• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whining/howling noise from engineroom???

It shouldn't spin freely at all should be somwhat hard to turn the fan with the engine off. hard to describe how firm it should be.

I just took at look at mine. I'd call the engine "cool", but not cold. Outside temp is 27* and the truck has been sitting for about 4 hours.

The best I can describe it is that there is resistance when I rotate the fan. If I try to quickly "spin" the fan, it pretty much stops immediately after I let go of the blade. In other words, the fan does not continue to spin after I let go.

I just took at look at mine. I'd call the engine "cool", but not cold. Outside temp is 27* and the truck has been sitting for about 4 hours.

The best I can describe it is that there is resistance when I rotate the fan. If I try to quickly "spin" the fan, it pretty much stops immediately after I let go of the blade. In other words, the fan does not continue to spin after I let go.

It´s about like that how you described it, so I could assume that it´s ok?

Fan clutches only care about the temperature behind the radiator. I have had them at full lockup, screaming, in 30 degree F freezing weather. Depends on the cooling needs.

Is the noise the same "morning sickness" roar you get when you take off after starting the truck? The fan clutch tends to be locked in and kick out in ~2 Min of driving sometimes. This is by design and called morning sickness.

So your fan clutch could be working ok and kicking on due to a restricted radiator, heavy load, engine problems, slipping transmission, dragging brakes, etc. The clutch could be failing, and to test it: Stop and rev the engine to 2K for 2 min. If the clutch does not kick out by 2 min the bearings are locking up and clutch has failed. (Unless things are really hot and the fan needs to run. In case the fan explodes do not rev with the hood up.)

After running the engine or reving for 2 min shut off the engine - assuming the noise quit. The fan should spin by hand 1/2 or more revolutions when completely kicked out. Possible if the fan is hot that it is kicking in to cool things down and not spin much.

I love these "guess that sound" threads. Absolutely worthless
without video/audio. I say she's a screamer and takes it in the rear. Definitely 4wd. Truly a great find. Take care of her.

Back