• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which oil do you guys recommend

rotella all the way in my stroke. used rev-x in the fuel once, and Power service a few times, but no other additives. I use about a qt every 5000 miles with 270,000 miles on the clock.

When the temps get around 0 F I like the easy flow of a synthetic oil. The synthetic Rotella is running $19 a gallon and is still not a pure synthetic but a blend. For a couple dollars more, I would rather have a pure synthetic oil such as Mobil 1. Don't get me wrong, the Rotella is one of the best oils out there, just a personal choice.

I too use Rotella T 15w-40 with no issues. Winters have been getting colder so when I change oil in november I put 8 qts of 15w-40 Rotella with 2 quarts of 5w-40 Rotella syn. Just thought I would see if it helps with cold starts or mileage...so far it hasn't, but I plug the truck in once it gets down around freezing.

Also, Tractor Supply Company (TSC) carries Rotella 15w-40 in 10 qt jugs and it is waaay cheaper than the gallon jugs.

I too use Rotella T 15w-40 with no issues. Me too. WhenI bought the truck I didn't know what to use. I knew that alot of trucking companies used Rotella and that it was pretty good oil. My uncle swears by delo 400 but I decided to go with 15W-40 Rotella. I thought about going to a Synthetic oil, but no more than I drive in a year it might be worth it for me.

I just put in ROTELLA 5W40 synthetic and I can't believe how much faster it turns over on a cold start, plus getting oil pressure quicker is nice too. For the $19 a gallon VS the $11 a gallon for 15W40, I think I'll stick with the synthetic. Hot oil pressure dropped maybe 5 pounds at idle, but is a little lower at cruise. Cold oil pressure came down some as well which is nice since I used to hold right at 80 at idle cold.

Winters have been getting colder so when I change oil in november I put 8 qts of 15w-40 Rotella with 2 quarts of 5w-40 Rotella syn. Just thought I would see if it helps with cold starts or mileage...

Jeff, I've always heard not to mix different viscosity oils. I'm sure the dino oil and synthetic mix just fine, but I wouldn't want to run 15W40 and 5W40 mixed together. I think I'd prefer to just move to the 5W40 synthetic if you want to help with cold starts, which it will.

Jeff, I've always heard not to mix different viscosity oils. I'm sure the dino oil and synthetic mix just fine, but I wouldn't want to run 15W40 and 5W40 mixed together. I think I'd prefer to just move to the 5W40 synthetic if you want to help with cold starts, which it will.
Why so? I know that mixing different brands of oil is discouraged because of the additive packages, but if they are the same brand I don't see why diffferent viscosities would matter. Valvoline Dura-Blend is exactly that kind of mix. But hey, what do I know? :confused:

Believe me, I fall into the "but hey, what do I know" category too! I don't have any special knowledge about oil, just have used a ton of it.

My understanding is that Valvoline Dura-Blend isn't a mixture of viscosities, its a semi-synthetic oil. Kind of a dino oil with a lot of synthetic additive.

I can't answer the question of why not to mix viscosities, I've just heard it for 30 plus years. Makes sense to me, I'd want the physical properties of my oil to all be the same, not some of this, some of that.

I doubt you will see any gains by using only 2 qts of 5W40 along with 8 qts of 15W40. Either all or none to get the benefits.

Believe me, I fall into the "but hey, what do I know" category too! I don't have any special knowledge about oil, just have used a ton of it.

My understanding is that Valvoline Dura-Blend isn't a mixture of viscosities, its a semi-synthetic oil. Kind of a dino oil with a lot of synthetic additive.

I can't answer the question of why not to mix viscosities, I've just heard it for 30 plus years. Makes sense to me, I'd want the physical properties of my oil to all be the same, not some of this, some of that.
I hear ya, but when you think about it they are both ultimately 40w oils, and have the ability to flow better in cold weather due to their viscosity ranges (15w-40, 5w-40). So that's what makes me think there would be no real harm.
I doubt you will see any gains by using only 2 qts of 5W40 along with 8 qts of 15W40. Either all or none to get the benefits.
You're probably right, but when reading about Valvoline Durablend it is only 30% syn, granted my concoction is only 20%. I do agree that complete syn fill ups would be way better, but the cost is more than I want to take on....I only tried this once. I figure if you use a good name brand oil and change it every 5000 miles it doesn't matter much unless one is operating in really severe conditions...either weather or weight.

Last edited:
If you are doing oil changes every 5000 miles, then your throwing away good oil. Studies have shown that you can easily get away with 7500 miles oil change intervals with regular store bought oils. The evidence is from the oil analysis reports. Just my humble opinion. To each his own!

Why so? I know that mixing different brands of oil is discouraged because of the additive packages, but if they are the same brand I don't see why diffferent viscosities would matter.

Additive packages can vary significantly from one product to another, even from the same manufacturer. Mixing like that is of limited benefit, if any, and my have negative consequences. It is impossible to tell whether you are helping or hurting. I doubt you are helping much.

Valvoline Dura-Blend is exactly that kind of mix.

Not really, blends are made with a synthetic (Group III or IV) and a petroleum base stock. The additive package is designed specifically for that product using the blended base stocks.

I use the Amsoil stuff, along with the bypass filter system. Goin to disconnect the bypass because of a bad oring and the cost involved with 2 filters. They have extended my oil change to 25k miles at times and always let oil lab people twll me when to change it......

If you are doing oil changes every 5000 miles, then your throwing away good oil. Studies have shown that you can easily get away with 7500 miles oil change intervals with regular store bought oils. The evidence is from the oil analysis reports. Just my humble opinion. To each his own!

Additive packages can vary significantly from one product to another, even from the same manufacturer. Mixing like that is of limited benefit, if any, and my have negative consequences. It is impossible to tell whether you are helping or hurting. I doubt you are helping much.

Not really, blends are made with a synthetic (Group III or IV) and a petroleum base stock. The additive package is designed specifically for that product using the blended base stocks.

I hear ya, but when you think about it they are both ultimately 40w oils, and have the ability to flow better in cold weather due to their viscosity ranges (15w-40, 5w-40). So that's what makes me think there would be no real harm.

You're probably right, but when reading about Valvoline Durablend it is only 30% syn, granted my concoction is only 20%. I do agree that complete syn fill ups would be way better, but the cost is more than I want to take on....I only tried this once. I figure if you use a good name brand oil and change it every 5000 miles it doesn't matter much unless one is operating in really severe conditions...either weather or weight.

:grin: Yikes! I give, I give already....

With 64000 miles on my truck you can see it ain't run all that hard and I end up changing my oil about twice a year which is about 5000 miles. Besides it's easier to remember when to do it, you know, 5, 10 , 15, 20, 25, 30...etc. If I did it at 7500 miles, well that just becomes a math problem...):h

Last edited:
Straight 60w ! :grin:

...:D somebody had to say it...):h

I've been a Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 full synthetic user for years...

But I have the Amsoil in the garage waiting for my next change...:thumbsup:

You beat me to it Paul! I've heard that people get good results from it! ;)

Only trying to help Jeff. There is no substitute for experience!

Back