• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What Engine Did I Get??

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
Hey so i managed to swing a deal with a buddy and i got a spare engine for my truck. It came out of a 1997 GMC 1 tun crewcab long box (yeah its a boat). I figured it would have been a 506 block but it ended up being F13 141. I havent heard about that one? Could somone please chime in and tell me if this block is any good? It has just over 300,000km but had brand new heads 20,000km ago ( i helped Put them in). The injection pump has also been changed about 80,000 km ago. And it runs smoother then the one i have in my truck right now. I think i got a bargin for olny $600........

Attachments

• engine 051.jpg
    engine 051.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5
  • engine 054.jpg
    engine 054.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 4
The 141 is a pre oil squirt block, that's what my 95 has. Given the year of that truck it sounds like it may not be the original. Maybe there were some leftover 141 blocks that got put in 97 models. There is nothing wrong with that block that I know of.

engine060.jpg

So the 141 is an older block then the 506? What are the differences between the 141 and 506? Anything i should look for on this block since the engine is out? I plan on doing the bearings and oil pump before it goes in.

I'm fairly sure the only differences are it's non oil squirt, it has 12mm bolts on all main caps and it would use the low volume oil pump. The high volume oil pump can be used if you want, it would give higher pressure.

ohhh okay so the 506 just has the oil squirters. As long as this engine is a half decent block i dont care. Im gonna take my truck in august black out this summer and i wanna make sure i have a good back up engine if anything happens lol. Thanks for the info NVW.

The only other thing I can think of is the OPS is in a different location. The 141 is easier to get to with the intake in place.

There is no August Blackout this year....or at least that is what I heard from IDP (an affiliate of NADP here in Saskatoon).

How is the old hotrod treating you?

The 141 is said to be a good block. In 97 they did use some 141's as the 506 blocks with squirters didn't make it into full production until roughly 01/97, so early 97's did in fact get 96 141 casting blocks which many got the updated dual stat cooling.

Yes, 141 came after 929, which came after 599. The 141 should have the smaller 10mm outer main cap bolts, which was an attempt to prevent cracking. I dont know of anything really wrong with them, and if it hasnt cracked yet its strong enough. I have heard the 141s had weaker castings than 599 and 929, just from the pecentages of metals in it. Those 97s built in 96 were lucky I guess.

Like a lot of GM's stuff nothing is written in stone, my 95 is a 141, it's original.

Back