• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which oil do you guys recommend

pitsingerk

Reaction score
All right, I've been using Rotella 15-40 in my Fords all these years, should I continue to use this same oil in my 6.5L burban? Is there a better oil for the GM engine? Any addatives I should add when I change the oil, I always added a quart of Lucas to the Fords. Now the Ford held 14 quarts and from what I saw in the owners manual, the 6.5L takes 7? Any advice will be appreciated.

Going to move to fluids area as same recommendations for all Diesel trucks represented on the site, Rotella & Delo are about as fine an oil as you'll find in use today, millions of OTR truckers swear by them, I recently chose to switch to Amsoil synthetic, because it is superior to dino oil, enough so I want the extra benefits they provide and the Good Lord enables me enough financial success to afford it, and a good friend here sells it and could use the money :D

X2 to what TD said. Rotella is an excellent oil as well as DELO. CASTROL's HD truck oil though I would reccomend you steer clear of. I used it once in my 6.5 and it burned a quart every 800 miles, switched back to ROTELLA and used a quart after 5000 miles. And if you can afford it AMSOIL is good as well.

I tried the Castrol in my Powerstroke once, drained it after a 1000 miles, it was foaming on me. stuck with the Rotella from then on. Does anyone here use Lukas addatives in there 6.5L. in the strokers, it smoothed them out some.

I've only used 15w40 Rotella T in my Dmaxes. I'm 90% highway miles so I go about 6k to 7.5k between changes. I just did a change at 6.5k the other night and had used about 1 pint in that time... over 106k on the engine... that's a pretty good endorsement to my way of thinking.

I tried the Castrol in my Powerstroke once, drained it after a 1000 miles, it was foaming on me. stuck with the Rotella from then on. Does anyone here use Lukas addatives in there 6.5L. in the strokers, it smoothed them out some.

I use cheapest ND 30W oil I can find and power service grey bottle for fuel addititive, some use cheap 2 cycle oil, the 6.5 can get away with it since it's low pressure fuel system vs common rail setups, with Amsoil lube oil nor the other 2 Dino oils I mentioned earlier do I/did I find any need to put in additional additives to the oil, maybe run some sea foam thru it on your 1st oil change; if you don't know how well previous owner maintained their oil, I also run extended interval-bypass filtering-& oil lab analysis to KNOW when oil is bad, longest interval then was 20K on Rotella & bypass filtration, I'm currently doing a new extended look with Amsoil synthetic to see how long I can stretch an oil change.

Our resident oil expert will prolly weigh in shortly he's still at work I think on his day job of tending to a nuke power plant, but hes a good nuke not one of the "wierded out" ones. :D

I use Amsoil.

I used to be a Mobil-1 & Royal Purple user though. But after the Switch to Amsoil, I'm Happy.

Not that I really Noticed a Difference, but I haven't had any problems, it's Readily Avail. at the Shop I Deal with, and it's a very good Oil.

I use cheapest ND 30W oil I can find and power service grey bottle for fuel addititive, some use cheap 2 cycle oil, the 6.5 can get away with it since it's low pressure fuel system vs common rail setups, with Amsoil lube oil nor the other 2 Dino oils I mentioned earlier do I/did I find any need to put in additional additives to the oil, maybe run some sea foam thru it on your 1st oil change; if you don't know how well previous owner maintained their oil, I also run extended interval-bypass filtering-& oil lab analysis to KNOW when oil is bad, longest interval then was 20K on Rotella & bypass filtration, I'm currently doing a new extended look with Amsoil synthetic to see how long I can stretch an oil change.

Our resident oil expert will prolly weigh in shortly he's still at work I think on his day job of tending to a nuke power plant, but hes a good nuke not one of the "wierded out" ones. :D

Thanks Tim, I think.:smile5:

There are many fine products on the market today that will fit the bill for your truck. They all have strengths and shortcomings. Rotella and Delo are good petro oils and Mobil 1 and Amsoil are good Synthetic ones. (short version).

When you look deeper, you find that what the oil is made from (base stock) as well as additive package can make a big difference in performance and longevity.

Base stock discussion here: http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=7840

What you decide to run is based on different and sometimes competing issues. If you run lots of miles and are changing oil frequently, the idea of an extended drain frequency is very appealing and very economical, choose a synthetic.

If you race/pull, choose a synthetic.

If your truck has 450k miles on it and you run 5k miles a year, continuing with dino oil is perfectly reasonable.

Additives, I'll say this: "I will not under any circumstances, read my lips, ever, put anything that isn't oil into my oil pan unless I am performing an oil flush treatment." Period.

