• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Well hoping this will be the final saga on my steering for my rig. I had been hearing some sounds from the power steering pump in sharp turns that sounded like it was starving for fluid but it's wasn't low.

I went out into my garage digging around, I knew I had another pump in there somewhere amongst the disaster in there! Finally found it. Now mind you I have been dealing with power steering issues on this truck since I bought it. I had changed pumps a couple of times, boosters and gear boxes over leaks and stiff feeling steering. I think I finally solved the stiffness after I had rebuilt the gear box the first time, then after fixing my mistake having to put the BB's in correctly this last time. this pump sounding like it was starving for fluid has been going on for a while, but hasn't effected anything.

The pump that I had in the garage was new when I bought it and worked but I kept it while swapping parts trying to fix the stiffness feeling. well, with the current pump even after fixing the other issues it had, would always heat up the fluid rapidly, I had put a oven temp probe on the line because the starving noise would start only after things would heat up. the fluid temp would get up to 175+ degrees in just a short drive into town then the noise would start.

So with the stiffness feeling in the wheel now fixed, all the leaks fixed, (why I kept changing boosters) I decided to put the pump back on that I had bought new.

Now I had pulled this pump way back thinking that the parts store had sold me a generic "one size fits all" pump and thought it wasn't pushing fluid the truck needed for both the booster and the box. I pulled the current pump off the truck and pulled it from the reservoir, pulled out the other pump I had in the garage and sat them side by side... Lord only knows why I didn't notice this before, but comparing both pumps I soon realized I had in my garage a P185 high output steering pump! and the pump I had installed was a regular one made for a smaller vehicle!

I should have taken a pic but didn't, the way you can tell is the end cap that holds all the guts, pump veins and whatnot was convex where the one I had installed was concave. you could clearly see the internals in the pump I had in the garage were larger. only problem was the flow and relief valve in it was smaller than the pump I had put in the truck. There are several forum threads in the jeep rock crawler forums on the pressure / flow relief valves in these pumps. you can take the but end of a drill bit to check the flow port size in the valve, also adjust the pressure by the shims in the valve. the one on the high output pump was 9/64" and the one on the other was slightly over 5/32" but not quite 11/64", also the high output pump had more shims making it push at a lower pressure.

This just goes to show when you buy parts from these chain auto parts stores, they come from mfg's and rebuilders that tend to mix and match parts just throwing them together, A1 cardone is one of the major ones.

so here's what I did... I put the high output pump in the reservoir and used the larger valving from the pump I had in the truck on it. installed the pump in the truck, filled it up and took it for a drive.

And would you believe I think I just solved all the issues here! steering was much smoother, no starving noises, and the fluid temp took a good long drive before it topped out at around 165 degrees. I drove all over town, hit some of the main roads, went into the city blocks turning up and down different streets and all seemed smooth. I was out driving around for maybe 45 minutes to an hour before I came back home calling it good!

I guess I had gathered enough parts from these chain auto parts stores dealing with this over the course of a year or more to finally put together the right combination that works for this truck!

This just goes to show, when we have to replace something that breaks on our rigs, wherever you get your parts at, make dam sure it's the right one and not some thrown together part, rebuilt or new.
I did disconnect the wire plug to that variable valve device on the power steering plump of My truck.
I dont know if it really made a difference. I will be ordering the kit to pull that valve and replace it with that adapter kit thats available.

It was a year or so when I bought that pump, I'd have to go back thorough all the paperwork I have from Advance Auto, the gear box was a rebuild one from then by A1-Cardone and so was the boosters. I had to keep exchanging the boosters until I got one that didn't leak, and not wanting to do the same with the gear, I just ordered a complete rebuild kit and went through it myself.

When I bought the pump, I turned in my origional one for the core. the only reason I did that was due to all the constant leaks I had starved the old pump dry so many times from the leaks, it gave up.

Well I now think my ignition switch is acting up! I went out into town, stopped in the burger king drive through to get some burgers, shut the truck off to order. when I tried to re-start, it took several attempts where there was no clicks or anything, just wouldn't crank. I don't recall if there is a crank relay on this rig or it all just runs through the switch straight to the starter. I will have to dig into it in the morning.

I can't remember, does these trucks use a slide type switch with linkage to the key cylinder or the newer style that the switch turns and mounts behind the key cylinder?

Got the switch replaced. Man I gotta say it was a birds nest of wires under there! I ended up cutting out most of the alarm I had installed long ago. it no longer will start the truck, but that part didn't ever work right in the first place. I did manage to keep the most important part working though, the remote lock and un-lock LOL. I am curious if this switch was my issue before I replaced the starter! But that's mud under the bridge now, it has the powermaster installed and I'm not going back to the old one!!

Failed. After putting about 25 miles on the Honda, found a spot of oil in the garage. I’ll go through it. Thinking it’s down to a cover plate on the timing cover, or the timing cover itself. Either way, both are decent jobs. The leak is slow and I do not put a lot of miles on the car, so I’m going to punt for now. Many more important things on my plate.
Revisiting this and I have not seen a drop of oil since, but I have not crawled under it. At the minimum, if it is still leaking, it’s very slow.

Started it for the first time in two weeks. Had been on a road trip with friends from the UK to attend the wedding of former TTS member 635 (Ted to those who know him). The DPF finally solid coded on the Touareg so it is in the shop until someone sources the replacement. But, we rented an Escape but got an Excursion instead. Fun drive but, wouldn’t buy one.

