• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What Engine Did I Get??

In general the 599 came from 92-94(some early 95's had them), 929 was 95, 141 was 96, and the 506 was for trucks built 01/97+. The 141 has been found in 95's, but oddly enough some 96's have been seen with 929 blocks. The 929 is sort of an odd duck as it was pretty much only used for a short while in 95 and from what I have found had the shortest casting run of any block I've ever seen. I asked PEN about it before and even they were puzzled when I told them I had a 929 block in my BURB.

hey guys my dads truck was made 01/96 what motor do probably have???

the motor has the single t-stat and the 95 air intake on it if that helps...

I think all factory blocks are fine as long as they have not been overheated and properly maintained. I've put 50,000 miles on my 97 squirter supposedly the worst block.

As I redundantly say, the factory gauge shows RED temp at 260.

Common folk pushing these trucks were pushing the engine tough at 230+ thinking it was safe... This is a 6.5 death sentence.

My .02.

They are all fine, unless you happen to actually get one of the 97s that was actually drilled wrong and basically came precracked from the squirters. So yes there were shitty 506s in 97, but lets say maybe only 80% of them used from Jan-Jun 97.

And some of the block castings are actually known to be stronger due to metal content. So although all of them that came properly cast are fine for stock power levels and adhereing strictly to towing limits, there really are differences in them.

But as Matt says, people didnt know that when the gauge read 230 cylinder 8 was blowing its lid from coolant imbalance and the extra turbo heat. And people associated diesel with grunt so try towing heavy stuff or stuff that is a big sail and blow them up.

Wow thanks for all the info guys. So should I install a secondary temp guage for the engine since the stock one is so inacurate? I might as well try and save the 506 i have in my truck right now. And the hotrod is not doing that great. Its in Red Deer getting the tranny rebuilt. I told them i want it to handle what ever the hell im gonna throw at it. And not to go for a long time! So they put in a shift kit alto clutches and a heavy duty torque. Hopfully im good for a while.

Back