I just posted a thread about oil additives with some discussion that I have posted in the past here:

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?p=174375#post174375

Hope this helps.

X2 to what TD said. Rotella is an excellent oil as well as DELO. CASTROL's HD truck oil though I would reccomend you steer clear of. I used it once in my 6.5 and it burned a quart every 800 miles, switched back to ROTELLA and used a quart after 5000 miles. And if you can afford it AMSOIL is good as well.

Dang thats what I jsut used, the castrol diesel formula. The autoparts store near my house was all out of the delco I usually fill with. The Castrol diesel was the next best thing. Out of curiousity why is Castrol garbage for diesel motors?

i just lost my engine in my 5.0 mustang to castrol oil. Put it in it was fine, lost oil pressure at 80k miles. (This car is nice, has not been beat) Took the oil out and it came out in the consistency of water. Super thin, i could smell no gas or see any other contaminants. Opened up a claim with them, they tested it and said there was contaminants in it, but it wasnt from them. Never again castrol never again!

I have 120K+ on my 2002, used Rotella 15w-40 or Delo-400, my 2007 I have used Rotella 15w-40 and have 37K on it.

I get it at Tractor Supply for $49.99/5 gallon pail and buy my filters in bulk from Baldwin through a friend in North Carolina.

I can do an oil change on each of my Dmax's with the 5 gallon pail, it doesn't get any better than that.

No shipping charges, always in stock and available.

JMHO.

:D

All right, I've been using Rotella 15-40 in my Fords all these years, should I continue to use this same oil in my 6.5L burban? Is there a better oil for the GM engine? Any addatives I should add when I change the oil, I always added a quart of Lucas to the Fords. Now the Ford held 14 quarts and from what I saw in the owners manual, the 6.5L takes 7? Any advice will be appreciated.

I use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Best stuff going IMHO. I run it 7,500 miles between changes with a Mobil 1 filter or an Amsoil synthetic filter. Almost 94K on mine now and I use no oil between changes. Mobil 1 holds oil pressure best in my truck when towing. Mine has always had slightly low oil pressure at idle and other oils including Royal Purple did not hold pressure as well. Dino doesn;t either. If I couldn't find Mobil 1 I run Shell Rotella T synthetic. It's been very good.

I run a pint of 2 stroke per tank and a Nicktane filter, no injector problems on my 2003 so far.

Another good one is Mobil Delvac 1300S. It is on sale at OReilly with BOGOF, comes to around $13 for 2. You need 7 qts, so pretty much 2 gallons with a little bit left over for make up later.

I have a boat with a pair of 1965 Deitroit 8v71n's in it (2 strokes). I use Rotella straight 40 in these and they love it. I had been using Rotella 15-40 in the D Max since new. At about 27000 miles I put in the Rotella synthetic. I have never been a fan of syns but I figured on a $50,000+ truck, why not? It's mostly a daily drive so it has light use and I can go about 8,000 miles. I'm due to change about now.

K

I had been using Shell's Synthetic Rotella-T 5W-40 diesel oil for the first 40,000 miles, but the last two oil changes I switched to Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. I found it at wallyworld for $22/gallon.

I had been using Shell's Synthetic Rotella-T 5W-40 diesel oil for the first 40,000 miles, but the last two oil changes I switched to Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. I found it at wallyworld for $22/gallon.

If you can wait, Autozone and Advanced Auto have a sale every couple of months. They sell 5qts. of any Mobil 1synthetic including the Turbo Diesel and a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99. Almost the same price as WalMart but you get a free filter this way.

If you can wait, Autozone and Advanced Auto have a sale every couple of months. They sell 5qts. of any Mobil 1 synthetic including the Turbo Diesel and a Mobil 1 filter for $29.99. Almost the same price as WalMart but you get a free filter this way.
I didn't know that Mobil sold the Turbo Diesel Truck oil in 5 qt jugs.

We have both Auto Zone and Advanced Auto in town, so I will have to check them out.

rotella all the way in my stroke. used rev-x in the fuel once, and Power service a few times, but no other additives. I use about a qt every 5000 miles with 270,000 miles on the clock.

I didn't know that Mobil sold the Turbo Diesel Truck oil in 5 qt jugs.

We have both Auto Zone and Advanced Auto in town, so I will have to check them out.

No they don't, I have to buy 10qt bottles. Pain in the butt, but still worth it. They have asked me what I intend to do with the second filter since you get 2 but only use 1. I do now have a stock of Mobil 1 filters!

Back