simple and inexpensive few dollars PWM

Attachments

• CWA100-3_EN.pdf
    561.1 KB · Views: 2
  • CWA400_EN.pdf
    626.3 KB · Views: 1
instead of a simple PWM those pump can be very well managed by a dedicated module that manages the pump according to the set temperature, there is a kit prepared for installation (includes the module, connector, and sensor, fuse) install it, run the setup and you can forget it. point against perhaps only the price vs few dollars PWM

Attachments

• uebersicht.jpg
    uebersicht.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
beauty of these electronic pumps is that they can stay off/standby during engine warmup, can use very little amperage during idle or normal road use, and jump to high amperage/flow when required

I'm sorry to have to go further off topic and ruin this tread ...... sorry n8in8or and I also apologize to all the others who will read this tread

but after yet another offensive and derogatory off-topic comment
I think I've earned the right of reply

Husker6.5 I don't know who you are, and I don't even care to know, but your comments never add value or relevant information to any tread, on the contrary they always have a mostly disparaging tone, do you have an empty and meaningless life? Are you frustrated and looking for revenge here? It's not the first time I've asked you this, this will be the second time I've asked you to kindly ignore me and don't add comments off topic, I absolutely don't care what you have to say, unless your comments are related to the theme of the tread, and add value and knowledge. something that I have never had the opportunity to read so far.

if you really want to reply, try to explain to me and to the others what the relationship of wine was with the intercooler and the correlated ambient temperature.
Unwad your panties.
You misunderstood some light hearted jabbing.
Simmer down, enjoy all the forum has to offer and continue to share.
Sometimes the off topic stuff can be very informative and interesting.

Back