• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whining/howling noise from engineroom???

Is this a new noise, or did you just acquire this this truck and are unfamiliar with the normal sounds?

Is it the exact same noise when comparing accelerating and decelerating? How about if you simply rev up the engine when in park/neutral?

I took belt off and all accessories pulleys are rolling freely.Turbo is ok.
Noise is new, I´ve had thos truck for 2 years and it started few weeks ago. Feels kind it´s looseng power when this sound comes in but not sure... Could there be something powerloss relating to that sound...?
Yes I´m pretty sure it is same sound, accel and decel.
And fan seems to rotate freely too.

When that sound comes on engine loses power, what does that??? Sometimes louden and sometimes less. Occationaly it´s workin just fine when that sound is not present...

Do you have a boost gauge? I see you have a turbomaster, but do you see any correlation between the loss of power and boost pressure?

Check the diff oil levels and condition. You in 4x4 by mistake? Woody35 has a good point. Stop and check if the fan is on when it happens. Plugged radiators? Failing fan clutch, bearings locking up...

4x4 not by accident :) Faun clutch may be... Today I drowe 30 km to near by city and back, didn´t work. When we came back home, I ate, changed spark plugs to my wifes Blazer and after that I started truck and it worked fine again!?

Just an idea, but maybe it will help in narrowing it down...

The next time you get the noise, pull over and put the truck in neutral and rev up the engine. I'm absolutely not an expert, but I would think this should at least tell you if it's drivetrain related or engine related.

Just an idea, but maybe it will help in narrowing it down...

The next time you get the noise, pull over and put the truck in neutral and rev up the engine. I'm absolutely not an expert, but I would think this should at least tell you if it's drivetrain related or engine related.

All the help is more than welcome :)
I really think it´s the engine, transmission is repaired about year ago and when that thing occurs at idle eng is shaking bit more that usual and sounds bit odd...

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope (or a really long handled screwdriver... put your ear on the end of the handle)? Maybe try poking around with that and "see what you hear"?

How long can one safely run the engine without the belt on? Maybe the next time you hear it at idle, take the belt off and see if you still hear it? DON'T do this before we find out how long it can be done safely. Just trying to think of things to do to help narrow it down.

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope (or a really long handled screwdriver... put your ear on the end of the handle)? Maybe try poking around with that and "see what you hear"?

How long can one safely run the engine without the belt on? Maybe the next time you hear it at idle, take the belt off and see if you still hear it? DON'T do this before we find out how long it can be done safely. Just trying to think of things to do to help narrow it down.

I´ve had that in my mind too. Here is now about -10 to -15*C so I believe that I could run few kilometer without fear of overheating. My suspects are now fan clutch failing and/or tension pulley wheel. Air conditioning compressor is quite new and not in use (no fluids inside so it won´t go on), vacuum pump has left the engine room and power steering pump feels to rotate ok.
Only thing what wonders me if the fan clutch is about to fail/failed that it rotates freely when turned by hand. But then, also when eng is cold (started for example at -5*C) it still can easily heard that it´s spinning quite fast. How that seems to you?

Back