635’s wedding was in Tombstone where he is well known and the ceremony was well attended by locals, distant friends and family to include Wyatt Earp 4th and Great Nephew (he just got out of Hospital, appendectomy).
image000000.jpeg

Ted asked his long time friend, fellow log truck driver and retired Navy Master Chief Jack and I to stand for him.
20230805_173854.jpeg

Reception was held in the Oriental Saloon (Wyatt’s old hang out). My daughter came down with her youngest who wanted to go on lots of walks up and down Allen St. So everyone danced, sang, walked and talked long into the night adding new memories to those of that old town . Great weekend.
IMG_7770.jpeg
Attach0.jpegIMG_7742.jpegIMG_7734.jpeg

Started it for the first time in two weeks. Had been on a road trip with friends from the UK to attend the wedding of former TTS member 635 (Ted to those who know him). The DPF finally solid coded on the Touareg so it is in the shop until someone sources the replacement. But, we rented an Escape but got an Excursion instead. Fun drive but, wouldn’t buy one.

635’s wedding was in Tombstone where he is well known and the ceremony was well attended by locals, distant friends and family to include Wyatt Earp 4th and Great Nephew (he just got out of Hospital, appendectomy).
View attachment 83027

Ted asked his long time friend, fellow log truck driver and retired Navy Master Chief Jack and I to stand for him.
View attachment 83025

Reception was held in the Oriental Saloon (Wyatt’s old hang out). My daughter came down with her youngest who wanted to go on lots of walks up and down Allen St. So everyone danced, sang, walked and talked long into the night adding new memories to those of that old town . Great weekend.
View attachment 83024
View attachment 83026View attachment 83028View attachment 83029
What a grand ceremony.
Thank You for sharing those, and the pics. Too.

View attachment 83027

View attachment 83025

View attachment 83024
View attachment 83026View attachment 83028View attachment 83029
Still rocking the pony tail I see.

How has the truck been running?

I am flying up to SLC 8/30 where April will meet up with me. We attend the Florida @ Utah game on 8/31 and head up to Montana 9/1. So have some time on 8/31 to meet up if you wish.

This is good.
Had one drop of oil in the garage about two weeks ago, but nothing since. That drop was likely residual oil. Still have not crawled under it to inspect.

Engine running fine at 157k miles, but I’ve got noises up front I have yet to pin point. One is a low pitch groan that grows with speed. Wondering if that might be the hardening 8 year old tires. Another that just appeared is a slight squeak with engine speed and wondering if that is the water pump going out.

None of these sounds give me the sense the car is ready to give it up. I drove it 70 miles round trip to Dana Point this week to attend a fishing club meeting and whore myself out for crew. Just lonely working from home most of the week and my wife up in Montana.

Had one drop of oil in the garage about two weeks ago, but nothing since. That drop was likely residual oil. Still have not crawled under it to inspect.

Engine running fine at 157k miles, but I’ve got noises up front I have yet to pin point. One is a low pitch groan that grows with speed. Wondering if that might be the hardening 8 year old tires. Another that just appeared is a slight squeak with engine speed and wondering if that is the water pump going out.

None of these sounds give me the sense the car is ready to give it up. I drove it 70 miles round trip to Dana Point this week to attend a fishing club meeting and whore myself out for crew. Just lonely working from home most of the week and my wife up in Montana.
Yup, I know that feeling, except My partitions is only for several days.

Still rocking the pony tail I see.

How has the truck been running?

I am flying up to SLC 8/30 where April will meet up with me. We attend the Florida @ Utah game on 8/31 and head up to Montana 9/1. So have some time on 8/31 to meet up if you wish.
Yes to the pony tail. looks better tied back.
Truck is running awesome. The PCM I had initially was faulty so I got the spare retuned. No issues.
Visit. Figures. We're heading out to a wedding in San Diego that weekend. Rat Farts.

Well I attempted to work on getting my alarm and remote start working since I had replaced my ignition switch this afternoon. I got most of it all working except for my accessories are not powered when I use the remote start. Following the install using the diagram I have for the 95 model from the GM service book I see none of the wire colors on the switch or the harness the switch connects to are the same as what the book shows, also there are 6 wires in the harness plus two power leads on the harness where the diagram shows only 5 wires out and 2 power in? would some one be able to tell if this page out of the book I have is for my truck? or is there another book I should be looking at?

1692153945976.png

I had the unfortunate event happen on the way to work this morning! just as I was exiting the freeway my truck developed a hard constant miss combined with the smell of raw diesel exhaust smell and some kind of hollow light thumping that sounded like it was coming from the exhaust pipe. I managed to make it into work but you could tell it was only hitting on 7 cylinders. I have no idea what happened, there was no warning of any kind. it's like one cylinder just went dead all of a sudden. Engine temp was barely up to normal as I only drive about 6 miles from the house to work. oil pressure was also good. would anyone have an idea where I should start?

Thinking about it more while at work. the hollow thumping sound I was hearing from the exhaust and engine. I am wondering if there is a chance a piece of carbon could have gotten lodged holding the exhaust valve slightly open? the engine isn't knocking and oil pressure was good. coolant temp was maybe at 170.

I suppose it it's still running this way on my trip home, I could pull the laptop out and do a cylinder cut out test.

Back